PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry now splits your ethnicity between parents

kiterunner
13-04-22, 18:56
A new feature just added to Ancestry DNA: "ethnicity inheritance". You don't need your parents to have tested for this, but it will say Parent 1 and Parent 2, not tell you which is which. They have also updated the ethnicity estimates.

ElizabethHerts
13-04-22, 19:28
Mine looks pretty inaccurate unless an unexpected male fathered one of my female ancestors.

My paternal grandmother was 100% Scottish as far as we can tell.

My mother has no proven Scottish ancestors from a very detailed tree.

Ancestry tells me that I have 21% Scottish ancestry from parent 1 and 16% from parent 2.

I

Mary from Italy
13-04-22, 21:11
Mine seems pretty useless (large amounts of non-existent Scottish ancestry on both sides).

kiterunner
13-04-22, 21:38
I was quite impressed with mine.

Mary from Italy
13-04-22, 21:49
I already had far too much Scottish in my own results; I assumed it was because my father is about 3/8ths Irish, but they've also added quite a lot to what is presumably my mother's side (no Irish), and she has no Scottish ancestors at all.

I've traced most lines on both trees a very long way back (apart from the Irish ones), and they're almost all confirmed by numerous DNA matches.

There's also a ridiculous amount of Scandinavian ancestry on both sides. No doubt there are Viking ancestors way back, but I wouldn't have thought that would give more than a tiny result, if anything.

Phoenix
13-04-22, 23:07
At least my Jewish friend is 100% Jewish on both sides. Not that it does her any good: as everyone as the same DNA, it's impossible to discover relationships.

HarrysMum
14-04-22, 04:26
Wow. My paternal grandfather married my maternal grandmother. Didn’t see that coming.

maggie_4_7
14-04-22, 06:51
Mine looks pretty inaccurate unless an unexpected male fathered one of my female ancestors.

My paternal grandmother was 100% Scottish as far as we can tell.

My mother has no proven Scottish ancestors from a very detailed tree.

Ancestry tells me that I have 21% Scottish ancestry from parent 1 and 16% from parent 2.

That's what I have found, it doesn't make sense because as far as I have gone back my mother has not a bit of Scottish in her and it would come as a great surprise to her if she were alive.

I am assuming Parent 1 is father and Parent 2 is mother the bits I find unusual and unexpected are highlighted in red. I suppose it isn't very accurate at all.

Parent 1 - Father

Scotland - 27%
England & Northwestern Europe - 0%
Ireland - 21%
Norway - 0%
Wales - 2%

Parent 2 - Mother

Scotland - 17%
England & Northwestern Europe - 22%
Ireland - 0%
Norway - 11%
Wales - 0%

Me

Scotland - 44%
England & Northwestern Europe - 22%
Ireland - 21%
Norway - 11%
Wales - 2%

Kit
14-04-22, 07:39
Do not assume parent 1 is your father and 2 is your mother.

Dad's and mine are easy to determine which parent is which due to the Indian DNA but OH
not so easy and his suspected Hugenot's are not showing up. We need more French people to test.

JBee
14-04-22, 08:18
Before the update my son surprisingly didn't have any English dna - the update now says he has 12% which still seems pretty low to me.

I got OH to do a dna to find out where in Ireland his 4 x ggf came from but so far the only people matching the dna who give a location - one in Cork and one in Belfast so no closer.

maggie_4_7
14-04-22, 08:38
Do not assume parent 1 is your father and 2 is your mother.

Dad's and mine are easy to determine which parent is which due to the Indian DNA but OH
not so easy and his suspected Hugenot's are not showing up. We need more French people to test.

I can though because my father was Scottish he was born in Glasgow and has a quite a few Irish ancestors through two of his lines in amongst his Scottish ancestors right back to the 1730s. My mum has a few Scandinavian ancestors way back and all my English connections on my mother's side especially close cousins have shown up with Norwegian DNA.

Sue from Southend
14-04-22, 08:43
In my results Mum has a small percentage of Welsh and Scots ethnicity and Dad has none.
In my sister's results it's reversed! I have never found any Welsh ancestors but with a Jones brick wall in 1800 it's perfectly possible that there are some on the paternal line.

crawfie
14-04-22, 11:41
Mine seem mostly correct, however they have said the my 1% North Philippine is on parent 2 (who I know is my mother)and not on Parent 1, with all the rest of my South Asian (Southern China, Vietnamese and Southern Philippines) Heritage. Like other people they have also assigned her with Scottish and Swedish/Danish percentages, when I have not found anything but English. However as one brick wall comes from Yorkshire, there is a possibility that this could be where they come in.

Mary from Italy
14-04-22, 20:25
I also have no proven Welsh ancestors, but I do have a Shropshire line that's creeping closer and closer to the Welsh border the further back I go :)

Phoenix
15-04-22, 07:31
I can't spot cousin's german heritage on either side. Tis will only be more useful when they attribute DNA matches to parent 1 or 2. Unless, of course, you have cousin marriages. I've already for several single segment matces where Ancestry alone cannot tell wic group of common ancestors we are looking at.

kiterunner
15-04-22, 09:20
They already mark some DNA matches as Father's side or Mother's side.

Phoenix
15-04-22, 09:43
Yes, but that's different: that's you telling them: either specifically, or by having your parents' DNA tested. This is presumably Parent 1, Parent 2.

Margaret in Burton
15-04-22, 11:13
So, do we think parents 1 is father and parent 2 is mother?

Phoenix
15-04-22, 11:39
I don't see how we can. If Ancestry knew, then surely they'd say? They might be able to tell if you were a man, but not if you are a woman.

Kit
15-04-22, 11:50
I can though because my father was Scottish he was born in Glasgow and has a quite a few Irish ancestors through two of his lines in amongst his Scottish ancestors right back to the 1730s. My mum has a few Scandinavian ancestors way back and all my English connections on my mother's side especially close cousins have shown up with Norwegian DNA.

You are not assuming, you are working it out.

No. For my Dad parent 1 is his mother, parent 2 is his father. My paternal Grandfather has Indian heritage so it is easy to determine with parent is which. Without that I wouldn't know.

maggie_4_7
15-04-22, 13:56
You are not assuming, you are working it out.

No. For my Dad parent 1 is his mother, parent 2 is his father. My paternal Grandfather has Indian heritage so it is easy to determine with parent is which. Without that I wouldn't know.

I realise they can't know who is mother and who is father so it is random and the only way is to work it out but that may be difficult for some.

maggie_4_7
15-04-22, 14:07

I don't think, we can unfortunately.

I did notice on mine that I inherited more DNA from my father which is obvious to me already so I know he is Parent 1 but my cousin seems to have Parent 2 as father because of her inherited DNA which is mostly English on her father's side because he has more English how accurate that will turn out to be I don't know.

Also my Scottish/Irish DNA is way higher than I ever expected when I had a DNA test but they have Parent 2 my mother with 17% which I cannot fathom and probably accounts for my Scottish DNA being very high!

It has prompted me to go back and have a look at her ancestors!

Phoenix
15-04-22, 14:21
Until they abandon their notion of Scottishness, and do area grouping for each parent, I won't have a clue as to which parent is which. Mum is 50% East Anglian. DNA follows the paper trail. So she ought to have some degree of East Anglian roots to pass on to me.

maggie_4_7
15-04-22, 14:24
Until they abandon their notion of Scottishness, and do area grouping for each parent, I won't have a clue as to which parent is which. Mum is 50% East Anglian. DNA follows the paper trail. So she ought to have some degree of East Anglian roots to pass on to me.

They do areas though all my Scottish seems to come from the lowlands and borders apparently and the Irish from Nothern Ireland.

The English side seems widespread they originally had the East Coast region but seem to have abandoned that.

maggie_4_7
15-04-22, 14:43
I don't think, we can unfortunately.

I did notice on mine that I inherited more DNA from my father which is obvious to me already so I know he is Parent 1 but my cousin seems to have Parent 2 as father because of her inherited DNA which is mostly English on her father's side because he has more English how accurate that will turn out to be I don't know.

Also my Scottish/Irish DNA is way higher than I ever expected when I had a DNA test but they have Parent 2 my mother with 17% which I cannot fathom and probably accounts for my Scottish DNA being very high!

It has prompted me to go back and have a look at her ancestors!

Deleted - don't think it's right.

Margaret in Burton
15-04-22, 14:56
I can work out on my daughters results which is me and which is their dad by comparing it to mine. OH parent 1 and me parent 2. Don’t have a clue on mine.

Emma has 1% Greek or Albanian.:confused::confused::confused:

Margaret in Burton
15-04-22, 17:14
My daughters between then have Northern Italy, France and Albania or Greece. That adds up to 16%. Must be connected to their great grandfather Peter Henry Harrison. I recall my father in law telling me that when his dad worked down the pit they called him ‘the little Italian’. He hated it. I reckon there’s some truth in it with his ancestry.

ElizabethHerts
15-04-22, 17:31
My daughters between then have Northern Italy, France and Albania or Greece. That adds up to 16%. Must be connected to their great grandfather Peter Henry Harrison. I recall my father in law telling me that when his dad worked down the pit they called him ‘the little Italian’. He hated it. I reckon there’s some truth in it with his ancestry.

I had a thought.

Was Peter Henry Harrison born as Pietro or Petrus?
These are the Italian and Latin names for Peter.

I'm probably clutching at straws, but as you have had such trouble finding him I thought I'd look at RC baptisms.

I haven't found anyone likely to be him. although I did get rather excited over one man, only to find he married someone in 1911.

However, if he had Italian ancestry, RC records could well be worth looking at.

Margaret in Burton
15-04-22, 17:40
I had a thought.

Was Peter Henry Harrison born as Pietro or Petrus?
These are the Italian and Latin names for Peter.

I'm probably clutching at straws, but as you have had such trouble finding him I thought I'd look at RC baptisms.

I haven't found anyone likely to be him. although I did get rather excited over one man, only to find he married someone in 1911.

However, if he had Italian ancestry, RC records could well be worth looking at.

Yes I agree. He said he wasn’t wanted though.

He doesn’t appear to be on the 1891 or 1901 census although born in 1885.
His children were brought up Methodist

ElizabethHerts
15-04-22, 19:27
Yes I agree. He said he wasn’t wanted though.

He doesn’t appear to be on the 1891 or 1901 census although born in 1885.
His children were brought up Methodist

I wonder if he went into an orphanage?

Margaret in Burton
15-04-22, 20:06
I wonder if he went into an orphanage?

I did contact Rotherham archives, where he says he was born. They checked workhouse records but they weren’t complete and nothing.

Margaret in Burton
15-04-22, 20:06
Sorry, this is turning into another thread about PHH.

HarrysMum
15-04-22, 22:23
Mine is completely weird. Parent 1 looks like my maternal grandmother and parent 2 looks like paternal grandmother. Although the German bit messes up that idea. I don’t see how they can work it out. The only matches from my father’s side are silly way back ones. 80% of my close matches are from my maternal grandfather.

Phoenix
16-04-22, 06:20
Mine is completely weird. Parent 1 looks like my maternal grandmother and parent 2 looks like paternal grandmother. Although the German bit messes up that idea. I don’t see how they can work it out. The only matches from my father’s side are silly way back ones. 80% of my close matches are from my maternal grandfather.

In theory, you could inherit all your DNA from two grandparents. It doesn't work like that in practice, but there seems to be far more of my grandfathers' DNA in the mix than my grandmothers'. We only inherit 50% of each parent's DNA. The other 50% is lost to our descendants.

maggie_4_7
16-04-22, 11:17
Is 17% Scotland DNA a lot and would it mean that that Scottish connection/ancestor would be quite close? Or am I misunderstanding DNA distribution?

kiterunner
16-04-22, 12:17
It should mean approx a great-grandparent, but I'm not sure that their Scottish estimates are very accurate yet.

Phoenix
16-04-22, 19:02
I rather think that the parent giving me 13% Scottish is quite possibly Dad, and this should really be Irish. But I will say until I'm blue in the face, I have no Scottish names, nobody living above the Wash, nothing inconsistent with my paper trail. So if I share DNA with Scots, it has to be back a very VERY long time ago and not meaningful in family history terms.

Margaret in Burton
16-04-22, 19:49
I rather think that the parent giving me 13% Scottish is quite possibly Dad, and this should really be Irish. But I will say until I'm blue in the face, I have no Scottish names, nobody living above the Wash, nothing inconsistent with my paper trail. So if I share DNA with Scots, it has to be back a very VERY long time ago and not meaningful in family history terms.

My paper research is 100% English. In fact my very first ethnicity result confirmed that. Now I have Scottish, Irish, Swedish and Germanic Europe.

Kit
17-04-22, 08:49
It should mean approx a great-grandparent, but I'm not sure that their Scottish estimates are very accurate yet.

My Scottish ethnicity is strange. It was 10% and went down to 1%. My Irish has gone up from 5 to 10% and my Swedish/Denmark has totally gone.

It is likely my Scottish came from my paternal grandfather, rather than my paternal grandmother and I believe my Irish came from my maternal grandfather.

It is interesting to see how the DNA has travelled down. Now if only I could work out which parent is which for OH.

maggie_4_7
18-04-22, 08:01
I can work out on my daughters results which is me and which is their dad by comparing it to mine. OH parent 1 and me parent 2. Don’t have a clue on mine.

Emma has 1% Greek or Albanian.:confused::confused::confused:

That's interesting but has thrown up more mysteries for you.

Have they got any Irish?

Margaret in Burton
18-04-22, 09:01
That's interesting but has thrown up more mysteries for you.

Have they got any Irish?

Emma has 68% England and North Western Europe - of which 35% is me
15% Scottish - 8% me
3% Northern Italy - all her dads side
3%France - all her dads side
3% Wales - all from me
3% Ireland - all on her dads side
2% Sweden and Denmark - all from me
2% Norway - all from me
1% Greece and Albania - all her dads side

Lorna has England and North Western Europe 77% - 43% from me
Scotland 14% - 7% from each us us
Northern Italy 9% - all from her dad

My paper research doesn’t move out of England

-

Anstey Nomad
20-04-22, 15:50
One day we'll get him Marg. One day.

There were Italians in Rotherham around the time of his birth.

Margaret in Burton
20-04-22, 20:57
One day we'll get him Marg. One day.

There were Italians in Rotherham around the time of his birth.

Emma and Lorna’s DNA matches seem to work with anything we can trace but it seems nobody in his family has tested.

If only his army record hadn’t been ‘weeded’ (their words not mine). Only summarises his earlier service pre 1913 when he was called up again