PDA

View Full Version : Jane Laurence

kiterunner
29-01-10, 07:39
(did I hear a groan?)

Name - "official" name and what they were known as Jane Laurence
Date and place of birth About 1843, either Newington Butts, Surrey or Basingstoke, Hampshire
Names of parents Henry Parker and Jane Lawrence
Date and place of baptism - if applicable Don't know
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 26 Feb 1876 at St Stephen's Church, Hampstead, to Walter Horner Brown, two weeks before her first child was born
Occupation(s) - if any None
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on.
1851 - 26 Royal Street, Lambeth, Surrey
1861 - not found
1871 - not found
1881 13 Eton Villas London age 33 born Newington Butts, Surrey
1891 88 Adelaide Road, Hampstead, London, age 42 born Basingstoke
Date, place and cause of death 15 Aug 1893 at 88 Adelaide Road, Hampstead, chronic kidney and liver disease
Date and place of burial / cremation. 19 Aug 1893 Highgate Cemetery, London, grave number 21892, square 35, with Walter and his mother
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable None
Memorial inscription - if any Don't know

ElizabethHerts
29-01-10, 08:35
KiteRunner - deleted - I read your post 3 times and didn't spot it - sorry!

kiterunner
29-01-10, 08:50
Oops, forgot to put her husband's name in! That's what comes up typing it up in a rush before taking daughter to school, thanks Elizabeth.

Laurence was her maiden name, and Brown her married name.

The only other info I have is:

The witnesses at the wedding were James Wacogne and Raynham W Stewart, but I think they were most likely friends of her husband
Spinster, full age, residence Hampstead - not very helpful!

Extract from her husband's will:
Whereas under or by virtue of the Settlement made of my marriage with my late wife dated the twenty sixth day of February one thousand eight hundred and seventy six and made between myself of the first part my late wife therein described by her then name of Jane Lawrence of the second part and Charles James Macintosh and Thomas Brown of the third part divers trust funds are settled in trust for myself during my life and after my decease upon trust for my issue under which I have a testamentary power of appointment over such trust funds in favour of all or any exclusively of the others or other of my children or remoter issue in such shares and manner as I may think fit...

Charles James Macintosh seems to have been involved in Walter's company, and I would think Thomas Brown was Walter's cousin Thomas Marshall Brown, but I've never been able to work out whether the money was Walter's originally which he gave to Jane as a settlement, and it then reverted to him on her death, or if it was hers originally. If only I could see a copy of the marriage settlement! Or if the will quoted it in full!

kiterunner
29-01-10, 09:02
Elizabeth, I only added her husband's name after you posted your question!

Oh, and I have acquired a couple of "wrong" birth certificates over the years, both with surname spelt Lawrence - 13th Oct 1844 19 Princes Square, Kennington, Lambeth, and 13th Oct 1848 2 York Street, Newington. Ooh, I never noticed both of those were born on the 13th of October! I have no idea what my Jane's date of birth was, though.

ElizabethHerts
29-01-10, 09:03
Elizabeth, I only added her husband's name after you posted your question!

Oh, and I have acquired a couple of "wrong" birth certificates over the years, both with surname spelt Lawrence - 13th Oct 1844 19 Princes Square, Kennington, Lambeth, and 13th Oct 1848 2 York Street, Newington. Ooh, I never noticed both of those were born on the 13th of October! I have no idea what my Jane's date of birth was, though.

:d I thought I was going senile!
(No wise cracks, please!)

kiterunner
31-01-10, 22:39
I've just found her death notice in the London Daily News 21st Aug 1893 but it doesn't add any more information to what I already know.

Edit - just so I have this info somewhere to hand - on the 1871 census, Walter Horner Brown and his mother have a servant Emma Lawrence age 21, born Islington, but I think she is Emily Lawrence on earlier censuses, the daughter of Thomas Lawrence and Ann(e) nee Aylward, who married in 1841 and don't have a Jane with them on any censuses.

kiterunner
26-08-22, 22:04
DNA matching leads me to believe that this is her (the one age 7) on the 1851 census:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/8860/images/SRYHO107_1571_1571-0582?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=c749c1930e7188e7df5e1b4a88f9088c&usePUB=true&_phsrc=UMN23084&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=868422

26 Royal St, Lambeth, Surrey
James Aldridge Head Unm 40 Cabinet Maker Gosport
Henry Parker Head Mar 28 Turner & Carver St Georges Surry
Jane Wife Mar 30 Ellisfield Hants
Jane Daughter 7 Walworth Surry
Daniel Keshaw Head Unm 21 Clerk Dublin.

On other censuses, Jane sr's birthplace is Basingstoke, which is my Jane's birthplace on the 1891 census. Surely it can't be a coincidence!

This seems to be the parents' marriage:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/3516689:1623?tid=&pid=&queryId=abd8751b02092cc678d3041085396bc1&_phsrc=UMN23085&_phstart=successSource

5 Oct 1886 (not a typo), St John, Waterloo Rd / St John the Evangelist, Lambeth
Henry Parker full age, bachelor, pattern maker & turner, father James Parker, carpenter & turner. Jane Lawrence full age, spinster, father Robert Lawrence, farmer. Both give their residence as 9 Stangate. Marriage by banns. Witnesses Alexr Frazer and Elizabeth Watson.

Henry is in Lambeth on the 1841 census with his father James, a wood turner, and family, and the relatively strong DNA matches that I have found are with descendants of his (presumably half-) siblings.

I haven't found a birth reg or baptism for Jane jr yet though, nor have I found her on the 1861 or 1871 census - she is not with Henry and Jane sr on any census apart from the 1851.

Phoenix
27-08-22, 01:41
Do you have any idea why the marriage is so very late? It looks as if Jane snr's parents died just before civil registration, within months of each other. Could either Jane or Henry have contracted an unsuccessful marriage? Have you found Jane snr in 1841? Her mother's maiden name appears to be Barns, but I'm not sure that that helps.

I did wonder whether Jane jnr could have been a boarding pupil somewhere, and if her mother had been previously married, possibly using a different surname? But that doesn't lead any where.

kiterunner
27-08-22, 09:42
I don't know anything about them yet! I only just found the 1851 census entry yesterday. You would think one of them was already married and had to wait for a spouse to die, but then they are bachelor and spinster on their marriage to each other.