PDA

View Full Version : The far reaches of my tree

marquette
20-01-22, 04:17
I have been doing a bit of checking, looking to fill in some outer branches - I noticed that Ancestry said the man I was adding is "Step grandson of paternal 1st cousin of wife of 3rd great grand-uncle".

I think that's far enough. How far is too far sideways ?

I did not go there on purpose, I was just following the census records and wills and such-like and they have such interesting names!

Back to the 3rd great grand uncle and pick up another line.

Merry
20-01-22, 08:24
It's totally up to you who you add to your tree!

I inherited a photo album with labelled photos mainly from around 1850-1900. Out of maybe 100-150 people, less than 5 are my blood relatives and the majority are related to the spouse of one of those relatives, some very distantly. I have a big chunk of my tree dedicated to to identifying as many of the photo subjects as possible and have probably managed about 90% of them. This hasn't just added 100-150 people to my tree - probably more like 1000! lol

I have two other branches that extend sideways a long way from my own relatives because the research was far more interesting than my bit - lots of complicated intermarrying. I call it research training! lol

Olde Crone
20-01-22, 08:34
Anyone and everyone goes on my tree, even the ones who turn out to be nothing to do with me - in case I ever come across them again and forget I've ever researched them, lol.

I only ever had two matches on GR. One had a wonderfully well researched tree but our only common person of interest was the new husband of a widow who had previously been married to the son of a second wife on my tree, lol.

OC

Merry
20-01-22, 09:57
Anyone and everyone goes on my tree, even the ones who turn out to be nothing to do with me - in case I ever come across them again and forget I've ever researched them, lol.

lol This happens to me a lot these days!!

Olde Crone
20-01-22, 10:59
Years ago, when still on the hunt for James Holden's first wife, I happened on a very likely candidate and excitedly sent off for the marriage cert. Fortunately, I ordered it from the local RO, because they rang me and said - you do know you have already bought this, don't you?

What made it worse was that I already had the information in my tree! (Wrong couple).

OC

Phoenix
20-01-22, 11:49
lol This happens to me a lot these days!!

I was adding a great aunt's mother-in-law to the tree, and was surprised to discover that Stuckes was not a new surname. Silly me: possibly from the time I merged two version of the same tree, I had her married twice - to both Ted and Edward:o

I take my tree where ever my fancy leads me - which distressingly often these days is up the same garden path I followed in the past.:d

ElizabethHerts
20-01-22, 13:22
I too am guilty of digressing from my main ancestral lines - and worse than that!

As OPC of a Cornish parish, I have transcribed scores of wills and I invariably make trees for the testator and beneficiaries. Initially, they were on my own computer but now I have started putting them on Ancestry as public trees to help people with their research, as often wills are the only way forward with one's research. I have also got quite a few trees to establish how I'm linked to some of my unknown DNA matches. :o

marquette
20-01-22, 20:25
I too am guilty of digressing from my main ancestral lines - and worse than that!

As OPC of a Cornish parish, I have transcribed scores of wills and I invariably make trees for the testator and beneficiaries. Initially, they were on my own computer but now I have started putting them on Ancestry as public trees to help people with their research, as often wills are the only way forward with one's research. I have also got quite a few trees to establish how I'm linked to some of my unknown DNA matches. :o

I have been transcribing some wills from the Terrell/Tyrrell family which might be mine - trying to sort out the many Williams, Thomas's and Francis's. They are a helpful lot, often leaving money for mourning clothes for many relatives - which means I know who is not my branch (who don't seem to have left wills). I have also put them into my public Ancestry tree, in the hope that it will help someone one day - with lots of notes about the whys and wherefores.

I realise I have also wandered way off the tree before - one of OH's far cousins married a woman from an strange birthplace - well, I just had to check with previous census to find out if it was correct. Previous census showed she was living next door to some of my rellies in Berkshire.

Maybe I will keep going with the Lamottes, at least till the public records run out!

Kit
21-01-22, 01:13
Follow whoever you want. Recently I was researching a distant-ish branch and found they intermarried into another family, not mine, regularly. As that other family affect part of my family I researched them a little and I think they end up marrying into my closer family later on. I just haven't got that far yet to complete the connection.

Kit
21-01-22, 01:17
I've started making notes on my tree to try an avoid duplicating research as I spent days trying to figure out if the person in my tree was the person in the records I was looking at. Once I found the final piece of the puzzle to prove he wasn't my man I remembered that I had found that piece before, and worse it had only taken me hours last time to sort it out.

It remains to be seen if I will read my notes BEFORE I duplicate research but I live in hope, or delusion ...

kiterunner
24-03-22, 22:03
I wouldn't normally do this, but today I added the parents of the husband of my 8xg-aunt so that I could add his brother and then the brother's daughter, all just so I could add her husband - Jethro Tull. Otherwise if I tell anyone that my family had a connection to him, I would never remember exactly what the connection is!

Merry
25-03-22, 07:02
She can't be married to the whole band though, Kate! :D:D:D:D

I did a similar thing to get Edward Jenner on my tree - I think his great-niece married my ancestor's brother, or v similar.

Honestly, I don't think It would have occurred to me to think of the original Jethro Tull if I found the name Tull on my tree, even though I have heard of him. I often wonder how many people have added a 'famous' relation without even realising it, because the famous wasn't well known to them!

Kit
27-03-22, 09:26
I often wonder how many people have added a 'famous' relation without even realising it, because the famous wasn't well known to them!

I have a famous person in my tree. I know he is famous as I googled his grandmother, who is in my tree and there was some history about her being his grandmother. I then had to google him as I had no idea, but google is full of images and information about Lemmy. :confused:;(:eek::rolleyes:

At least I had my choice of pictures to add to the tree.;)

crawfie
27-03-22, 12:45
Just recently I was found a new branch to my tree, and was going down the line adding in rellies and their spouses. One of the women married a man called David Scofield. I then realised he used his middle name professionally and was better known as Paul Scofield.

Janet
28-03-22, 04:47
What a find, crawfie! Did you swoon?

crawfie
28-03-22, 10:03
I was quite impressed. However my son, being a bass player, would have been much more impressed had it been Lemmy!

Margaret in Burton
29-03-22, 16:39
I have a famous person in my tree. I know he is famous as I googled his grandmother, who is in my tree and there was some history about her being his grandmother. I then had to google him as I had no idea, but google is full of images and information about Lemmy. :confused:;(:eek::rolleyes:

At least I had my choice of pictures to add to the tree.;)

You’re related to Lemmy? Wow. I’m jealous. I did think I had the winning jockey of the 1907 Grand National, Alf Newey, but later found out mine was a postman. :D:D

maggie_4_7
29-03-22, 16:48
I have Maurice James Handford a relative through a Sayer descendent so yes distantly related but I expect no one to know him and also Hermione Ferdinanda Gingold by marriage only.

Merry
29-03-22, 17:41
It's much better if you list the people you have been told you are related to, rather tham bothering with any facts!:

Michael Caine/Maurice Micklewhite
John James Sainsbury
Cyrus Clark
Edward Jenner
Bombardier Billy Wells

I'm close to 100% sure I'm not related to any of these!

Margaret in Burton
30-03-22, 09:56
I have Maurice James Handford a relative through a Sayer descendent so yes distantly related but I expect no one to know him and also Hermione Ferdinanda Gingold by marriage only.

I’ve started my cousin’s husbands tree and his grandmother was a Sayer. Lavinia Florence.

Olde Crone
30-03-22, 10:09
Here's my never mind the facts list -

Alexander Bell (telephone) (well, we might be, but as my Bell relative was illegitimate, who knows).
Jane Seymour - the Seymour name in our family comes from a 19th century Manchester grocer, not Henry VIII.
Shakespeare - again, the path back to him is blocked by illegitimacy.
The de Traffords of Trafford Park fame. No connection that I can see in the last 500 years.

And yes, I have researched all these to see if they were true, lol.

OC

maggie_4_7
30-03-22, 11:14
I’ve started my cousin’s husbands tree and his grandmother was a Sayer. Lavinia Florence.

Where was she born?

Margaret in Burton
30-03-22, 12:02
Where was she born?

Cholsey, Berkshire. Parents John and Emma

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/2352/images/rg14_06509_0315_03?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=yiI2&_phstart=successSource&pId=44461201

maggie_4_7
30-03-22, 12:49
Cholsey, Berkshire. Parents John and Emma

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/2352/images/rg14_06509_0315_03?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=yiI2&_phstart=successSource&pId=44461201

I don't think they are connected to my Sayer family. Mine came from Norfolk then to London, some to USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand they are a globe trotting dynasty.

Margaret in Burton
30-03-22, 12:55
I don't think they are connected to my Sayer family. Mine came from Norfolk then to London, some to USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand they are a globe trotting dynasty.

I don’t think I’ve found a connection to Norfolk. I’ll look next time I’m on the laptop.

Mary from Italy
31-03-22, 21:55
I'm actually related by marriage to Shakespeare's granddaughter Elizabeth Hall, whose 2nd husband was my 9xggrandfather (I'm descended from him and his first wife).

Also very distantly related to Alexander Armstrong, and distantly related by marriage to Ludovic Kennedy and Jane Goodall.

Going even further back, I'm very very distantly related by marriage to Guy Fawkes :)

kiterunner
01-04-22, 22:57
I think I've just found the link between my Spencer ancestors and those of Prince William - my 1st cousin 16 times removed, John Spencer, who died in 1522, bought Althorp in 1508, according to Wikipedia, and presumably William must be descended from that Spencer line though I haven't found a handy pedigree to check yet. But of course this is definitely not my biological line, just my official one!

Katarzyna
02-04-22, 15:12
I am related to Sir Stephen Henry Molyneux Killik elected Lord Mayor of London in 1934.
He is my 1st cousin 4 x removed. He looks a bit froggish and small to us but both my grandad and great grandad on my mother's side were quite small whereas my dad's side was very tall. (we aren't are froggish looking tho'!)

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-lord-mayors-show-3/query/Killik

HarrysMum
09-04-22, 20:01
I found Pierce Brosnan and Hugh Grant are related to each other via me. I know how each is related to me, Pierce and lot closer than Hugh, but how they relate to each other is via marriage and many miles apart. Was funny to find though when I realised it.

Somehow I am related, through marriage as far as I can sort, to Sir John Hawkins. The connecting person became a slave in South America. I must find that story and see if I can work out the actual connection. I know it comes from my maternal grandmother’s line, the Horswill/Horsewell and other various spellings.