PDA

View Full Version : if you have time - my challenge

garstonite
11-12-21, 10:54
Baptism: 17 Apr 1707 St Michael, Huyton, Lancashire, England
Richard Lowe - son of James Lowe
Abode: Hyton
Register: Baptisms 1578 - 1727
about 7 miles from where most of us still live - - my 6 x G grandfather............
Richard Lowe marries Ellin Wood - 2 -10 -1732 St Michaels ,Huyton

does anyone think it is possible to find Richards mother that married my 7 x G Grandfather James Lowe and if Richard had any siblings - I can't find either ??
thanks for reading :)

Olde Crone
11-12-21, 13:22
Allan, how sure are you of that baptism? I note on lan-opc it states private transcription. I have found to my cost that private transcription sometimes means "I made it up" lol, to cover illegitimacy.

OC

kiterunner
11-12-21, 14:56
The baptism is also on Ancestry, in a database supplied by FamilySearch, with reference FHL Film Number: 0844818 IT 3, 0844848 IT 3. The first of these comes up in FamilySearch's catalogue as "The parish register of Huyton (Lancashire), 1578-1727" from the Lancashire Parish Register Society. So it seems genuine.

Olde Crone
11-12-21, 15:13
Thank you Kate. It was the "private transcription" that worried me.

OC

garstonite
11-12-21, 15:59
I had a message on Geneanet from another Oakes descendant giving me the details - so whenever I am stuck - as you know I always post on GF - because of all the Research sites I use GF has without doubt the best researchers ..that is from the heart - ...xxxx

kiterunner
11-12-21, 16:03
Thanks, Allan.

According to both Lancs OPC and Ancestry, Richard's marriage to Ellin took place at All Saints, Childwall, not at Huyton.

kiterunner
11-12-21, 16:04
Don't know whether you have this already, but there is a James Lowe baptism 26 Oct 1675 at Huyton, son of James Lowe. Could be your Richard's father. But I haven't managed to find James's marriage yet.

garstonite
11-12-21, 17:07
Thanks, Allan.

According to both Lancs OPC and Ancestry, Richard's marriage to Ellin took place at All Saints, Childwall, not at Huyton.

That is 4 miles from my home and 1 mile frrom where I was born - I can't believe that -
I went to the graveyard about 3 year ago looking for a grave for someone - That is the first connection with All Saints, Childwall - and I am very happy about that ..
I seen that 1675 baptism and I have James as b 1675 - but I KNOW it is not confirmed ..... this i why I have come to a dead end - silly I know - but on my dads side I am back to 1675 - and on my mums side I am back to 1675 - uncanny - I have this stupid wish of getting back to the Civil WAR PERIOD of 1642-1651 ...daft aren't I ...lol...THE GREAT news i I have grandchildren / great nephews / great nieces who all asked for the tree so they could take it in to school - I had no idea many many schools encourage Geneaology present day ...all the young ones think Grandad / Uncle Allan is great - because the teachers give them a pat on the back for their Genealogy research ....lol

kiterunner
11-12-21, 17:30
Erm, it says on here that a James Lowe was the vicar of Huyton from 30 Sep 1706, after the death of the previous vicar, John Lowe:

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol3/pp151-157

He wasn't in post for very long, because the next vicar took over on the 25th May 1708. But it doesn't say that James had died, so maybe he moved to another parish.

kiterunner
11-12-21, 17:43
The Lancashire Will Search site has John Low of Huyton, admon with inventory 1706. So no will.

garstonite
11-12-21, 17:46
ooohh that is very interesting - I might visit St Michaels church next week - website says Vicar is available 7-45 am each weekday original church built 14th Century Thanks very much Kate - great info ...xxxx it is about 7 miles from where I live

garstonite
11-12-21, 17:53
THANK YOU BOTH - Very good info gained today - as always xxxx

kiterunner
11-12-21, 18:22
Looking through Lancashire OPC, there is this entry:

Marriage: 1 Jan 1705/6 St Mary the Virgin, Deane, Lancashire, England
Jacobus Low, clericus -
Margareta Hatton -
Register: Marriages 1686 - 1751, Page 543, Entry 40
Source: Private Transcription

Jacobus = James, and clericus = clergyman or clerk.

I wonder whether it is the same James? I know that Deane isn't very close to Huyton, but it's before James Lowe took over as vicar at Huyton.

kiterunner
11-12-21, 18:30
The vicar of Deane at the time was a Richard Hatton. He died in 1712 and he did leave a will, which I assume is available from Lancashire Archives. I'm probably clutching at straws, but possibly Margaret was his daughter, and possibly his will might mention the Lowe family.