PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Michael Morton

Murphy
29-11-21, 17:13
Hi

I'm trying to find details of Michael Morton, for a relative.

He was supposedly born in Maine, USA in 1824 and dying in 1862, but place unknown....apparently, we think he was a shipwright.

He reportedly had a son, Michael John Joseph Morton born Portland, Maine, USA in 1859 and dying in Birkenhead, Cheshire, England in 1916.

I have been able to trace this Michael J Morton and his family in England after he arrived here, but struggling to find details of his family leading up to his birth in USA in 1859.

Can anyone please trace this Michael Morton born Maine, USA 1824 ?

Any help appreciated - thanks.

kiterunner
29-11-21, 18:07
Can you give us some details of what you have found out about Michael J Morton's life in England, please? Have you found him on censuses? If so, what does it say for his birthplace on those censuses? Did he get married in England? If so, what are his father's details on the marriage certificate?

ElizabethHerts
29-11-21, 18:18
This looks like the death you mentioned:

First name(s) Michael J
Last name Morton
Gender Male
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth year 1861
Age 55
Death quarter 3
Death year 1916
District Birkenhead
County Cheshire
Volume 8A
Page 479
Country England
Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Civil Deaths & Burials
Collections from Great Britain, England

ElizabethHerts
29-11-21, 18:22
1891 Census:

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBC%2F1891%2F0019706288

ElizabethHerts
29-11-21, 18:24
1901 Census:
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBC%2F1901%2F0020833086

ElizabethHerts
29-11-21, 18:32
A public tree on Ancestry has Michael Morton senior's burial here:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/146295127:60525?ssrc=pt&tid=165120807&pid=212145665009

ElizabethHerts
29-11-21, 18:33
Other family members mentioned:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/182132006/michael-morton

You would have to verify this.

kiterunner
29-11-21, 18:34
The family trees on Ancestry have Michael John's mother as Minerva, and this is a cemetery record for the family showing Michael (sr) 1824-1862, Minerva 1832-1882 and a son Dellie 1859-1864:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/61897/images/FS_007586529_01315?treeid=165120807&personid=212145665010&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Ctf25609&_phstart=successSource&pId=184586

This is linked to some trees as the 1860 US census entry for the family:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/7667/images/4231313_00722?treeid=165120807&personid=212145665009&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Ctf25610&_phstart=successSource&pId=44894282

Thorndike, Waldo, Maine
Michael Morton 36 Farmer born Maine
Major Morton (male) 33 Farmer born Maine
Elizabeth Morton 61 born Maine
Manerva Morton 28 born Maine
Orison Morton (male) 31 Farmer born Maine
Susan E Morton 19 born Maine
James D Morton 1 born Maine.

James D could be "Dellie" but there is no Michael jr with them. Maybe he was born after the 1860 census was taken, though.

Michael and Minerva's gravestone is on Find a Grave but not much further info on it.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/182132006/michael-morton

Bennett was Minerva's second married name (she married Angs C Bennett in 1868 in Maine - probably his actual name was Augustus), Philbrick her maiden name. There is a marriage listed for Michael Morton and Minerva Philbrick 2 Jun 1856 Belfast, Maine.

But nothing yet to prove whether this is your Michael John's family.

kiterunner
29-11-21, 18:40
Apparently Minerva's second husband, A C Bennett, died in Feb 1870 so no use looking for him on the main 1870 US census:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/8756/images/32145_222226-00510?pId=2633525

If we could find Minerva on the 1870 census we could see whether she has a son Michael with her.

kiterunner
29-11-21, 18:49
But I think the main thing you need to do is get a copy of Michael John's marriage certificate if you haven't already got one, to see his father's details on there.

Murphy
30-11-21, 01:04
Can you give us some details of what you have found out about Michael J Morton's life in England, please? Have you found him on censuses? If so, what does it say for his birthplace on those censuses? Did he get married in England? If so, what are his father's details on the marriage certificate?

Thank you for those replies Kiterunner & Elizabeth.

Yes, sorry, I should have put more detail.....

So, Michael J Morton married Ann Jane Robinson July 1889 in Birkenhead (England & Wales marriage index). More precisely, they were married at St. Laurence's RC church, Birkenhead on 13 August 1889. Michael Morton, age 28, living at 107 Park St, Birkenhead - father, Michael Morton, shipwright.
Ann Jane Robinson, age 21 living at 257 Brook St, Birkenhead - father Henry Robinson, labourer.
I don't have copy of the actual marriage certificate though - but, could obtain one.

1891 England Census - Michael Morton at 61 Watson St, Birkenhead age 32. Occupation - Ferry boat sailor. Born Portland, Maine, USA. Also, Anne J Morton (nee. Robinson), wife, age 22 - born Birkenhead. Francis H Morton, son, age 7 months - born Birkenhead.

1901 England Census - Michael Morton at 42 Queensbury St, Birkenhead, age 42. Occupation - Dock labourer. Born America. Ann J Morton, age 33, wife. Frank Morton, son, age 11. Winifred Morton, daughter, age 5. Robert Morton, son, age 1 - all born Birkenhead.

1911 England Census - Michael Morton at 289 Brook St, Birkenhead, age 50. Occupation - Dock labourer. Birthplace - Birkenhead. Ann Jane Morton, wife, age 43. Frank Morton, son, age 20. Florence Morton, daughter, age 15, domestic servant. Robert Morton, son, age 11. Julie Morton, daughter, age 6. Frances Morton, daughter, age 3. Catherine Morton, daughter, age 2.

July 1916 - Michael J Morton died aged 55, Birkenhead (England & Wales Death Index)

After reading your posts, I'm also not certain now whether the Michael Morton senior I mentioned at the top, is the correct one - could be ? But, in the burial records you've mentioned he's given as a farmer, whereas according to Michael John's marriage record his father is given as a shipwright. Also, no mention of a Michael John in the list of family members on those records, even though from the 1891 & 1901 England Censuses he's shown as born in 1859. Although, in the 1911 census his age is given as 50 and his death record in 1916 is shown as 55, which would make him born in 1861 - so a bit confusing.

garstonite
30-11-21, 06:20
I can see a Shipwright ( Ships Carpenter ) settling in Birkenhead / Liverpool at that time - the river Mersey Shipping route was the busiest in the world - but not a farmer - Cheshire BMD has Ann as Robison on the official Marriage Certificate - is this a mistranscription - as for the census stating Michael - Ferry Boat Sailor - Ferry Across The Mersey - back and forth over to Liverpool - would be a doddle - a great job - a bit of fun - but here in Liverpool we call Birkenhead The One Eyed City - because when the people on the Ferry come over to Liverpool from Birkenhead - the sun is always in their eyes - and they get off the Ferry with one eye closed -
the Cheshire BMD Marriage Certificate
MORTON Michael John ROBISON Ann Jane 1889 Birkenhead, Civil Marriage or Registrar Attended Wirral BW/35/62

Michaels Death Certificate
MORTON Michael Joseph 55 1916 Birkenhead Wirral BIR/152/90

SO marriage as Michael JOHN - death as Michael Joseph ? curious

garstonite
30-11-21, 06:26
don't know if it helps Geneanet has Minerva as born Dorchester ,Maine - a shipping Port - so Michael senior probably met Minerva in the Port and looks to be a Shipwright / Seaman ??
might even have been born there ?

https://en.geneanet.org/fonds/individus/?sexe=&nom=philbrick&ignore_each_patronyme=&prenom=minerva&prenom_operateur=and&ignore_each_prenom=&place__0__=&zonegeo__0__=Maine%2C+United+States&country__0__=USA&region__0__=MAI&subregion__0__=&place__1__=&zonegeo__1__=&country__1__=&region__1__=&subregion__1__=&place__2__=&zonegeo__2__=&country__2__=&region__2__=&subregion__2__=&place__3__=&zonegeo__3__=&country__3__=&region__3__=&subregion__3__=&place__4__=&zonegeo__4__=&country__4__=&region__4__=&subregion__4__=&type_periode=between&from=&to=&exact_month=&exact_day=&exact_year=&go=1

kiterunner
30-11-21, 08:51
don't know if it helps Geneanet has Minerva as born Dorchester ,Maine - a shipping Port - so Michael senior probably met Minerva in the Port and looks to be a Shipwright / Seaman ??
might even have been born there ?

https://en.geneanet.org/fonds/individus/?sexe=&nom=philbrick&ignore_each_patronyme=&prenom=minerva&prenom_operateur=and&ignore_each_prenom=&place__0__=&zonegeo__0__=Maine%2C+United+States&country__0__=USA&region__0__=MAI&subregion__0__=&place__1__=&zonegeo__1__=&country__1__=&region__1__=&subregion__1__=&place__2__=&zonegeo__2__=&country__2__=&region__2__=&subregion__2__=&place__3__=&zonegeo__3__=&country__3__=&region__3__=&subregion__3__=&place__4__=&zonegeo__4__=&country__4__=&region__4__=&subregion__4__=&type_periode=between&from=&to=&exact_month=&exact_day=&exact_year=&go=1

Allan, does it say on that site that the Michael who married Minerva was a shipwright or a seaman, or is that just your guess?

kiterunner
30-11-21, 08:55
Thank you for those replies Kiterunner & Elizabeth.

Yes, sorry, I should have put more detail.....

So, Michael J Morton married Ann Jane Robinson July 1889 in Birkenhead (England & Wales marriage index). More precisely, they were married at St. Laurence's RC church, Birkenhead on 13 August 1889. Michael Morton, age 28, living at 107 Park St, Birkenhead - father, Michael Morton, shipwright.
Ann Jane Robinson, age 21 living at 257 Brook St, Birkenhead - father Henry Robinson, labourer.
I don't have copy of the actual marriage certificate though - but, could obtain one.

1891 England Census - Michael Morton at 61 Watson St, Birkenhead age 32. Occupation - Ferry boat sailor. Born Portland, Maine, USA. Also, Anne J Morton (nee. Robinson), wife, age 22 - born Birkenhead. Francis H Morton, son, age 7 months - born Birkenhead.

1901 England Census - Michael Morton at 42 Queensbury St, Birkenhead, age 42. Occupation - Dock labourer. Born America. Ann J Morton, age 33, wife. Frank Morton, son, age 11. Winifred Morton, daughter, age 5. Robert Morton, son, age 1 - all born Birkenhead.

1911 England Census - Michael Morton at 289 Brook St, Birkenhead, age 50. Occupation - Dock labourer. Birthplace - Birkenhead. Ann Jane Morton, wife, age 43. Frank Morton, son, age 20. Florence Morton, daughter, age 15, domestic servant. Robert Morton, son, age 11. Julie Morton, daughter, age 6. Frances Morton, daughter, age 3. Catherine Morton, daughter, age 2.

July 1916 - Michael J Morton died aged 55, Birkenhead (England & Wales Death Index)

After reading your posts, I'm also not certain now whether the Michael Morton senior I mentioned at the top, is the correct one - could be ? But, in the burial records you've mentioned he's given as a farmer, whereas according to Michael John's marriage record his father is given as a shipwright. Also, no mention of a Michael John in the list of family members on those records, even though from the 1891 & 1901 England Censuses he's shown as born in 1859. Although, in the 1911 census his age is given as 50 and his death record in 1916 is shown as 55, which would make him born in 1861 - so a bit confusing.

Thanks for the info. The Michael Morton who married Minerva Philbrick and who died in 1862 is a farmer on the 1860 US census.

kiterunner
30-11-21, 09:14
The 1858 directory of Portland, Maine has a Solomon Morton, ship carpenter, at Congress near Grove Street:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/2469/images/14704368?ssrc=&backlabel=Return

Then in the 1866 directory there are Allen Morton, ship carpenter, Ferry Village, and Solomon Morton, ship carpenter, Burnham Street.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/2469/images/13357685?ssrc=&backlabel=Return

This is Solomon Morton and his family on the 1860 census but no baby with them:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/7667/images/4231247_00394?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Ctf25650&_phstart=successSource&pId=44077937

and on the 1870 US census, but again, no little Michael:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/7163/images/4269640_00642?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Ctf25652&_phstart=successSource&pId=32897659

Murphy
30-11-21, 14:06
Thanks for the links in the replies you've posted - but, I don't have subscriptions to Worldwide Ancestry or the other one, so can't see the info, or indeed any info from the US 1870 Census.

Although, it is interesting that those other Morton names mentioned are given as ship carpenter - which implies they could be the same family as Michael, a shipwright ? So, it could be that this is the Michael Morton and family I'm looking for.....maybe. Was Morton a common name in Maine around that time, I wonder ?

Some further information is that some records for Portland were destroyed in a fire in early 20th century - which might not help matters.

Btw, Michael J Morton's full name was Michael John Joseph Morton and he married Ann Jane Robinson (not Robison, which is a mis-transcription.) - she was my great-grandmother's sister.

kiterunner
30-11-21, 14:40
Although, it is interesting that those other Morton names mentioned are given as ship carpenter - which implies they could be the same family as Michael, a shipwright ? So, it could be that this is the Michael Morton and family I'm looking for.....maybe. Was Morton a common name in Maine around that time, I wonder ?

Sorry, I don't know which Michael Morton and family you mean? I didn't find any Michael who was a shipwright, only Solomon and Allen.

kiterunner
30-11-21, 14:48
The city directories don't have any more information than what I posted above the links. These are transcriptions of the two census entries:

1860 Portland, Maine
Solomon Morton 41 Ship Carpenter born Maine
Mary Morton 48 born Maine
Melvina Morton 17 born Maine

1870 Portland, Maine
Solomon Morton 57 House Carpenter born Maine
Mary Morton 63 Keeping House born Maine
Melville Morton 26 Labourer born Maine
-
Elizabeth Morton 42 Keeping House born Maine
Margaret A Morton 14 born Maine
Elizabeth Morton 7 born Maine
Joseph Porter 28 Labourer born England.

According to Ancestry, there were 18 Mortons in Portland on the 1870 census and 25 on the 1860 census. So not a very common surname there.

kiterunner
30-11-21, 15:04
There are lots of Portland records on FamilySearch which have been digitised but are restricted to viewing at FamilySearch Centres and affiliated libraries, for instance index to births 1712-1891, records of births 1782-1892, and many more. If you can get to a FamilySearch Centre you could have a look through and see if you can find a record of Michael John Joseph Morton's birth or any record of Michael Morton sr.

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Portland,_Cumberland_County,_Maine_Genealogy

Murphy
30-11-21, 16:10
Sorry, I don't know which Michael Morton and family you mean? I didn't find any Michael who was a shipwright, only Solomon and Allen.
I meant the Michael Morton I'm looking for, who is listed as a shipwright on his son's Michael J Morton marriage record. I know there is the Michael Morton, a farmer, in Maine mentioned in earlier posts - but, then garstonite suggests in his earlier post that he could be a shipwright/seaman. So, could he have changed occupations or is there a different Michael Morton somewhere ?

Thank you for the info from the two census entries and for the link to familysearch.org.

garstonite
30-11-21, 17:18
Allan, does it say on that site that the Michael who married Minerva was a shipwright or a seaman, or is that just your guess?

Just my guess Kate - Dorchester is a large seaport - not many farmers there in my eyes - but looking at your post - I am wrong ...lol ..my query was Michael John Morton at marriage - Michael Joseph Morton for death - was it 2 people ?? Morton is quite a common name here in Merseyside - but Murphy has posted he was baptised Michael John Joseph Morton - so there is the answer...

kiterunner
30-11-21, 17:23
Just my guess Kate - Dorchester is a large seaport - not many farmers there in my eyes - my query is Michael John Morton at marriage - Michael Joseph Morton for death - is it 2 people ?? Morton is quite a common name here in Merseyside ??:confused:

I think they have enough info to be sure it's the same person.

I'm just having a look at public trees with Solomon Morton in to see whether any include a Michael Morton, but no luck so far. Allen Morton seems to be Solomon's brother.

Murphy
30-11-21, 18:40
I've had a look at that familysearch.org link and the Index of Births for Portland 1712 - 1891, and have been able to search the index online. But, I can't find a birth record for Michael John Morton in 1861. In fact I can only find half a page for 1861 with about 4 records on - it then jumps to 1862,63 & 64 in quick succession but then loads for 1865, so wonder if some records are missing. The index online only seems to start in 1860 also, so I can't search before that. The index is a bit confusing too, initially starting alphabetically and then becoming random. But, as far as I can tell in the pages for 1860 there is no Morton under the 'M's, which is frustrating.....but could be me not searching correctly ! :confused:

kiterunner
30-11-21, 18:48
Oh, that's funny - I can view the images too! It said they were restricted viewing so I didn't try to access them before.

kiterunner
30-11-21, 22:12
In searching those various Portland and Maine databases, I found the birth of Mabel Morton, daughter of Michael Morton and Minerva Philbrook, 11 Jul 1861 at Troy, Waldo, Maine. The date of the 1860 US census was 1 Jun 1860. No Michael jr on that 1860 census record for Michael and Minerva. I suppose it's possible that Michael J was born after the census and then Mabel the following year, but I think it seems unlikely that he belongs to this family.

Murphy
01-12-21, 14:18
In searching those various Portland and Maine databases, I found the birth of Mabel Morton, daughter of Michael Morton and Minerva Philbrook, 11 Jul 1861 at Troy, Waldo, Maine. The date of the 1860 US census was 1 Jun 1860. No Michael jr on that 1860 census record for Michael and Minerva. I suppose it's possible that Michael J was born after the census and then Mabel the following year, but I think it seems unlikely that he belongs to this family.
Thank you for that kiterunner - interesting, another child born in 1861. I did attempt a search also in those records, but the script on the pages is very faint and difficult to read, so found nothing. But, going by the fact Michael J does not show on the 1860 US Census, it seems more likely he was born in 1861 which fits with the 1911 England census and his death record (although earlier censuses show him born in 1859).

So, if this Mabel Morton was born in July 1861, then as you say, it's doubtful Michael John belongs to this family. What a shame - but, thank you for your efforts and help.

Larry61
16-01-23, 06:22
I've also been looking for a link to Michael John Joseph Morton born Portland Maine 1863 problem is he was born a year after his father died. Also I have him as a passenger on the SS Bothnia from NY to Liverpool England arriving in 1891. Another problem he apparently married Anne Robinson in 1889 two yrs before he arrived?

kiterunner
16-01-23, 08:40
As for marrying before he arrived in the UK, he could have travelled back and forth a few times, couldn't he?