PDA

View Full Version : FamilySearch problems

Mary from Italy
20-11-21, 22:55
Has anyone used FamilySearch recently?

I'm having a lot of trouble getting on with the new search layout.

I'm currently trying to work out how to do an exact search (e.g. exact name or date), but I can't find it. Clicking on the question mark icon at the top of the page just gives an error message.

Merry
21-11-21, 06:54
I clicked the question mark (why haven't I tried that before since they mucked about with it?!) and amongst other things saw:

Suggested Topics

How do I find and search a specific collection in historical records?
How do I search historical records by place or by using the world map?
Best practices and search tips for historical records
A historical record has an incorrect title
Why are there access limitations on Historical Records?

None of which are really what you want, but maybe you can adapt to one of these? Expanding the first two of the above gives:

Specific collections, info for using the website (not the app) reads:

Steps:
Sign in to FamilySearch.org.
At the top of the page, click Search.
Click Records.
Scroll down to Find a Collection.
In the Collection Title field, enter the title or keywords (such as a place or record type). As you type, collection titles appear.
Click the title you want to search or browse.
Enter your search terms, and click Search.
Click the search result that interests you.
Click the < and > beside the record's name in the Record Information tab on the right to move to the next and previous entries in your search results.

For search by place/map (website):

If you know where your ancestor lived, you can search historical records by place or select the place from a world map. A general search can finds too many people from the wrong place. Or you are looking for a person with a common name.

After you choose the place, you can also choose whether to search all of the collections or search only certain ones.

The location-specific search also provides access to several resources for the place. Depending on what is available, you find the following on a place's page:

Learning courses
FamilySearch wiki pages that teach how to do research
Image-only historical records that have not yet been indexed
Items listed in the FamilySearch catalog
Steps (website)
Sign in to FamilySearch.org.
At the top of the page, click Search.
Under Search by Place, do one of the following:
In the field, enter the name of the place you are looking for.
To select a place from a map, click Browse Places. Click an area on the map, and then click the specific place from the right panel.
Enter your search terms.
Select the collections that you want to search:
To search all collections at once, leave all check boxes blank.
To filter your search, click the check box next to the name of each collection that you want to search. (Click Show all to see the complete list).
Click Search.

Phoenix
21-11-21, 08:32
I am so cross with myself that I missed a talk on this very subject. I managed, by mistake, to go into Family Search from the bottom and find the old search.

I gather, from a friend who did attend, that at some points you have to ignore the instructions and do something different.

Just hoping this is not permanent, but just a glitch.

Merry
21-11-21, 08:43
I dont know if this helps?

I googled the place I was looking for (Thundridge Herts) and went to the FS page detailing where records are held for that parish. I clicked on a link for FS baptisms for Thundridge (FS Collections Hertfordshire) and this page came up:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/location/united-kingdom-and-ireland/england?region=England,Hertfordshire&recordType=0

which looks a lot like the old search. I can't seem to delete the restrictions of parish and county though, so you would need to play with your google criteria!

Phoenix
21-11-21, 08:59
Ah, if you scroll down the opening page, you can browse by place, but it has clearly been designed for mobile phones, not computers. Worse, some of the images (that I would have thought would be available) can now only been seen at the centres.

Olde Crone
21-11-21, 09:31
I do miss the old style FS I knew my way blindfold round it. I have big problems with the current set up, maybe because I'm on a kindle. I keep meaning to have a go on the library computer, perhaps that is this week's task.

OC

maggie_4_7
21-11-21, 10:36
I don't like the new layout and search function at all.

Mary from Italy
21-11-21, 16:18
I do miss the old style FS I knew my way blindfold round it. I have big problems with the current set up, maybe because I'm on a kindle. I keep meaning to have a go on the library computer, perhaps that is this week's task.

It's my computer I'm having trouble on!

Mary from Italy
21-11-21, 16:49
I dont know if this helps?

I googled the place I was looking for (Thundridge Herts) and went to the FS page detailing where records are held for that parish. I clicked on a link for FS baptisms for Thundridge (FS Collections Hertfordshire) and this page came up:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/location/united-kingdom-and-ireland/england?region=England,Hertfordshire&recordType=0

which looks a lot like the old search. I can't seem to delete the restrictions of parish and county though, so you would need to play with your google criteria!

That's great, thanks very much!

I don't think you can delete the place names on that page, but you can change them in the URL, and it works fine.

For example, you could replace Hertfordshire with Devonshire, or in the case of Ireland, you'd need to replace "england?" with "ireland?".

Merry
21-11-21, 18:10
Oh that's a good idea, thanks!

Qwackers
21-11-21, 19:31
I have used family Search for a long time , but this new layout is the pits , it's hard to navigate through to what you really want . i started to put in a search box on google for ie a certain census etc and then family search , or you will be there ages . i don't know why they had to change the old format , as the new one is rubbish .

Mary from Italy
21-11-21, 21:31
It is dreadful. I sent them some very critical feedback a week or two ago, when the new interface appeared, but I don't suppose it'll make any difference.

garstonite
22-11-21, 06:20
don't use it anymore because it is **** - that's the best way to describe it .

Qwackers
23-11-21, 04:09
i will send feedback you never know they may eventually get our drift lol,

Jenoco
27-11-21, 02:26
I'm glad it's not just me. I can't get on with it at all and have avoided using the site.

On another note, I made the mistake of putting part of my tree on Family Search and have now had 'ancestors' added which I know are incorrect. There seems to be no way to change the entries nor can I see a way to delete my tree. Very annoying!

crawfie
27-11-21, 09:46
There is an "exact" button on the new style Search. Enter the details of person/place, and get the list of results. Click on More Options on top right which brings up Advanced Search. Scroll down till you get to the "Exact Search" button and click to enable.

You can also specify what type of record you are looking for. I tried this for baptisms in Thundridge and it brought up 11 pages.

Mary from Italy
27-11-21, 22:50
I hadn't found that, thanks! I've already used the Advanced Search, so it's odd that I didn't find it. Off to have a look.

Mary from Italy
27-11-21, 22:54
I've found it now, but there appears to be a new search page, which I hadn't seen before.

Starting from here:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/

If you then go to advanced search you get a much shorter list of options than the previous ridiculously long list, and the exact search button shows up immediately.

Thanks again :)

Mary from Italy
27-11-21, 22:59
One important thing that's still missing is the option to sort results by date (unless that's something else I've missed?).

FMP is streets ahead of the other sites for that reason alone.