PDA

View Full Version : How to find WW2 service number

FenTiger
14-11-21, 09:30
My father only spoke at the end of his life about his war service, he was the only survivor of 3 regiments, he was in the north African campaign, I would love to trace any information especially medals he was awarded but did not claim...but I am at a loss ...how do I find his Army service number ...any help appreciated...assuming I will need this vital piece of information!

kiterunner
14-11-21, 09:36
You don't need the service number to order his records:

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

I think there is a long delay in receiving the papers at the moment though.

FenTiger
14-11-21, 09:44
Thank you so much for the help, I am rusty about researching...much appreciated x

Merry
14-11-21, 09:46
His service record should be with the MoD.

Here's the info about making an application:

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

As you see, it can take a long time.

As for the service number, it is not a requirement to supply it, but clearly if the person had a common name it could be complex for the MoD to find the correct record.

Would your father have had information on any birth, marriage or death cert during his time in service? Some soldiers would give their service number as part of their occupational details.

FenTiger
14-11-21, 09:59
Oh good point he married his first wife in Athens whilst in Army...I have recently sent for that certificate for my Brother in Australia....will contact him to see if any information on there..thanks

Merry
14-11-21, 10:28
Oooh, promising!

Merry
14-11-21, 10:35
There are some WW2 bits and pieces online on Ancestry and FMP.

You said:

he was the only survivor of 3 regiments, he was in the north African campaign

If you can expand on that a bit I am happy to have a look and see if anything turns up. If you would like me to look, maybe send me a pm if you don't want to put his info on a public forum.

FenTiger
14-11-21, 10:36
Im not so rusty I did keep a copy of cert sent to Australia...rank or pression.Cfn R E M E 14250515 residence at marriage -Command GHQ 2nd Echelon Melf at GHQ 02E Melf. 342 Inf Tps Wks Reme...woo hoo I am assuming that 14250515 is his service Number?

Merry
14-11-21, 11:30
Oh, I didn't see this before I replied to your pm.

Will send some bits later.

Merry
14-11-21, 11:33
...and yes, that is his service number.

FenTiger
14-11-21, 12:05
Thanks your help is much appreciated x

JBee
14-11-21, 12:22
It cost me £30 each for my Uncle's Army WW2 service documents a few years back and it took quite a while for them to come.

There maybe more of a delay now as I don't think the Army Records Office in Glasgow is fully staffed with many probably still working from home.

FenTiger
14-11-21, 12:34
Thanks Julie x

annswabey
14-11-21, 21:28
Actually they appear to be giving priority to applications made in 2021 - presumably so that cheque payments (the only method of payment for Army service records) don't expire. I've received 4 in the last few weeks. As for 2020 applications, it's a longer wait, which is very unfair