PDA

View Full Version : I managed to fix my cousin's Thrulines!

kiterunner
30-09-21, 21:44
I have access to my cousin's DNA test but they have attached themself to their own tree. Unfortunately their tree is very small and Thrulines was not showing our grandmother and her ancestors, only Grandpa and his.

I made a searchable private tree called "Trying to fix Thrulines" with my cousin as the home person, added their parents and grandparents, using the slightly incorrect name they had in their tree for Grandpa, attached some records from hints, waited a couple of days, and lo and behold! At last Granny and her ancestors are showing in my cousin's Thrulines! I must emphasise that I did not attach my cousin's DNA test to this tree but Ancestry's software has put it all together.

Phoenix
01-10-21, 06:42
I am trying to prod Thrulines to recognise some common ancestors at the moment. I have muddied the waters by using Member Connect on a twiglet, so I won't now know which process will generate the connection.

The problem I face is that several relations are averse to any information being available online, so I never put up any details of parents or grandparents if they are too close in time, as Ancestry will reveal even private tree connections to third parties.

maggie_4_7
01-10-21, 06:53
Member connect?

Phoenix
01-10-21, 07:26
Member connect?

Pick an individual in your tree. On the menu bar beneath their name, member connect is on the extreme right. It offers you other people's trees, enabling you to say whether this is the same person as theirs.

maggie_4_7
01-10-21, 09:04
Pick an individual in your tree. On the menu bar beneath their name, member connect is on the extreme right. It offers you other people's trees, enabling you to say whether this is the same person as theirs.

Good grief I have never realised you could do that!

maggie_4_7
01-10-21, 12:11
Good grief I have never realised you could do that!

I had seen that but never used or looked at it.

What I find useful is the thru lines when you click on profile on the pedigree chart.

Phoenix
07-10-21, 07:51
6 days later, Ancestry still hasn't acknowledged the connection, though the cousin has added our common ancestors to her tree as well. It may be that Ancestry just isn't updating Thrulines as frequently as it used to. Does anyone know if there are problems?

maggie_4_7
07-10-21, 07:57
6 days later, Ancestry still hasn't acknowledged the connection, though the cousin has added our common ancestors to her tree as well. It may be that Ancestry just isn't updating Thrulines as frequently as it used to. Does anyone know if there are problems?

I was having trouble yesterday with the backend on Ancestry :D

Phoenix
07-10-21, 08:17
I was getting both "intermittent" messages and Cloudflare problems, but you can't tell which part of the site they refer to.

Margaret in Burton
07-10-21, 12:06

I have thru lines but neither of my daughters do. They used to have.

Phoenix
07-10-21, 14:32
Do you mean they don't have trees, or they won't link properly to trees? I've given up trying to make Thrulines work correctly for trees that I manage, but however wierdly they connect, common ancestors do show up.

Margaret in Burton
07-10-21, 15:28
Do you mean they don't have trees, or they won't link properly to trees? I've given up trying to make Thrulines work correctly for trees that I manage, but however wierdly they connect, common ancestors do show up.

They have trees, I’m the manager and they are linked to their DNA results. It shows the leaf for common ancestor but when I click on it it tells me it’s a private tree and to contact myself.

Kate has checked as she has access from when she helped me. When they did have them they were wrong anyway as they had the wrong Peter Henry Harrison as their great grandfather.

kiterunner
07-10-21, 15:33
Must be some kind of glitch.

Margaret in Burton
07-10-21, 15:36
Must be some kind of glitch.

The odd thing is, I also manage my son in laws and he still has thrulines

Phoenix
07-10-21, 15:37
They have trees, I’m the manager and they are linked to their DNA results. It shows the leaf for common ancestor but when I click on it it tells me it’s a private tree and to contact myself.

Kate has checked as she has access from when she helped me. When they did have them they were wrong anyway as they had the wrong Peter Henry Harrison as their great grandfather.

I take it that you mean that NOBODY has found the correct PHH, rather than there is a blood link to other relations?

Margaret in Burton
07-10-21, 17:11
I take it that you mean that NOBODY has found the correct PHH, rather than there is a blood link to other relations?

No. Still a mystery man

Phoenix
08-10-21, 09:42
Still no update to Thrulines, but as I have only had two new DNA matches across 3 people, I suspect it hasn't been updated, and these are just latecomers, filtering through (I can get new matches over one month old, suddenly appearing)

Margaret in Burton
08-10-21, 10:38
I logged into my daughters actual ancestry account earlier, they aren’t paid up members. Thru lines are there then but when I log into my account I look on their DNA results, that I manage, and it says to contact me as I’m the manager. I can see their matches though. So I have to contact myself?

But my son in laws results and thru lines are there for me to see.

Madness.

Phoenix
10-10-21, 10:29
Good old Ancestry. After much bullying, they have linked my new cousin's tree but... they are not describing it as a new match! How the devil am I supposed to spot it? I notice too that the headline number of matches do not agree with the underlying figures. Again, How?