PDA

View Full Version : Ethnicity updates

Phoenix
28-08-21, 08:30
Ancestry last updated their ethicity estimates in August 2020. Does anyone know when the next update is due?

Out of curiosity, I have downloaded the previous estimate, so I will have three estimates to compare.

Kit
29-08-21, 13:50
No idea. I wonder whether covid has affected the rate of testing?

If it has slowed down then I would think the updates will take a while to happen.

kiterunner
31-08-21, 08:31
A message at the top of the page on Ancestry today: Coming soon - AncestryDNA® results will be updated with even more precision this September.

Phoenix
31-08-21, 08:50
You beat me to it, Kite! As Kit says, Covid may well have slowed them down.

JBee
31-08-21, 10:11
Hope its more accurate than the last one.

OH has only one 2 x great grandfather not born in Scotland.

kiterunner
14-09-21, 18:07
Apparently the new results should be coming out on Friday 17th. And until then, we will not see any new DNA matches because they don't want to give new people one set of ethnicity results and then almost immediately replace them with another set.

Phoenix
14-09-21, 18:30
That makes sense. I did wonder why nothing had happened over the past few days.

kiterunner
16-09-21, 18:02
Oh, I should probably mention that the 17th September date is likely to mean when it is 17th Sep in the USA, so about 18th Sep in Australia and New Zealand!

Margaret in Burton
17-09-21, 12:48
My neighbour is expecting his results any day now. This is his second one. He said his email suggested the 15th September but that’s gone and nothing.
Fingers crossed it’s worked this time.

maggie_4_7
17-09-21, 14:32
Oh, I should probably mention that the 17th September date is likely to mean when it is 17th Sep in the USA, so about 18th Sep in Australia and New Zealand!

So perhaps tonight in the UK?

kiterunner
17-09-21, 14:44
Apparently not everybody will get their results updated at the exact same time.

maggie_4_7
17-09-21, 14:48
Apparently not everybody will get their results updated at the exact same time.

Ahh okay, thank you.

I have only seen this update mentioned on here and on a Facebook group.

kiterunner
17-09-21, 18:44
Mine hasn't changed much - Norway has gone up from 7 to 9% (I still don't know why it's there at all), Wales down from 5 to 3%, Ireland up from 4 to 5%, Scotland up from 1 to 2%, Germanic Europe was 2% and has gone now. My Dad's Germanic Europe percentage has gone up from 1 to 10%! So, still some tweaking to be done, I would say.

ElizabethHerts
17-09-21, 18:56
My father's side of the family is still represented far more than my mother's.
The DNA seems to be concentrated on Scotland and Yorkshire.
Very little representation of my southern roots at all, which accounts for well over 60 % of my ancestry. My father's paternal family came from Wiltshire.

Sue from Southend
17-09-21, 18:59
I have gained about 15% of Sweden/Denmark and lost a chunk of England/Northwestern Europe while my sister's are the reverse she is now 20% more England/N.W.Europe than me and has lost the 17% Sweden/Denmark that she had before!

My Jewish percentage stayed the same and from the same region whereas my sister lost 2% to make it the same as mine but hers is now broken down into two smaller ethnic communities - Central Europe and North Western Europe.

Still to be taken with a large pinch of salt!

maggie_4_7
17-09-21, 19:03
When was the last update?

Found it September 2020 was the last update.

maggie_4_7
17-09-21, 19:10
September 2020

Scotland 59%
• Scottish Central Lowlands
England & Northwestern Europe 20%
Ireland 19%
Wales 2%

September 2021

Scotland 65%
• Scottish Central Lowlands
England & Northwestern Europe 12%
Ireland 20%
Norway 3%

England etc down, Scotland up, lost Wales and gained Norway back.

Phoenix
17-09-21, 20:25
Best Mate's Scottish ancestry has gone from 36% to 6%. Which sounds about right, given there are no self evident Scots post 1837.

maggie_4_7
17-09-21, 20:46
Best Mate's Scottish ancestry has gone from 36% to 6%. Which sounds about right, given there are no self evident Scots post 1837.

I am beginning to think some of my elusive English ancestors were actually Scottish its creeping up, although I suppose its whoever's DNA is on their database. Lots of Scots went to NZ, Australia and Canada and a lot of my Scottish matches are in those 3 countries and people from these countries tend to test more I think.

ElizabethHerts
17-09-21, 20:47
I can't get onto DNA matches now and I'm getting this message:

"Our backend services are overtaxed at the moment and we are unable to retrieve all your matches. We apologize for the inconvenience, please try again later."

KiwiChris
17-09-21, 21:39
Mine has changed a bit. It was
Scotland 31%
Ireland 29%
England and Northwestern Europe 26%
Wales 7%
Norway 6%

and now
Scotland 43%
England and Northwestern Europe 27%
Ireland 24%
Wales 6%
and I have lost Norway, which I am a bit sad about as I like Norway!

On my research (and I know DNA is not inherited equally) I would say
Scotland 37.5 (assuming the Northern Irish were actually Scottish originally)
England 37.5
Ireland 25
I have yet to find a Welsh connection.

JBee
18-09-21, 11:37
Son's DNA Irish connection has just dropped by 1%

However OH's Irish connection changed from 22% to 18% - still think that's far too high but still.

Anstey Nomad
18-09-21, 14:58
Mine's not changed a lot, except that I am now 77% English, whereas Mr Nomad is now only 63%, which is really going to irritate him.

Result, I think

marquette
18-09-21, 22:07
With mine and Dad's, our Scottish component has dropped significiantly and he has gained a percentage of Scandanavian and Welsh.

Mum no longer has any Scandanavian but her Irish and Scottish is in proportion to the ancestors.

I have lost all my Scandanavian and Irish components.

Dad - Eng/NW Europe 63%, Swed/Denmark 20%, Scottish 8%, Wales 7%, Norway 2%
Mum - Eng/NW Europe 57%, Ireland 21%, Scotland 19%, Germanic Europe 3%

Me - English/NW Europe 72%, Scottish 16% and Wales 12%

Daughter 1 - Eng/NW Europe 59%, Scotland 29%, Norway 5%, Wales 4%, Ireland 3%
Daughter 2 - Eng/NW Europe 45%, Scotland 33%, Ireland 11%, Norway 8%, Wales 3%

Nell
19-09-21, 18:04
I lost my 3% Swedish aa while ago.

The difference now is that I am 72% English - and the areas, Cornwall, Norfolk, Gloucestershire, London are all in accordance with my research. But I now have 26% Scottish and have not yet discovered any Scots in my tree! The other 2% is Germanic.

Mary from Italy
20-09-21, 01:18
I can't get onto DNA matches now and I'm getting this message:

"Our backend services are overtaxed at the moment and we are unable to retrieve all your matches. We apologize for the inconvenience, please try again later."

I've been getting that message numerous times a day for weeks. If you click again immediately, it works, but it's very annoying.

marquette
20-09-21, 02:05
I've been getting that message numerous times a day for weeks. If you click again immediately, it works, but it's very annoying.
Yes, I get the same message lots of times - I just refresh the page and hope for the best. I figure its just too many people trying to do the same thing at once. I think they need more servers, maybe thats a future plan.

Mary from Italy
20-09-21, 21:10
It's worse than usual today, and I'm getting a new message:

Note: You may be experiencing some intermittent service with the Ancestry.co.uk website. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause and appreciate your patience as we work to resolve the problem as quickly as possible.

Nell
28-09-21, 16:59
According to the latest update I live in Leicestershire! I don't, I live in Hertfordshire and have no one in my tree that lives/had lived in Leicestershire. What's that all about?

kiterunner
28-09-21, 17:21
What does it say on your Ancestry profile, Nell?