PDA

View Full Version : 1841 please

Olde Crone
24-01-10, 14:52
If someone would be so kind...I don't have an Ancestry sub at the mo (but am considering a month's worth as I suddenly seem to need it urgently again!)

I am looking to find in 1841

Sampson Goldstraw, born about 1824 in Staffordshire (Cheddleton possibly) with a father called Reuben who is a mason.

I would like Sampson to have a mother called Elizabeth and a sister called Ellen if at all possible, lol.

Sampson Goldstraw married Rachel Wood in 1846. Ellen Goldstraw married Isaac Wood in 1847 and I am trying to see if these two couples are related in any way.

Thankyou in advance.

OC

Sabrina
24-01-10, 15:04
OC - Will this one do?:

Sampson Goldstraw living in Cheddleton, Staffs, aged 17, Tailor Ap, living with William Bettang, 20, Tailor I, and Thomas Rushton, 16, Tailor Ap. All born in Staffs.

Sabrina
24-01-10, 15:09
There is also another Sampson Goldstraw [transcribed as Goldstrom), aged 18, living in Cheddleton, born Staffs, he is a MS living with a Ephraim Wilshaw who is a Farmer.
Ref: HO107; Piece 1003; Book: 16; Civil Parish: Cheddleton; County: Staffordshire; Enumeration District: 12; Folio: 7; Page: 8; Line: 5

Sabrina
24-01-10, 15:16
The Sampson who is a Tailor is living next to a Benjamin Wood, Publican, who has an Isaac Wood, aged 17, Gardener living with him.

Olde Crone
24-01-10, 15:21
Thankyou Sabrina!

Oh dear, I was going to say that Sampson the MS was more likely but my Isaac Wood wa first a gardener then a farmer!

Who would have thought there would be TWO Sampson Goldstraws!!! (Me, I would!)

Ah, just noticed, MY Sampson is described as a labourer at his marriage in 1846, so definitely not the tailor's app. I absolutely bet the two Sampsons are related though. Grrr.

Thanks again.

OC

Sabrina
24-01-10, 15:24
There are actually quite a lot of Goldstraws in Cheddleton parish, but I can't see a Reuben at the moment, unfortunately. :(

Olde Crone
24-01-10, 15:31
LOL! The IGI has at least four Sampson Goldstraws born within 5 years of each other and all with different parents.

Looks as if they went in for Moonie-style weddings too, as there are three of them marrying on the same page in 1846!

And I thought this would be so simple with such unusual names......

Thanks anyway Sabrina. I will shelve this now until I get a month's sub and try to untangle them all.

OC

Sabrina
24-01-10, 15:38
You're welcome - looks like they liked biblical names too! Good luck with sorting them!