PDA

View Full Version : Scottish BMD indexes - findmypast

kiterunner
20-05-21, 19:08
Scottish Modern and Civil Births 1855-2019 (https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/scotland-modern-and-civil-births-1855-2019) - 2,579,212 records

Scottish Modern and Civil Marriages 1855-2019 (https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/scotland-modern-and-civil-marriages-1855-2019) - 1,066,987 records

Scottish Modern and Civil Deaths and Burials 1855-2021 (https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/scotland-modern-and-civil-deaths-and-burials-1855-2021) - 3,327,486 records.

It's not quite clear exactly where they have got these records from. For instance, "Findmypast Fridays" says about the births that "The record set includes records from local government burial indexes held by various councils and archives, volunteer and local family history society transcriptions, modern records of funeral homes and civil registers." which surely can't be right? Anyway, I'm not sure how comprehensive it is, but worth looking if you can't find someone on Scotland's People I guess.

kiterunner
20-05-21, 19:14
If anyone with an FMP sub has a look at these, I would be interested to know how much information it shows you for a typical entry - more than a free search on SP shows?

Olde Crone
20-05-21, 20:07
I am surprised too. Scotland's People, the official website, has always guarded their data very carefully.

There are a number of unofficial sources I use, one is for burial records and monumental inscriptions, another is gleaned from newspaper announcements but I doubt if they would account for anything like the numbers FMP is quoting there.

OC

Mary from Italy
20-05-21, 20:58
I just tried a name at random for a birth in 1856, and it gave her birthplace and both parents' full names. No image.

Mary from Italy
20-05-21, 21:05
I had a quick look at marriages and deaths, but they don't seem to give parents' names. I didn't do much searching because I started getting error messages.

Olde Crone
20-05-21, 21:08
Hm, just had a thought that these might be records from Familysearch? If so, they will be transcriptions.

OC

kiterunner
20-05-21, 22:23
They are definitely transcriptions, but I don't think they are from FamilySearch or it would say so.

maggie_4_7
21-05-21, 06:32
If anyone with an FMP sub has a look at these, I would be interested to know how much information it shows you for a typical entry - more than a free search on SP shows?

It shows mother's name including maiden name, father's name, place of birth ie Douglas, Lanark, Scotland so not address/abode which is on the image and just the year of birth not date and month.

What is good is it shows maiden name of mother, so enough for anyone that doesn't want to or can't afford pay on SP, SP works out expensive, but has an FMP subscription especially if they aren't main ancestors.

They are definitely transcriptions, but I don't think they are from FamilySearch or it would say so.

On the bottom of the transcription it has copyright for Family Search.

Index (c) IRI. Used by permission of FamilySearch Intl

Katarzyna
21-05-21, 07:14
I searched for my Gt Grandmother's death for 1883 Brechin, Angus but it isn't there. I looked to see when the records for Angus start and there are none before 1928. When I try to open I get 500 error Whoops! Something went wrong on our end.

Ironically, 1928 was the year Forfarshire became Angus but the search does not recognise Angus as a county - you need to put Forfarshire (Angus):confused:

maggie_4_7
21-05-21, 07:44
I searched for my Gt Grandmother's death for 1883 Brechin, Angus but it isn't there. I looked to see when the records for Angus start and there are none before 1928. When I try to open I get 500 error Whoops! Something went wrong on our end.

Ironically, 1928 was the year Forfarshire became Angus but the search does not recognise Angus as a county - you need to put Forfarshire (Angus):confused:

Thats why I find SP frustrating sometimes ie Wigtownshire doesn't really exist now its now Dumfrieshire council area but SP still indexes the old parishes as Wigtownshire/Wigtown. I have to check on a map a lot when searching SP for some context.

Katarzyna
21-05-21, 08:04
Thats why I find SP frustrating sometimes ie Wigtownshire doesn't really exist now its now Dumfrieshire council area but SP still indexes the old parishes as Wigtownshire/Wigtown. I have to check on a map a lot when searching SP for some context.

Just making it clear. The search I made was on FMP not SP in order to answer Kite's question re the sources. As I could not open it because of the error 500, and still can't, I don't yet know the source or the info transcribed. I do have my Grandmother's death registration image from SP under Angus :)

maggie_4_7
21-05-21, 08:21
Just making it clear. The search I made was on FMP not SP in order to answer Kite's question re the sources. As I could not open it because of the error 500, and still can't, I don't yet know the source or the info transcribed. I do have my Grandmother's death registration image from SP under Angus :)

I was commenting on SP using the old parish areas for searching because that's what will be on the images.

I posted above where the birth and marriage transcriptions are from its Family Search International.

The death transcriptions seem to be from individual counties, I looked at one from Lanarksire and it says "Lanarkshire Family History Society"

kiterunner
21-05-21, 09:07
Thanks, Maggie. I think they messed up the information in Findmypast Fridays about the sources.

JBee
21-05-21, 09:31
I've just looked for what I think is OH's cousin's death in Edinburgh in 2018 but it didn't come up.

maggie_4_7
21-05-21, 10:03
Thanks, Maggie. I think they messed up the information in Findmypast Fridays about the sources.

Maybe they are all from Family Search but depends where Family Search acquired them from and who transcribed them. I have never paid much attention to the copyright messages on Family Search to be honest.

maggie_4_7
21-05-21, 10:08
I've just looked for what I think is OH's cousin's death in Edinburgh in 2018 but it didn't come up.

I just had a bit of a problem with a John McMillan marriage I got it in search results in FMP. I have never seen this one so I searched on SP and nothing came up in a search for John McMillan but if I searched on the female name it came up!

kiterunner
21-05-21, 10:11
In "about this collection" on FMP, they say:

This growing set of millions of records has been compiled from a number of sources, including local government burial indexes held by various councils and archives, volunteer & local family history society transcriptions, modern records of funeral homes and civil registers. These records will be updated regularly over the coming months from a variety of different sources, if you cannot find the person you are looking for, return again as the collection grows.

Not very specific!

maggie_4_7
21-05-21, 10:16
In "about this collection" on FMP, they say:

This growing set of millions of records has been compiled from a number of sources, including local government burial indexes held by various councils and archives, volunteer & local family history society transcriptions, modern records of funeral homes and civil registers. These records will be updated regularly over the coming months from a variety of different sources, if you cannot find the person you are looking for, return again as the collection grows.

Not very specific!

Well that covers everything, I just looked at a death for Ayrshire it is from the Ayrshire Archives but has © Findmypast.

JBee
21-05-21, 11:53
I saw the death entry on Scotlandspeople for 2018 but it didn't come up on fmp so unless I want to stump up about £14 it can wait until I get up to Edinburgh

maggie_4_7
21-05-21, 12:59
I saw the death entry on Scotlandspeople for 2018 but it didn't come up on fmp so unless I want to stump up about £14 it can wait until I get up to Edinburgh

What were you looking for and do you have FMP subscription?

maggie_4_7
21-05-21, 13:40
Is hasn't got all the death records in Ayrshire thats for sure. I have searched for deaths that I have the images for from SP and they are not there.

JBee
21-05-21, 13:46
Thanks Maggie

I do have subs for fmp and ancestry but it’s on Scotlandspeople indexes but not fmp.

maggie_4_7
21-05-21, 14:18
Tell me what you are looking for and I will have a look but as I said above I think some counties are definitely missing for deaths, I can't find Ayrshire ones.