PDA

View Full Version : Theatricals

vita
26-04-21, 16:01
Looking for info on this brother & sister,the grandchildren of my 4/g/uncle Robert Headland:- Robert George Headland Clare, musician, b 1880, St. Pancras, & Nelly Maud Clare 'stage artist' b 1883 St Giles.
I have family details, but am trying to find any record of their theatre work.
Could anyone please suggest the best place to look?

Merry
26-04-21, 16:03
The Era (theatrical trade paper) is available through FMP. Do you know if they had stage names?

vita
26-04-21, 18:34
The Era (theatrical trade paper) is available through FMP. Do you know if they had stage names?

I don't,Merry but am hoping they didn't. Thanks for Era info.I don't have access at the moment,but I hnow someone who has.

vita
13-05-21, 10:40
No luck with The Era,I'm afraid. Looks like Robert gave up on the theatre - in 1911 he's

a 31 yr old carman, but Nellie is still strutting her stuff & working as a dancer.

Can anyone come up with suggestions as to where I might go from here? I've got all her

census details up to 1931 d, but no record of her career or if she used a stage name.

maggie_4_7
13-05-21, 12:04
There is mention of a Miss Nelly Clare in:

The Stage appearing in Whitehaven at the Royal looks like she was working as an actress in a farce called Round the Clock.

18 January 1900 - The Stage - London, London, England

The Era at Theatre Royal, Belfast with Round the Clock playing Mrs Gadforth

17 February 1900 - The Era - London, London, England

There's a few actually for The Stage but not only that publication quite few others, could this be her?

Edit to say: looks like she was at the Devonport Hippodrome in 1925 that is of course if this is the right Nellie, 16 December 1925 - The Era - London, London, England

vita
13-05-21, 14:20
Thanks for that, Maggie. I don't have any subs at the moment but friend who has said The

Era had limited info & nothing about Nelly. I may indeed be her, so at least I have

something to go on