PDA

View Full Version : Help with word in Will

ElizabethHerts
23-01-10, 10:43
I'm really happy this morning! I received two wills in the post from Lincolnshire Archives - one 1758 and the other 1712.

They are both written beautifully but there is one word in the first one which I can't make out.

"I Give to the Poor of Branston and Heighington one ? Each".

I have now worked out that the word is probably meant to be "Guinea"!!
It looks like "Guincah" but I think it is probably "Guineah"!!

I just couldn't think what it was to start with! The spelling IS slightly alternative in this will. :d

Merry
23-01-10, 11:04
I was just thinking how generous that would have been, but then realised it's one guinea to the poor of Branston (ie between them) and another guinea to the poor of Heightinton, totalling two guineas! Still would have bought quite a lot though.....

ElizabethHerts
23-01-10, 11:16
Merry, he also gave

"... to the Poor of Potter Hanworth Ten Shillings a Year for Ten Years."

I have just one problem on the second will.

Throughout it says "Item" for each new bequest. However, right at the start there is:
"Imp? (then a superscript) I do give unto Edward Morriss ..."

OH and I have been scratching our heads about this word, to no avail.

kiterunner
23-01-10, 11:22
Can you scan that bit in and post it up?

ElizabethHerts
23-01-10, 11:25
Kiterunner - I'll see what I can do after lunch - if I can suss out my new printer/scanner!

Do I have to use Photobucket to get it on here?

kiterunner
23-01-10, 11:31
If it's just a word then you should be able to post it as an attachment to your post ("go advanced" rather than quick reply, then click on the paperclip)

ElizabethHerts
23-01-10, 11:50
If it's just a word then you should be able to post it as an attachment to your post ("go advanced" rather than quick reply, then click on the paperclip)

Ooher, I think I shall be asking for more help when I come to do that!:o

Phoenix
23-01-10, 12:09
Imp would be Imprimis - firstly.

ElizabethHerts
23-01-10, 12:26
Imp would be Imprimis - firstly.

Thank you, Phoenix! I thought that a will expert might know it! It is definitely "Imp" and then the superscript has a squiggle and then "is" so it's spot on.

You have saved me from a technical nightmare. :)