PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry v 23&me

HarrysMum
06-04-21, 06:27
I have done my Ancestry DNA and my Immunologist is using it for some medical issues I have.
I thought I read somewhere 23&me tests more genes.

I’m not asking about medical issues, purely if 23& me tests more genes than Ancestry. If anyone knows??

Janet
06-04-21, 16:50
Libby, there's an article here from December 2019 in PCWorld saying that "AncestryDNA only tests your autosomal DNA, while 23andMe tests your autosomal DNA, your mtDNA, and your yDNA (if you’re male)."

UPDATED - 23andMe vs. AncestryDNA: Which ancestry DNA kit is better? (https://www.pcworld.com/article/3322523/23andme-vs-ancestry-dna.html)

HarrysMum
06-04-21, 21:38
Thank you.

Kit
11-04-21, 04:25
if your immunologist wants you to test for something specific they should order the test themselves. I had genetic testing years ago as the Dr wanted to check something.

HarrysMum
11-04-21, 22:22
if your immunologist wants you to test for something specific they should order the test themselves. I had genetic testing years ago as the Dr wanted to check something.

Yes, I’ve had specific genetic tests, but if you put your family history DNA through Livewello, you get masses of interesting info. He found I need extra of one drug and my cancer drug was never going to work.
He also found several genes showing why my connective tissue is useless. That was interesting as they haven’t found the direct gene test for that yet.