PDA

View Full Version : Have I found my Waye?

KiwiChris
23-01-10, 02:45
On December 28th 1933 The Rev Frederick Leslie Irwin married Ada Rosalie Waye in Dunedin New Zealand. My main interest is in the Rev Fred, but I can't find his birth or death, and that is another story.....

However, Ada Rosalie does not appear to have been born in New Zealand, There is a Rosalie Ada Waye b 1907 Greenwich, that fits with the right sort of age to have married Frederick, Fred claims to have been b 1906.

In 1911 Ada Waye b c1907 Grenwich Kent is with Edward Douglas and Rosalie Torode Moxon in Romford Essex, Ada is described as Wife's Niece.

Edward Douglas Moxon married Rosalie Torode Ozanne. Rosalie Ozanne had a sister called Elsie Maud Ozanne who married Henry Waye.

In 1911 Henry and Elsie Waye are in Greenwich with a number of children with ages in order, but after the 2 year old there is listed Roselie Waye, adopted daughter age 4, born Greenwich.

I have found the deaths of Edward Douglas and Rosalie Moxon in New Zealand with ages that would match the 1911 census.

Do you think that Ada and Roselie on the 1911 census are the same person, and by "adopted", they might have meant adopted out, rather than adopted in?

I can track Ada Rosalie Irwin here in NZ until 1960, then by 1966 she has gone, but there is no death registration with that name.

Frederick Irwin I have until 1984/1985 and he has gone by 1986/87, but no death registration for him either. :(

They did spend time in Australia in the 1930s but I have no idea why they should both go back there to die! But I don't know where else they might have gone!

kiterunner
23-01-10, 10:19
It seems likely that Ada and Roselie are the same person, but I haven't come across "adopted" on the census meaning adopted out before. But I know some people thought they had to list all their children on the 1911 census, whether they were alive or date, at home or away, so it could be, I suppose. If Henry and Elsie Waye adopted her, her birth wouldn't be registered in the name Waye (unless one of her biological parents was a Waye, of course). Bit confusing! Is it possible for you to look at Frederick and Ada's marriage certificate to see who she says her father was, or would you have to pay lots of money for that?

KiwiChris
23-01-10, 18:02
The marriage cert would be helpful, but with the clergy research we have a rule of spending no money (sort of, the 1911 is used by me only for the clergy :o)

Everything seems to fit with the Moxons bringing their Waye niece to NZ with them. The rest will have to remain a mystery with Henry and Elsie Waye probably being her biological parents.

melodi2
14-06-16, 18:01
On December 28th 1933 The Rev Frederick Leslie Irwin married Ada Rosalie Waye in Dunedin New Zealand. My main interest is in the Rev Fred, but I can't find his birth or death, and that is another story.....

However, Ada Rosalie does not appear to have been born in New Zealand, There is a Rosalie Ada Waye b 1907 Greenwich, that fits with the right sort of age to have married Frederick, Fred claims to have been b 1906.

In 1911 Ada Waye b c1907 Grenwich Kent is with Edward Douglas and Rosalie Torode Moxon in Romford Essex, Ada is described as Wife's Niece.

Edward Douglas Moxon married Rosalie Torode Ozanne. Rosalie Ozanne had a sister called Elsie Maud Ozanne who married Henry Waye.

In 1911 Henry and Elsie Waye are in Greenwich with a number of children with ages in order, but after the 2 year old there is listed Roselie Waye, adopted daughter age 4, born Greenwich.

I have found the deaths of Edward Douglas and Rosalie Moxon in New Zealand with ages that would match the 1911 census.

Do you think that Ada and Roselie on the 1911 census are the same person, and by "adopted", they might have meant adopted out, rather than adopted in?

I can track Ada Rosalie Irwin here in NZ until 1960, then by 1966 she has gone, but there is no death registration with that name.

Frederick Irwin I have until 1984/1985 and he has gone by 1986/87, but no death registration for him either. :(

They did spend time in Australia in the 1930s but I have no idea why they should both go back there to die! But I don't know where else they might have gone!

Hi, you probably have found your answers long since as this post is several years old. But you are talking about my grandparents. Ada and Rosalie are the same person. Yes her aunt and uncle Moxon brought her out to NZ with them. They lost a child, and it seems that Ada was given to them to bring up.

Fred, after he was ordained, had parishes in NZ, but went to Rockhampton and served there where my father was born. They returned to NZ, and their daughter Ruth died of leukemia tragically at age 13. This affected Ada very much, and parishes Fred was at afterwards were, I think, lower maintenance? They separated for many years. Visited me together sometime in the 80s, when they were getting back together, or intending to.

They retired to Australia where my father lives (he was born there and went there permanently in the 60s), and both of them died there. They have plaques at St Mary's Anglican Church in Brisbane, where my father has been involved in the church for many years.

I have put some info on findagrave in relation to some of the family (and ancestry). Fred & Ada's record is maintained by someone else at the present, but I have submitted some corrections. Fred Irwin was actually born Fred Plew, and his father is not listed on his birth cert (which I have). I do know that his father was married to someone else at the time Fred was born (found in Papers Past and Archways). After the divorce came through Samuel married Barbara Plew and Fred was always known thereafter as Fred Irwin, and I don't think he ever considered himself illegitimate. Samuel Irwin was born in NSW and his first wife was Ada Wall.

My father has met a number of his Waye cousins on visits to the UK (his mother's family). One being involved in the movie industry.

Fred died in 1994 and Ada in 2001.

HarrysMum
15-06-16, 20:11
Welcome Melodi. I'm sure Chris will be thankful for your reply.

I'm in Brisbane myself.

Merry
15-06-16, 21:04
Chris is on holiday at the moment, so there might be a delay before she replies, but I know she will!

KiwiChris
16-06-16, 06:42
Here I am! In Sweden and not New Zealand at the moment! Thanks so much for the information. I don't have the entire updated database on my laptop, but I think he is part of the Australian directory, being a bit young to make the cut off date for the New Zealand one. There is some new information here, thank you so much Melodi. I think we did find his date of death, but not his birth and your information explains why that is! I will be home again in a couple of weeks and will be in contact once I have the information to hand.