PDA

View Full Version : Hermann Josephy

Sally
22-01-10, 18:16
*Sigh's despondently....this is yet another one that I won't have any replies for!!! Still, it IS a very difficult task and requires someone fluent in German, as well as possessing worldwide Ancestry.

Name: Hermann Josephy
Born 1807 in Godlberg, Germany
Married to Henriette Hirsch born 1810 in Ludwiglest, Germany
Parents: Chaim Heiman Josephy and Vogelchen Hirsch.

kiterunner
22-01-10, 18:17
I have been looking them up on ancestry, Sally, just not found anything recently! Ancestry doesn't seem to cover very much of Germany yet.

Sally
22-01-10, 18:45
Thank you so much Kite........even though you haven't found anything it is good to know that I am not talking to myself!

ElizabethHerts
22-01-10, 19:27
I love the mum's name - it means "little bird"!

Sally
22-01-10, 20:47
Hi Elizabeth, yes it does and I think that it adds a lovely touch - a much needed smile in fact because you can imagine what happened to much of this Jewish family

ElizabethHerts
22-01-10, 20:49
Hi Elizabeth, yes it does and I think that it adds a lovely touch - a much needed smile in fact because you can imagine what happened to much of this Jewish family

Oh, how very sad. :(

Furthermore, "Hirsch" means stag or deer.

Sally
22-01-10, 20:58
Thank you so much for that Elizabeth, I didn't know - So you see, through you I have at least made a discovery on this thread

kiterunner
22-01-10, 22:30
I found a Hermann Josephy born 1802 Goldberg on the Mecklenburg-Schwerin 1819 census on ancestry, with Moritz born 1792, Rieke born 1819, Sophie nee Hirsch born 1797 and can't quite make the other name out, born 1788. Is it your family or a different one, do you know?

I'm not sure how to do those links directly to ancestry images, so I don't know if this will work but if it does, it's the bottom of this page and the top of the next one:
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=1167&path=Stadt+Parchim.Parchim.40&sid=&gskw=Hermann+Josephy&cr=1

Sally
23-01-10, 18:27
Hi Kite, and sadly Ancestry have a cunning plan to stop links such as that working!!! It merely takes me to the page telling me to update my membership. Hey ho, it was worth a try.

I have checked through all my dealings via email with a distant relation in Germany, and none of those names figure in his writings. The fact that the date of birth was a few years out didn't worry me unduly, but the rest of it doesn't fit so far.

This doesn't mean that he is not the right man. The Sophie nee Hirsch is encouraging up to a point, except that Hirsch is rather like Smith or Jones, and the name crops up frequently in my past

Joan of Archives
23-01-10, 18:41
Sally I can access the image ;)

Will be communicating with you shortly, I can translate a little for you if you like although my German is very rusty :d

Sally
23-01-10, 19:15
Thank you so much for that image Joanie - I am going to get in touch with my contact in Mecklenburg to ask about it, and to see if it can be verified as being my family

Joan of Archives
23-01-10, 19:34
Sally from what I can understand from my very basic German (sorry it is so rusty) the names may be

Herzig (?) Josephy male born Goldberg 1788 Resident 3 years married

Sophie Josephy (I am assuming her maiden name follows) ? Hirsch born 1797 Malahin ? Resident 3 years married

Ricke Josephy female born 1819 Parlium ? resident from birth single (their son?)

Moritz Josephy male born 1792 Goldberg Resident 3 years single

Hermann Josephy male born 1802 born Goldberg resident 3 years single

:)

Sally
23-01-10, 19:55
Joanie, I am so very grateful for your time and trouble over this.

The thing is, none of this matches my immediate family in any shape or form. I do feel that they may be closely related, as they are in the same area of Germany but the names and dates are all wrong.

What a shame - but I will keep your images on file, and see if I can tie them up somewhere. thank you so much again

Joan of Archives
23-01-10, 19:57
Ooo I just realised Sophie was born Hirsch which would tie in nicely with Vogelchen's maiden name and they were from the same town, Malchin. They must be related to each other? :rolleyes:

Sally
23-01-10, 20:44
I was wondering if the head of the household was possibly Chaim Heiman's brother, but I don't know.

Certainly there seems to be some connection going on here

Sally
23-01-10, 22:40
A big thank you to Joanie, who has been working hard tonight behind the scenes, trying to help with this one.

Joan of Archives
23-01-10, 23:25
A big thank you to Joanie, who has been working hard tonight behind the scenes, trying to help with this one.

You're very welcome Sally anytime just wish my German was a little less rusty lol! :d
xx