PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Wilner Burial 1785

JohnS
25-02-21, 14:07
I wonder if anyone can help with a transcription of a burial register for Sarah Wilner (Wilnor).
What is the date alongside the entry 26th? 28th?
It has been transcribed on FMP as 17th but that is the entry above.

A long shot but it would be interesting if anyone could work out the bit that has been erased below.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS%2FSTAFF%2FLICHFIELD-ST-CHAD-BAPTISMS-MARRIA-D29-1-2-1779-1812%2F00018&parentid=GBPRS%2FSTAFF%2FBUR2%2F107127

ElizabethHerts
25-02-21, 14:25
I think it is the 28th.

The entry beneath it has been erased and it says "a/the? child of John ..".
I can't make out the rest. I don't think it has anything to do with Sarah Wilnor's entry.

Phoenix
25-02-21, 14:45
It looks as if it relates to the entry on the next line.

JohnS
25-02-21, 15:31
I think it is the 28th.

The entry beneath it has been erased and it says "a/the? child of John ..".
I can't make out the rest. I don't think it has anything to do with Sarah Wilnor's entry.

I thought I recognised John. If the word after that was either Wilner or Raworth it would have been significant in my research (Margaret in Burton would know what I mean).
I have tried opening the document in Paint.net and adjusting the image but still not clear enough.

Janet
27-02-21, 06:22
It looks to me as if the first line after 'September' was initially written above September, before they realized they were in the wrong month:

Buried Sarah Dr. of John Lester

Phoenix
27-02-21, 07:50
Totally agree, Janet.

I have often pictured the vicars sitting down at about this time of year, collecting all the slips of paper they have gathered over the past months, and writing them out in their best copper plate.

I have just created a new hardcopy address book, written out very carefully. You have no idea how many entries I have added under the wrong letter, and have then had to cross out, and write in the correct place.

Janet
27-02-21, 22:06
I'll put it down to years of professional typesetting, Phoenix, where one learns to read the intent of the writer as much as, if not more than, the literal words on paper.

Too bad future generations won't have the benefit of seeing our mistakes and reading into them when digitization wipes out all traces of self-correction.

Except for hard cases like yourself, of course. Whoever inherits your hardcopy address book will have a gem in hand. :)