PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Day Christenings

Phoenix
31-10-20, 21:10
I'm filling in my off-line tree, so having to type the information in. I have just found three members of the same family being christened on Boxing Day.

Does this mean they had celebrated being able to pay the rent on Lady Day? :D

Or was Boxing Day popular for other reasons?

Mary from Italy
31-10-20, 21:31
Quite a few of mine were married on Christmas day. Maybe it was cheaper?

Phoenix
31-10-20, 21:57
I did wonder along those lines. It may, of course, be pure coincidence.

Olde Crone
31-10-20, 22:07
Was dad a servant? Boxing Day was traditionally a holiday for servants so perhaps it was the only day they could all get to church.

OC

Merry
01-11-20, 09:23
I'm filling in my off-line tree, so having to type the information in. I have just found three members of the same family being christened on Boxing Day.

Does this mean they had celebrated being able to pay the rent on Lady Day? :D

lol It took me a couple of seconds to get that! My birthday is Michaelmas :rolleyes::d:d:d

ElizabethHerts
01-11-20, 09:30
lol It took me a couple of seconds to get that! My birthday is Michaelmas :rolleyes::d:d:d

My daughter shares your birthday, Merry.

My uncle (by marriage) was also born on Michaelmas day. His father was a Canon in the C of E and gave his son the name of Michael.

Merry
01-11-20, 10:25
My mother told me she got drunk at a Christmas party (probably one sherry as she is teetotal normally)! My birthday date seems quite popular - it was when I was at school too!

Nell
01-11-20, 12:11
I've a few weddings/christenings on Christmas Day or Boxing Day. I'm assuming it's the one holiday in the year when the family could all get together - and maybe not having to stump up for separate celebratory food either, you could combine them.

Phoenix
01-11-20, 16:46
I wish I knew what marriages ceremonies and baptisms were like in the past. In Our Mutual Friend, the couple head off to church together and a pew-opener is one of the witnesses. I imagine that much of the mummery that surrounds modern ceremonies was completely absent in the past. Can't imagine my lot being able to afford special clothes or food.

Merry
01-11-20, 16:58
I agree Phoenix.

I know it's not the same era, but an in-law's mother married just before WW2 and told me she and her OH-to-be had the banns read and on the day got dressed in their normal Sunday best, asked his neighbours if they would come along to be witnesses, all went along to the church and they were married. The following day they carried on with work as normal. She said where they lived (somewhere in Derbyshire - Clay Cross?) there was nothing unusual about this. She didn't know anyone who went on a honeymoon - that was for rich people. Though she did say most brides did have a wedding dress, it wasn't considered strange to not have one. Also no flowers, no reception, no car, don't know about the bells!

Phoenix
01-11-20, 17:35
My parents had a honeymoon, and I was conceived on it. But as Eastbourne in March didn't really appeal, they did the house up and waited till the weather was warmer

ElizabethHerts
01-11-20, 17:40
I know my grandparents went on honeymoon, but only as far as Midhurst from Guildford! It was in 1915 though, so not much scope during WW1.

My parents married in WW2 and they went away for a couple of weeks to Gloucerstershire, I think, then my father was posted to India.

Nell
04-11-20, 21:23
I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that many ceremonies took place in the church porch. There would be a simple exchange of vows and a ring. No choirs or organ-playing or special readings etc.

My own wedding was quite simple, in a register office with our parents and brothers & a girlfriend of one of the brothers. We walked to the office from our house, then to a restaurant for lunch. After tea and cake at ours, everyone left except my Mum. We drove her home, stayed overnight at her house and then went off to Gatwick to fly to our honeymoon, booked as a holiday before we decided to get married.

crawfie
05-11-20, 09:54
Quite a few of mine were married on Christmas day. Maybe it was cheaper?

When I was first starting out I was told by an experienced researcher that marrying on Christmas Day was free (my ancestors married in 1817). I don't know when that changed.