PDA

View Full Version : My ethnicity estimate update is in

Phoenix
11-09-20, 12:25
I lost my French ethnicity after the previous update. Now I've lost my Norweigan ethnicity. But I've gained a huge chunk of Scottish. Where tf did that come from? The milkman?

kiterunner
11-09-20, 13:05
I was wondering what the thread title meant when I looked at the forum listing. I take it you mean that Ancestry's ethnicity update is available now, Phoenix? I will go and have a look! I saw they tweeted yesterday that something exciting was happening today but they haven't announced what it is on Twitter yet.

kiterunner
11-09-20, 13:51
Well, they've managed to separate Wales out from England and NW Europe. My 9% Scotland and Ireland has been split into 4% Ireland and 1% Scotland, and I have acquired 7% Norway from somewhere (maybe I got yours, Phoenix!). I can't really say how accurate it is until I figure out who my missing ancestors are, though.

Phoenix
11-09-20, 13:53
Yes, I could have phrased it better. Have to say that while the last update was generally acceptable, these seem bizarre. The only acceptable one is my friend who remains 100% european jewish.

maggie_4_7
11-09-20, 13:58
Scotland 59%
• Scottish Central Lowlands
England & Northwestern Europe 20%
Ireland 19%
Wales 2%

Additional Communities

Scottish Lowlands, Northern England & Northern Ireland

Well I am now more Scottish, gained Wales and Ireland, lost Norway 7%, kiterunner you have my Norwegian 7% :D

Sue from Southend
11-09-20, 14:27
I have "lost" 20% England and North Western Europe and gained some Scotland, Wales and Ireland with the majority being Scots where I would have thought that the Irish amount would be larger. I've also gained a lot of Norway - about 7%! I'm also 2% more Jewish, too.

My sister's is different again....

Edit - I've just looked at how the Scotland, Wales and Ireland results are broken down and looking at the maps Scotland can include Northern Ireland. Wales and Ireland also include Brittany all of which seems to correlate a little better with what I know of my FH. Of course it all makes sense as we know that the Celtic races are very similar but it's nice to see that Ancestry are acknowledging it now.

ElizabethHerts
11-09-20, 17:42
Mine has changed too:

England & Northwestern Europe 53%
Yorkshire & East Midlands, England West Yorkshire & Southern North Yorkshire

Scotland 36%
North East Scotland & the Northern Isles
Banff & Buchan
Moray & Gordon

Germanic Europe 8%
Sweden 3%

They still seem to be ignoring my heritage from the south of England, particularly Cornwall, Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire etc.

I suspect that what is happening is that most of my matches come from my father's side, in particular his ancestors from Scotland and Yorkshire, and my mother's heritage, for which I have far fewer matches, is not being taken into consideration on such a large scale.

kiterunner
11-09-20, 19:14
Despite the thread title, your ethnicity estimate is not based on your own DNA matches, Elizabeth, but on a comparison of your DNA with a reference panel.

Mary from Italy
11-09-20, 20:19
I have also somehow acquired 33% Scottish ancestry (I actually have none at all, and none in Northern Ireland either).

It says "Your ethnicity estimate is 33%, but it can range from 4-33%", which hardly inspires confidence in the accuracy of the results.

Previously, my Ancestry ethnicity estimates were much more accurate than the ones on MyHeritage and FTDNA, but not any more.

maggie_4_7
11-09-20, 20:34
I have also somehow acquired 33% Scottish ancestry (I actually have none at all, and none in Northern Ireland either).

It says "Your ethnicity estimate is 33%, but it can range from 4-33%", which hardly inspires confidence in the accuracy of the results.

Previously, my Ancestry ethnicity estimates were much more accurate than the ones on MyHeritage and FTDNA, but not any more.

Yes I doubt mine now because of the 59% Scottish and the 19% Irish because other than my Scottish ancestors there isn't any Irish. So that would make 78% coming from my Scottish ancestors and 20% from England and North West Europe and I don't believe that to be right. In my research it is approx half and half with a few other strains chucked in. The last update seemed more right.

Phoenix
11-09-20, 20:41
If you want to change the title to something less confusing, Kite, please feel free.

Phoenix
11-09-20, 20:55
I know the birthplaces of all my ancestors back to the start of censuses and nothing in my DNA matches suggest that my female ancestors were playing away. My one Irish ancestor is born somewhere in the 1700s, probably in southern Ireland.
With surnames like Rice, Adams and Edwards, I can imagine that some of my Devon ancestors originated from Wales.
But 11% Scottish? This has to be ancient DNA, widespread across England. I cannot see how it relates to any recent ancestors.

I wonder what surprising new ethnicity the next update will introduce. Portugese? Mongolian?

HarrysMum
11-09-20, 21:08
My English has gone down, which makes sense. They have separated my Scottish and Irish which makes sense. But they took my German away. Who the heck is my great grandmother then?

KiwiChris
11-09-20, 21:19
Mine has changed as well, I have picked up 7% Welsh from somewhere, without a Jones, Davies or Evans anywhere in my tree :rolleyes:
I have lost my Swedish tiny % and am now 6% Norwegian,
The rest is 32% Scottish, 29% Irish and 26% English and North Western European
Given that according to my research, my father was 75% English 25% Scottish and my mother 75% Irish and 25% English, the mix does not quite add up.

Kit
12-09-20, 10:46
The interesting change for me is that Dad and I have different parts of India in our ethnicity. Given all my Indian connection comes from Dad, I find that a little strange.

Sue from Southend
12-09-20, 13:41
An interesting blog on Ancestry explaining the new UK ethnicity results -

https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2020/09/11/why-your-latest-results-could-include-more-scotland-in-your-ethnicity-estimates/?fbclid=IwAR2r5syDKcNPNDfRscgH76Qst_sDHLwIsZISjDSi 2o1Edv-AMGVJ4LNmU_s

Phoenix
12-09-20, 18:11
An interesting blog on Ancestry explaining the new UK ethnicity results -

https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2020/09/11/why-your-latest-results-could-include-more-scotland-in-your-ethnicity-estimates/?fbclid=IwAR2r5syDKcNPNDfRscgH76Qst_sDHLwIsZISjDSi 2o1Edv-AMGVJ4LNmU_s

What utter tripe.

It surely only demonstrates how untrustworthy current results are.

I now wonder whether that Scottish slice of my results is actually my Norfolk lot. It was said that my Daglas ancestors may have been Scottish drovers. As they were already in Norfolk by the 1640s, they can't account for much.

Nell
13-09-20, 22:00
I now have 13% Scottish despite going back to the 17th century with most of my lines and back further with some of them. The furthest north is North Norfolk, which isn't in Scotland as far as I know.

Every time Ancestry updates it seems to get less and less likely.

Phoenix
15-09-20, 07:18
I do wonder whether eastern England shares a lot of ancient DNA with Scotland. By the C19th my East Anglian ancestors are whizzing up and down the coast. I get the feeling that half of Sunderland has Norfolk roots.

Nell
16-09-20, 12:40
An interesting theory, Phoenix. I had a Norfolk great uncle who went to work at Armstrong's munitions in Newcastle.

But it probably started with the Vikings raiding along the east coast, raping and pillaging.

Phoenix
16-09-20, 13:02
Agree with both statements, Nell.

What Ancestry is calling Scottish is unlikely to be unique to Scotland, but DNA shared with most East Coast English.

But there were huge movements out of East Anglia as first the woollen industry and then agriculture collapsed.

maggie_4_7
16-09-20, 15:47
Agree with both statements, Nell.

What Ancestry is calling Scottish is unlikely to be unique to Scotland, but DNA shared with most East Coast English.

But there were huge movements out of East Anglia as first the woollen industry and then agriculture collapsed.

Perhaps thats why my Scottish has gone up wildly I have a lot of ancestors from Norfolk and Suffolk as well as Scotland and NI.

Mary from Italy
17-09-20, 16:05
Yet I have none at all.