PDA

View Full Version : Ann Wingfield Inquest 1860

maggie_4_7
19-08-20, 13:51
In my quest to tie up some of the Wingfields I have moved to Ann Wingfield born 1834 another of my grt grt grandmother Emma's older sisters.

I found what I believe to be her death in 1860 some time ago but just decided to send for the certificate.

It arrived and it is quite strange, I am sure it is her but she died in unusual circumstances.

Date of death: 16th December 1860
Place of death: 27 Victoria Rd Shoreditch
Cause of death: Found dead exudate of blood from right lung
Rank or profession: Living with a gentleman
Informant: Information recieved from John Humphreys Coroner of Middlesex. Inquest held 19th December 1860

I know that the NA have inquest reports and I have looked at some newspaper archives and didn't find anything but then I never do. Is there anywhere else that may have some information?

Phoenix
19-08-20, 14:11
LMA might have something, but inquests are very iffy - don't release under 75 years and if over 75yrs, no need to keep. I have yet to find anything.

Poor young woman. I assume they meant tb?

maggie_4_7
19-08-20, 14:15
LMA might have something, but inquests are very iffy - don't release under 75 years and if over 75yrs, no need to keep. I have yet to find anything.

Poor young woman. I assume they meant tb?

I don't know, she seemed to be living with a man who isn't named. Wouldn't they immediately know if it was TB.

Edit to say: I am more interested in the man she was living with to be honest, Sarah Eliza was living around the corner in 1861.

Phoenix
19-08-20, 14:28
They never name the man. We are daughters of Eve, it's our fault we are tempting poor, upright men. We mustn't damage their reputations by naming them.

Phoenix
19-08-20, 14:31
I don't know, she seemed to be living with a man who isn't named. Wouldn't they immediately know if it was TB.

If she was found dead in bed, with her nightdress covered in blood, people would be screaming blue murder. I assume he is saying it isn't that as the blood came from her lung, not from a wound.

One hopes.

Olde Crone
19-08-20, 15:45
Ooooh, can't you hear the disapproval echoing down the years! What on earth was the point of stating that she was "living with a gentleman", what bearing did that have on anything. Spiteful.

OC

Phoenix
19-08-20, 15:54
Probably not what Victoria Road was like:

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/hunt-the-awakening-conscience-t02075

Nell
19-08-20, 15:56
At least he was a gentleman! I can't see how who you live with is a rank or profession, though.

As for cause of death, my first thought was TB. She could have injured her lung, but then there would be external signs. Another possibility is cancer, but they would only know if there was a post mortem.

My great-grandfather Thomas Matthews, also died in a Victoria Road, but in Holloway and since renamed. LMA did not have his inquest but I found a report of it in a local newspaper - just one paragraph stating cause of death (which wasn't quite what was on the death cert, lol!) and mentioning his wife and the circumstances. Can't remember now if I got the report at the LMA, I think I got it from the Islington Local History Centre round the corner.

maggie_4_7
19-08-20, 15:57
Ooooh, can't you hear the disapproval echoing down the years! What on earth was the point of stating that she was "living with a gentleman", what bearing did that have on anything. Spiteful.

OC

LOL

The Wingfields have always irritated me insomuch I have lost three of my grt grt grandmother's older siblings.

Henry Page Wingfield b 1819 (alive in 1831)

Martha Louisa Wingfield born 1823 (alive in 1841 probably never used the name Martha none of the Martha Louisas in the Wingfield family used Martha only used Louisa

John Dorset Wingfield born 1828 (alive in 1841 I suspect he was transported to Australia)

... and Sarah Eliza born 1825 and Ann born 1834 are a bloody nuisance.

Merry
19-08-20, 15:59
I can't find that address on the 1861 census :o

kiterunner
19-08-20, 16:03
FMP / BNA does have the Shoreditch Observer, a weekly paper, including the issue published 22 Dec 1860. Nothing came up searching for the name Wingfield, but you could look through the paper and see if there is something that the OCR software missed, or an item that doesn't give her name? I would try but I'm on my laptop atm and it would be difficult.

maggie_4_7
19-08-20, 16:06

It is actually named on the 1861 census Sarah Eliza is on but not in its own right, I have looked too.

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/8767/images/MDXRG9_245_249-0383?pId=5589897

The road is now named Brougham Rd, it isn't far from me, some original houses still stand but not 27.

maggie_4_7
19-08-20, 17:16
FMP / BNA does have the Shoreditch Observer, a weekly paper, including the issue published 22 Dec 1860. Nothing came up searching for the name Wingfield, but you could look through the paper and see if there is something that the OCR software missed, or an item that doesn't give her name? I would try but I'm on my laptop atm and it would be difficult.

Thank you, I looked and I found a mention on Page 2 of the 12th Jan issue of the Shoreditch Observer. It says ...

"The apparent mortality rate is further raised by the registration of five inquests; these include the two infants already referred to; one case of apoplexy in an aged woman, a case of bleeding from the lungs and one sudden death from disease of the heart."

But thats it at the moment.

maggie_4_7
20-08-20, 06:12

It is actually named on the 1861 census Sarah Eliza is on but not in its own right, I have looked too.

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/8767/images/MDXRG9_245_249-0383?pId=5589897

The road is now named Brougham Rd, it isn't far from me, some original houses still stand but not 27.

I have thought about this, I have looked on the 1858 map for Victoria Rd and it doesn't have Hay Place or Nelson Terrace and I have noticed that Sarah is at No 27 Hay Place, Victoria Rd and all through that census Victoria Rd is named after another address ie 2 Nelson Terrace Victoria Rd, 11 Portland Terrace Victoria Rd.

Neither I nor Merry can find a census with Victoria Rd on in it's own right with numbers. I looked on FMP too so I am thinking that the addresses are actually Victoria Rd. We still have some addresses (very old town houses) in Hackney especially around Victoria Park that are fashioned 1 Queen's Villas Victoria Park Rd and 1 Prince's Terrace Victoria Park Rd for instance.