PDA

View Full Version : anyone with full Ancestry..check please

Sally
19-01-10, 19:16
I have asked for this before, but just need a double check before I give up on this one:

Phoebe (Downing - but she would have a different surname) born 1831 in Durham, England. Most likely in the Philadelphia area.

I would be so grateful if someone could look for me

Sally

kiterunner
19-01-10, 19:19
If she has a different surname I'm not sure how we would find her, because it will only say "England" for her birthplace on the US censuses?

Sally
19-01-10, 19:20
That's fine Kate, because if the birth date is there then at least I have some hope don't I??

From what I have learned, she may well have HAD to marry anybody who who have her before being allowed in to Philadelphia

Merry
19-01-10, 19:23
Erm if you don't know her surname, how will you know you are looking at the right person?

Merry
19-01-10, 19:26
I just looked in 1880 on Family search and there are 17 Phoebes b in England of the right age living in Pennysylvania - don't know how many of those are near Philadelphia - one of them could be her or she might be dec'd and therefore none of them are her, or she might be missed from the census or in a different state.

See - it's tricky! lol

Sally
19-01-10, 19:31
I know it is Merry.......very tricky. The thing is, she probably didn't survive the crossing, because of horrendous disease etc. in 1853 when she went across, but if there is the slightest chance that she did then I will have to pursue her

Sally
19-01-10, 19:32
Thank you for looking, and I will have to find a way to pursue this further somehow

Merry
19-01-10, 19:33
Did she travel alone?

Merry
19-01-10, 19:47
There are a few male Downings in Pennsylvania around Phoebe's age - Adam, William and Thomas.

Sally
19-01-10, 20:10
Merry, she travelled with her brother George, born 1828 in Durham. So none of those names match up.

I have a feeling that if she is not in Philadelphia then she did not survive.......silly to just go with a feeling perhaps?! I will have to see if they have records at the quarrantine house just outside Philadelphia, namely Lazaretto.