PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Gleeson and family

Merry
11-07-20, 14:52
Can anyone find this family for me in 1901, most likely in Cork?

Daniel Gleeson born Cork about 1864 (according to the 1911 census)
Hannah Gleeson probably born Cork about 1866

Children:
Michael Gleeson b July 1896
Bartholomew Gleeson b Nov 1897

Hannah died in Feb 1903 aged 36
Michael died in 1904 aged 7

The last entries I have before the 1901 census have their address as 10 Gunpowder Lane, Cork (31 Aug 1900, death cert of another child) and the first entry after 1901 is Hannah's death in 1903 when they were at Pickett Lane, Cork.

Daniel appears with his third wife, Eliza(beth), in 1911 along with Bartholomew from the above marriage.

kiterunner
11-07-20, 15:12
10 Gunpowder Lane is a family called Driscoll on the 1901 census.

kiterunner
11-07-20, 15:14
And no Gleesons in Pickett's Lane in 1901.

kiterunner
11-07-20, 15:34
There is this Hannah although her children don't have the right names:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000545265/

Any chance Daniel's mother was called Elizabeth?

Merry
11-07-20, 16:12
I don't think I know Daniel's mother's name. His father was Michael.

I've been looking for the birth registrations for those children, but I can't find any of them. Maybe only Elizabeth should be a Gleeson!

Macbev
11-07-20, 17:36
There is this Hannah although her children don't have the right names:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000545265/

Any chance Daniel's mother was called Elizabeth?

That Gleeson belongs to me :)

Elizabeth Gleeson nee Lynch, was widow of Maurice Gleeson, my g.grandfather. There were 10 children, all born in Rathmore co. Kerry, but Michael (#7 child) moved to Cork, as did his youngest brother Daniel. The family farm in Kerry was sold and Elizabeth went to live with her son Michael and his wife Hannah nee Kelleher.
Hannah died in 1903.

The family emigrated to St Louis, Missouri USA in 1904,joining four siblings who had emigrated at varying times earlier. Michael married Margaret Cremin in 1907 and added more children to his brood.
Four other siblings migrated to Australia, my grandfather among them..

To the best of my knowledge, Michael had no son named Bartholomew and much as I would like to find a new family connection, I don't think he is Merry's Gleeson

kiterunner
11-07-20, 17:44
What are the chances?!

Macbev
11-07-20, 17:47
This is a useful free site for Irish records.....civil registrations, church records, census and some other stuff. You have to register your name but it is pretty easy to use (by Irish standards) If you look for Bartholomew's civil birth registration, there is also a PDF of the registration image available. Hannah's maiden name was Scammell.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

kiterunner
11-07-20, 17:59
I think it was the children in that 1901 census entry I linked to whose birth regs Merry couldn't find, Macbev, rather than the ones she originally asked about.

Macbev
11-07-20, 18:23
I think it was the children in that 1901 census entry I linked to whose birth regs Merry couldn't find, Macbev, rather than the ones she originally asked about.

Ah...well those children (Maurice, Daniel and Dennis) are definitely the sons of Hannah nee Kelleher and her husband Michael Gleeson (who appears elsewhere on the 1901 census...at his place of employment as a draper's assistant).

I notice that Merry's Daniel is shown as an army pensioner (Royal Munster, I think) on the 1911 census. He might well be posted elsewhere with his family in 1901.

Merry
11-07-20, 18:49
McBev - I panicked a bit when you said your Hannah died in 1903 as that's when 'mine' died (actually OH's!). But mine was Feb and yours May, both aged 36.

Yes, I meant I couldn't see birth registrations for Maurice and the others (ie yours!) as I was looking to find their mmn.

I think my Daniel may have been in the army before his first marriage, as none of the birth certificates for his various children or any of his three marriage certs say anything about him being in the army. I suppose it is possible though.....given they are all hiding in 1901!

Merry
11-07-20, 19:01
What are the chances?!

lol!! :D

Macbev
11-07-20, 19:07
I did notice a Daniel Gleeson, reg No:1579 in the Royal Munster Fusiliers out in Burma, 1887-9 and Sth Africa for the Boer War abt 1902. However, I found a short attestation paper for that reg no. and it suggests a birthplace in St Forfar, Yorks https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1114&h=316054&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=CRL8262&_phstart=successSource

Coincidental?

Merry
11-07-20, 19:21
Maybe. I only think it may have been the Royal Munster Fusiliers - the 1911 census record just says Royal M squggle squiggle!

It's Hannah (Scannell) that I'm most interested in. She is a 'new' child of OH's 2xg-grandparents that we didn't know about until the start of our lockdown here. I did a load of research on her in March/April, all written on a sheet of paper which I then lost. This morning I discovered her all over again and didn't find the bit of paper until now. I must get what we know added to the tree before the paper goes missing again! Frustrating that the only census record for her should be the 1901, but she is missing. She has no baptism either (I mean I can't find one; I expect she was baptised!).

Macbev
12-07-20, 12:08
just found marriage for Daniel & Hannah...guess you have that already. D/o Bat Scannell (Bart? - if so, that would fit with name of son, following the Irish naming patterns). The image seems to say Daniel was a widower....was Hannah his 2nd wife?

Merry
12-07-20, 12:24
Yes, that's right, Daniel married three times. The first was to Hannah Collins and the third was to Eliza(beth) nee Barrett who had previously been married to someone named Bowen.