PDA

View Full Version : Adding an Ancestry User to your tree

Phoenix
15-04-20, 09:44
This has just appeared. I have no intention of doing this, but does it mean that a complete stranger could hijack your tree?

Do you have any say over the matter?

kiterunner
15-04-20, 11:18
Do you mean the feature they are rolling out gradually to various members where you can mark one of your DNA matches as being a certain person in your tree, Phoenix? I haven't got that feature yet, but as far as I know, the other person will not know that you have done it.

Or do you mean making another Ancestry member an editor of your tree? That has been possible for a long time.

Phoenix
15-04-20, 11:47
It seems to be inviting you to add the Ancestry member A ie a living person to your tree.

If you had invited another Ancestry member B to be an editor, they presumably could see A on the tree, even if A could not?

kiterunner
15-04-20, 11:51
Presumably. Actually, I think person B would also have to be a viewer, collaborator, or manager of your DNA test to see which DNA matches you have added to your tree.

kiterunner
15-04-20, 15:55
Ooh, I have got this feature now! I am going to have a play with it and see what it does.

kiterunner
15-04-20, 16:35
Adding people doesn't seem to have affected how they show up on ThruLines yet, but maybe it takes a day or two for that to happen?

Sue from Southend
17-04-20, 10:02
I think it takes 24 hours for ThruLines to catch up. I'm not really understanding the value of this feature..... I'd be interested in your opinion!

kiterunner
17-04-20, 14:04
It doesn't seem to be very useful yet, Sue. I was hoping it would correct mistakes in ThruLines (for instance, where my cousin is shown as my half-cousin) but it doesn't seem to have any effect on ThruLines at the moment. Maybe they will make some changes in the future which will make it more useful though.

Kit
19-04-20, 08:47
It just links your tree to your match. No one else knows you have added the link, not even people with access to the tree. So it is entirely safe.

Found this on FB from someone who asked ancestry

kiterunner
19-04-20, 09:15
Well, I have viewing access to a relative's DNA test, and I can see which of their DNA matches they have added to their tree (I think their tree is a public one but also, I have been invited to it).

kiterunner
19-04-20, 18:06
Hmm, I'm not sure whether this is caused by the new feature or something else? I'm looking at a DNA match, call them X, who has a "Common ancestor" hint showing. I have not added them to my tree. When I view the Common ancestor hint, it is showing me a Thrulines type tree diagram, but on the DNA match's side, it is showing me how three of my matches, including X, are related to each other - another match is X's parent, and another one is X's child. So they are actually shown as such in the tree diagram. I don't know whether it would have done the same before the new feature was added? Oh, actually I think all 3 of these people's DNA tests are managed by the same person so their DNA tests are all linked to the same tree anyway. So probably nothing to do with the new feature!

Kit
21-04-20, 09:00
Thrulines do that anyway. If they have a tree or the tree can be guesstimated.

When you say you can see which DNA matches have added to the tree you can see, can you tell that by the little icon thing, or just be seeing the name?

kiterunner
21-04-20, 15:24
Thrulines do that anyway. If they have a tree or the tree can be guesstimated.

When you say you can see which DNA matches have added to the tree you can see, can you tell that by the little icon thing, or just be seeing the name?

By the icon thing.