PDA

View Full Version : Common ancestors

Kit
24-02-20, 21:27
I was looking for new matches just now and found who was new and had a common ancestor. I clicked on the common ancestor button and it compares our trees.

My online tree is not complete, it has enough for people to find my more direct lines.

I noticed on the right hand side a column which I thought was just trees that had the person I was looking at on them. I was wrong. You can add the person to your tree, and you have to use on of those trees as your source.

I can just see this leading to even more errors as people will think all the trees are correct as there is a DNA match.

Kit
24-02-20, 21:32
You can not add living or people marked private, which is a good thing.

Phoenix
24-02-20, 22:00
I was looking for new matches just now and found who was new and had a common ancestor. I clicked on the common ancestor button and it compares our trees.

My online tree is not complete, it has enough for people to find my more direct lines.

I noticed on the right hand side a column which I thought was just trees that had the person I was looking at on them. I was wrong. You can add the person to your tree, and you have to use on of those trees as your source.

I can just see this leading to even more errors as people will think all the trees are correct as there is a DNA match.

The world and his wife have taken a mistranscription on Family Search as being true, so have my distant ancestor erroneously married to Jane Small. My tree is correct. I have made a separate tree for Jane Small. I have made notes on my tree.

Ancestry is still suggesting Jane as an ancestor.:rolleyes:

Kit
26-02-20, 06:22
You must be wrong, the world and his wife say otherwise. Shame that proof is not important in these decisions.

Phoenix
26-02-20, 07:28
Yes, because of course the DNA PROVES they are right :rolleyes: