PDA

View Full Version : Finding people pre census.

HarrysMum
13-02-20, 11:00
I have an Edward Eyre living at 5 Landsdown Cres Bath in about 1806.

Can anyone give me any ideas on connecting him to my Elizabeth Naylor (nee Eyre).

I know it’s a long shot, but any ideas welcome.

kiterunner
13-02-20, 11:17
Look for parish register entries, wills, and the Bath Record Office catalogues:
https://www.batharchives.co.uk/online-catalogues

Also the Bath Ancestors database which I think is separate from those catalogues:
https://www.batharchives.co.uk/bath-ancestors

And their Georgian Newspaper Project:
https://www.batharchives.co.uk/georgian-newspaper-project

Plus of course the newspapers on FMP / British Newspaper Archive.

HarrysMum
13-02-20, 11:30
Thank you.

Merry
13-02-20, 11:44
The sale of some of his estate following his death is mentioned here with that address:

Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette 18 December 1823

Merry
13-02-20, 11:47
His burial (in Walcot Aug 1823) and his PCC will are both on Ancestry.

HarrysMum
13-02-20, 11:50
Sorry, missed you. I’ve just put a new post about his will. Not sure if it should be added to this or not.

I’ll see if I can find that gazette.

I’m looking for him as he bought and sold some artwork that sounds very similar to that auctioned off by the lovely Lucretia after Myles Ariel died. Myles’ mother in law was Elizabeth Naylor, nee Eyre.

Merry
13-02-20, 12:02
His burial suggests he was born around 1738, which I think is around the same time as George Naylor (husband of Elizabeth Eyre) was born, but was Elizabeth quite a bit younger? (I'm thinking she didn't have a lot of children? but she must have had at least one!! lol).

Merry
13-02-20, 12:04
Have you googled him? There's lots of stuff in a similar vein to this:

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Eyre-116

HarrysMum
13-02-20, 12:11
George and Elizabeth had two children, George and Elizabeth. I presume young George died as a child because he is not mentioned in his father’s will and he would have still been a child.

Elizabeth went on to marry Myles Ariel.......sadly I think.

Phoenix
13-02-20, 12:12
How did you find him in the first place? I am currently reading a novel set in the Bath of that period. I've only visited Bath a couple of times, but I've heard of Lansdown Crescent. Because it was a spa town, it had lots of rented property. There are bound to be lots of directories for Bath, but I don't know whether visitors would feature, and I don't know the mixture between permanent and temporary residents in Lansdown Crescent, but I suspect that the latter might be numerous.

Phoenix
13-02-20, 12:14
Fatal to leave these boards for a couple of minutes - I think Merry has suppled all the answers!

HarrysMum
13-02-20, 12:16
I’ve got Edward Eyre b 1720 and another 1758. But they all have the name Vincent in their family.
Was it common? I’ve not come across it much in that era.

Merry
13-02-20, 12:20
George and Elizabeth had two children, George and Elizabeth. I presume young George died as a child because he is not mentioned in his father’s will and he would have still been a child.

Elizabeth went on to marry Myles Ariel.......sadly I think.

Yes, but you are trying to connect this Edward Eyre b 1738 to Elizabeth Eyre (George Naylor's wife) born about when? Do you have a burial for Mrs Elizabeth Naylr?

HarrysMum
13-02-20, 12:21
I started this thanks to that wretched Phillip Mould and Fiona Bruce on TV. They mentioned the Getty Index for finding artwork. So...I threw in some of the ones Myles Ariel owned and who should pop up but Edward Eyre. , Landsdown Cres Bath.

Where did Myles’ widow and daughter live? Landsdown Villa Bristol.

I always thought perhaps Myles obtained a lot of his wealth from his first wife, then after having her will overturned, wrote a new one leaving everything to his new wife. He dies a few months later and she sells off everything.

HarrysMum
13-02-20, 12:24
Yes, but you are trying to connect this Edward Eyre b 1738 to Elizabeth Eyre (George Naylor's wife) born about when? Do you have a burial for Mrs Elizabeth Naylr?

Yes, Elizabeth Naylor, nee Eyre died 1829 in Bristol. Presume she was living with or near, her daughter, Elizabeth Ariel.

I’m only working on this because Edward Eyre of Landsdown Cres Bath once owned artwork very similar to what was in Myles Ariel’s possessions when he died.

I should be in bed. I’ll be great tomorrow.....lol

Merry
13-02-20, 12:25
Several trees have this as the burial of the father of Edward (1738-1823)

Name: Edward Eyre
Record Type: Burial
Death Date: abt 1777
Burial Date: 18 Dec 1777
Burial Place: St Mary at Finchley, Hendon, Barnet, Middlesex, England

and a PCC will Edward Eyre Esquire
24 Dec 1777 St Paul Covent Garden, Middlesex, England

I don't know if those are correct though. Googling says his father was a silk merchant, but the will says linen draper.

Merry
13-02-20, 12:31
I’ve got Edward Eyre b 1720 and another 1758. But they all have the name Vincent in their family.
Was it common? I’ve not come across it much in that era.

I've just come across the name Vincent in the 1777 will! Testators grandson, Edward Vincent Eyre and he was probaby in the other will, but I hadn't read your post about Vincent at that stage.

HarrysMum
13-02-20, 12:36
I think you transcribed a will from a Vincent Eyre. They are all over my Eyres. Maybe a coincidence.

Merry
13-02-20, 12:41
Do you know what year your Vincent Eyre died? The 1777 testator says he had a brother Vincent Eyre who predeceased him (he left something to his brother's widow)

Merry
13-02-20, 12:52
Yes, Elizabeth Naylor, nee Eyre died 1829 in Bristol.

And her age was?!

I was trying to make her a younger sister of Edward Eyre who died in 1823 in Bath, but if that IS his father dying in 1777 that Edward senr didn't leave anything to Elizabeth Naylor. His estate went to son Edward, and daughters Charlotte and Sarah.

I did have to speed-read the 1777 will as it was pages and pages and I have to have driven five miles in the next 8 mins, so had better go now!

Merry
13-02-20, 15:23
And her age was?!

OK, just found the burial and her age of 73 in 1829 suggests a birth of around 1756, so some 18 years younger than Edward. It doesn't look as if they are siblings if Edward's father is Edward d 1777 as Eliz isn't in his will, but they could still be related...

Merry
13-02-20, 15:27
I've just realised you have a father for Elizabeth Eyre! So James Eyre is her father - I remember him now - he died in 1805 in Leeds didn't he?!! (and that's without looking!)

HarrysMum
13-02-20, 19:15
Far out, you are good. Yes, sorry. I was asleep. James was Elizabeth’s father. Edward was James’ father.
James had a brother Vincent born 1739.

Merry
13-02-20, 21:10
So do you think at best these two families are some sort of cousins and the link is further back?

HarrysMum
13-02-20, 21:32
Don’t know. It just all seems strangely connected, but no idea how yet.

Lucretia Ariel, nee Clark, auctioned off all of her husband’s belongings.
Myles died shortly after marrying Lucretia.
Myles had his first wife’s will overturned. Elizabeth Ariel, nee Naylor.
She left a load of stuff to the kids. I believe she brought the bulk if the wealth into the family, again no actual proof.
The auction catalogue lists everything so I checked Getty Index for anything on the paintings.
That’s where I found Edward Eyre had sold quite a lot that were very similar to those in Myles’ possession. Most were sold around 1790s to 1806.

The Ariels and Clarks were active around Bristol and Bath, as well as Yorkshire and then earlier the Lakes District via the Sawrey and Kirkby branch.

As you know, something has never sat right with me and that Clark lot........lol