PDA

View Full Version : 7 cM connection

Phoenix
23-01-20, 12:36
I have discovered a match, on Dad's side, with the Armstrong-Whitworth family.

Dad would be chuffed to pieces as he won a Whitworth medal.

The only thing is, that family appears to be firmly northern in origin, the only blip being a foray into Hampshire in WW1.

Dad's family is firmly southern, in the Hampshire and south coast region.

I was about to send a cheery "gosh, how thrilled Dad would be" email, until I realised that the connection might be nothing to do with the Armstong-Whitworths at all :o

marquette
25-01-20, 04:54
Yes, I have a similar problem.

A small match for which Ancestry suggested a common ancestor, but could not make their suggestion work, as we have proved that there are two Samuel Bennetts - unless of course they are related some generations earlier. There was another obvious name in the tree, but I cannot reconcile the two families there, either, several generations in different villages (and counties), so now we are scratching our collective heads. More work needed on everyone's trees I think.

Phoenix
25-01-20, 07:39
I have the horrid, probably incorrect, theory that Armitage-Whitworth was away at war, while his wife amused herself in Hampshire, but that is not something one can suggest to a stranger!

Sometimes I have matches with one segment in common, but places/surnames on both sides of the family.