PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone see an ancestor?!

Merry
14-12-19, 12:38
In any of these free-to-watch short films:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/search/free

Janet
14-12-19, 16:56
Oh, those look very interesting. Must come back to this. Thanks, Merry!

Phoenix
14-12-19, 18:30
Oh wow, thanks Merry!

My grandfather may have made some of the corsets featured in the film I've just watched :D

Mary from Italy
14-12-19, 19:07
They do look interesting. Pity you have to be in the UK to view them.

Merry
14-12-19, 20:22
Ooh, sorry Mary. I wonder if Janet can view them?

Olde Crone
14-12-19, 21:13
Ooh, so spooky, went straight to Blackburn where lots of mine lived. Didn't spot anyone I know though.

Fascinating, thankyou for this, Merry!

OC

Merry
14-12-19, 22:52
OC - There are a few for Darwen too.

ElizabethHerts
15-12-19, 08:04
Incredible! I didn't know there were so many on there until I started scrolling through the pages.

There is one promoting the local dairy of the town we live in for the year 1930!

Kit
16-12-19, 23:49
They do look interesting. Pity you have to be in the UK to view them.

I got all the way to Play for Free and thought I could see them but then it decided I couldn't. ;(;(

Janet
17-12-19, 02:03
Ooh, sorry Mary. I wonder if Janet can view them?

Awww, r-r-r-r-a-t-s! And I was so looking forward to this. :(

Location not authorised
BFI Player films cannot be played outside of the UK
Error code: geo
See Help

EDIT:
Hang on! I was able to watch some of these by doing a search, putting the title in quotes and appending site:youtube.com.

I haven't exhausted the possibilities, just proved that the method can work.

Meanwhile I found this one which is pretty interesting too:
The Oldest Photographs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4KVgiIfg6o)

And EDIT again:
I suppose you can actually just go to youtube and use their own search field. That seems to work too.

Merry
17-12-19, 07:41
Loved the Oldest Photos, Janet. Thought they don't seem to know about the photo of my 3xg-grandfather printed in a book - he looks to be around 30 years of age and was born in 1748! :rolleyes:

Janet
17-12-19, 14:05
Well, you must tell them, Merry! Lol.

Merry
17-12-19, 15:32
I told the author of the book, but he said the photo must be my 3xg as the negative had his name written on it! Of course he had a son, two grandsons and further descendants with the same name.... :rolleyes:

Janet
17-12-19, 23:47
Makes you wonder about the rest of the book. Good for a laugh anyway, I guess!

Merry
18-12-19, 07:35
Makes you wonder about the rest of the book.

Not too much I hope, as about a third of it is entirely about my family! Luckily, the author mainly quoted from my 3xg-gf's memoirs, so any errors or omissions should be his (and there are some glaring ones - writing about his family - cleverly hiding the two relationships he had at the same time and the child he had by his wife's niece without lying, yet making everything sound respectable and above board!).

Janet
18-12-19, 16:09
Ooh, sorry. Yes, I hope so! Your 3xg-gf's way with words reminds me of my mother. :d