Jean/Jane Geddes

Date and place of birth:
12th November 1834 in Gasswater, Auchinleck, Ayr, Scotland

Names of parents:
John Geddes and Jean/Jane Watson

Date and place of baptism:
1st February 1835 in the Church of Auchinleck

Details of each of his or her marriages:
Married James Russel Stewart Young on 27 June 1862 at Gasswater, Auchinleck, Ayr, Scotland

Occupation(s):
Servant
Dairy Maid
Farm Servant

Addresses where they lived:
1841 Census missing on Ancestry
Dafad, Auchinleck, Ayr, Scotland - 1851 Census
Balmae Naughton, Kenmore, Perthshire - 1861 Census

Date, place and cause of death:
5th August 1865 at Gasswater, Auchinleck, Ayr, Scotland of continued fever for a month (whatever that means)

Date and place of burial / cremation:
Not known

Details of will / administration of their estate:
Not known probably none

Memorial inscription:
Not known

kiterunner
15-01-10, 10:16
I recognise the name - think I've looked for them on those censuses before, but I will have another try!

kiterunner
15-01-10, 10:28
No, I don't think I have looked for her on those censuses before after all.

1851 she is a servant at Dafad (according to ancestry), Auchinleck, age 16, head of household surname Baird. Her sister Elizabeth is a servant with some other Bairds, so maybe the Bairds were related to the Geddeses? Anyway, Jean is listed on ancestry as Jean Geddies, Auchinleck, ED 8, page 9, household schedule number 21.

kiterunner
15-01-10, 10:30
And there is a possible for her in 1861 at Kenmore, Perthshire, Jane Geddes, dairy maid, age 25, but ancestry give her birthplace as "Auchenbreck, Ayrshire" so you would need to check on Scotland's People to see if it is really Auchinleck.

kiterunner
15-01-10, 10:32
Oh, and ancestry says the 1841 census for Auchinleck is missing, so not much point searching for her on that one!

maggie_4_7
15-01-10, 11:24
Sorry I went off for a while.

You probably remember the name Geddes because it is repeated for the next two generations as middles names in her son's name which I've posted on TOGG and also her grandson's name (my Scottish grandfather).

Thank you Kite, I have looked but my Scottish lot seem to merge into one so many names repeated.

Thanks for finding those census, poor woman died very young.

Edit to say: the transcription of the Scottish census on Ancestry leave a lot to be desired I think, I'll go check the images on Scotlands People.