PDA

View Full Version : Thrulines techno question

Phoenix
24-10-19, 10:27
Aunt's tree is full and explicit.

How come one ancestor has 1 DNA match, while his wife (who admittedly had an illegitimate child, but nobody is descended from him) has 16?

He is my elusive Riley, while she has far more interest, but I'd expect to be named in any tree. Is it that he dies in 1843, so may be tagged to fewer sources?

kiterunner
24-10-19, 12:51
Maybe someone has his details slightly different in their tree from how you do, and Thrulines has taken that to mean the wife had two different husbands. It seems to suggest a lot of 1/2 cousin relationships which should be full ones.

Phoenix
24-10-19, 17:26
Thanks, Kite.

Phoenix
29-10-19, 06:20
It occurs to me to wonder if a MAN is only added to Thrulines is there are connections with his ancestors as well (on the "It's a wise child who knows its parents" principle)

We all know of contrary scenarios, but in general one can assume that children brought up within a marriage will have the same mother.

Kit
30-10-19, 00:48
I don't see why that would be the case. Just because we can't identify the father doesn't mean that it wasn't a well known fact back then.

Phoenix
30-10-19, 08:33
Yes, but Ancestry might work on the basis that the mother is assumed to be correct, but you need a sibling on the father's side to prove his DNA.

kiterunner
30-10-19, 09:47
I don't think Ancestry is that clever.

Mary from Italy
31-10-19, 02:13
Is anyone else having trouble with Thrulines? It stopped working for me a couple of days ago, and I can't find any way of getting it back.

maggie_4_7
31-10-19, 06:42
Is anyone else having trouble with Thrulines? It stopped working for me a couple of days ago, and I can't find any way of getting it back.

It didn't work yesterday for me but it is back today.

Phoenix
31-10-19, 07:19
It seems to have been all over the place for the last couple of weeks. I lost it for the trees I manage, and it was corrupted for my own tree. Clearly, something is going on behind the scenes, as I have had no new matches for the better part of a week.

kiterunner
31-10-19, 07:39
I have seen posts on Facebook where people say that Ancestry did an update to family trees to allow more options for relationships between couples and that it changed some to "Unknown" which caused problems with Thrulines.

Mary from Italy
31-10-19, 14:12
Still not back here, which is a pity, because I've actually been finding it very useful. I didn't expect much of it, but some of the suggestions it's given have enabled me to break down a longstanding brick wall, and a couple of others also look promising.

maggie_4_7
31-10-19, 14:17
I have seen posts on Facebook where people say that Ancestry did an update to family trees to allow more options for relationships between couples and that it changed some to "Unknown" which caused problems with Thrulines.

That is what must have happened to my tree before, a few weeks ago I was finding children with mother Unknown on parts of my tree but the mother remained the spouse of the father and it really confused me and couldn't understand how it happened.