PDA

View Full Version : Updates to DNA 21st October

maggie_4_7
19-10-19, 11:34
Looks like they can break down North West Europe a bit more and filter out Portugal from the mediterranean countries.

https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2019/10/17/check-your-ancestrydna-results-next-week-were-adding-new-portuguese-and-scandinavian-communities-empowering-you-to-discover-even-more-about-your-family-history-through-dna/

kiterunner
19-10-19, 11:44
That's good, Maggie. I'm hoping there will be lots of updates coming up on all the sites this week because of Rootstech in London - they seem to save things up and then release them when there is a Rootstech. Personally my top wish is for MyHeritage to add the X chromosome to their chromosome browser.

ElizabethHerts
19-10-19, 12:36
I'll know they've got it right when they acknowledge that I am descended from people predominantly from southern England. At present most of the emphasis is on Scotland and Yorkshire!

Phoenix
19-10-19, 15:35
Lol, Elizabeth!

Although my illegitimate gg grandfather was allegedly the son of a Spanish gipsy (this was not what his Mum said) all the rest of Granny's ancestors came from Norfolk and neighbouring counties back as far as I can trace them. But not according to my DNA.

And it's downright cruel to offer me 3% French ancestry without providing reasons.

maggie_4_7
21-10-19, 09:53
It has been updated mine has changed which is what I expected originally some Scandinavian!

Ireland & Scotland 48%
* Scottish Central Lowlands

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 45%
* Scottish Lowlands, Northern England & Northern Ireland

Norway 7%

kiterunner
21-10-19, 10:22
Mine is now: 81% England, Wales & Northwestern Europe; 15% European Jewish; 4% Ireland & Scotland. But my Dad has 24% European Jewish and 11% Germanic Europe in his, and close relatives on my mother's side haven't got any Jewish, so I'm not sure it's any more accurate than it was before.

maggie_4_7
21-10-19, 10:35
Mine is now: 81% England, Wales & Northwestern Europe; 15% European Jewish; 4% Ireland & Scotland. But my Dad has 24% European Jewish and 11% Germanic Europe in his, and close relatives on my mother's side haven't got any Jewish, so I'm not sure it's any more accurate than it was before.

No I expect not, in some respects the ethnicity aspect of DNA is just an added product for Ancestry and probably should not be taken too literally, it wasn't part of my reasons to take a DNA test but it does interest me.

I do worry about some people though, because I do read posts, not on here, but in the Ancestry community who get quite irate at their ethnicity results if they are not what they are expecting or if they are slightly different to a close family member.

ElizabethHerts
21-10-19, 12:09
Mine:

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 100%

Yorkshire & East Midlands, England
West Yorkshire & Southern North Yorkshire
Additional Communities
North East Scotland & the Northern Isles
From your regions: England, Wales & Northwestern Europe
Banff & Buchan
Moray & Gordon

No mention of Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, Surrey, Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire etc!

Kit
21-10-19, 12:13
It's weird. Dad has gone from 80% England etc and 11% Ireland and Scotland to 73% and 13% and 5% Sweden. The rest hasn't changed.

I have no idea where the Swedish part comes into it.

I wish the science was exact enough to give an estimate of what generation they came from.

maggie_4_7
21-10-19, 13:08
Lol, Elizabeth!

Although my illegitimate gg grandfather was allegedly the son of a Spanish gipsy (this was not what his Mum said) all the rest of Granny's ancestors came from Norfolk and neighbouring counties back as far as I can trace them. But not according to my DNA.

And it's downright cruel to offer me 3% French ancestry without providing reasons.

:D

I know you know this but Protestant refugees from Flanders and Spanish Netherlands first settled in Norfolk, Norwich to be precise in 1565 they were called the Elizabethan Strangers :D and the Huguenots in 1680s.

Of course whether anyone would still be able to determine their DNA I don't know.

Phoenix
21-10-19, 14:36
:D

I know you know this but Protestant refugees from Flanders and Spanish Netherlands first settled in Norfolk, Norwich to be precise in 1565 they were called the Elizabethan Strangers :D and the Huguenots in 1680s.

Of course whether anyone would still be able to determine their DNA I don't know.

Well, they have all changed flags now, and become Norweigan! My aunt has gained some Germanic heritage (which neither sib's child nor I have inherited) while my cousin, who genuinely should have some, is now pure UK.

I was quite happy with a dash of French Ancestry - as Maggie says, there was a fair bit of channel hopping, with doubtless the odd Hanseatic League merchant settling in Norwich. My Bangays are, in some early records, spelled Banget, while Skillings seems a commoner surname in the Netherlands. Meanwhile, it is suggested that my Daglas roots were actually Scottish.

ElizabethHerts
21-10-19, 14:40
Mine:

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 100%

Yorkshire & East Midlands, England
West Yorkshire & Southern North Yorkshire
Additional Communities
North East Scotland & the Northern Isles
From your regions: England, Wales & Northwestern Europe
Banff & Buchan
Moray & Gordon

No mention of Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, Surrey, Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire etc!

The map does highlight the northern part of Brittany (and no other part of France), so this is probably a nod to my Cornish heritage.

Sue from Southend
21-10-19, 15:38
Well they have located my small amount of Irish heritage (a couple of 5xgt grandfathers) but still no French DNA that I had expected due to a couple of Huguenot lines... Sister has gained another 1% of Jewishness.

JBee
21-10-19, 15:40
My sons DNA has gone from 79% Scots/Irish (inline with my research) to 61% which doesn't fit in with my research.

maggie_4_7
22-10-19, 16:44
Well, they have all changed flags now, and become Norweigan! My aunt has gained some Germanic heritage (which neither sib's child nor I have inherited) while my cousin, who genuinely should have some, is now pure UK.

I was quite happy with a dash of French Ancestry - as Maggie says, there was a fair bit of channel hopping, with doubtless the odd Hanseatic League merchant settling in Norwich. My Bangays are, in some early records, spelled Banget, while Skillings seems a commoner surname in the Netherlands. Meanwhile, it is suggested that my Daglas roots were actually Scottish.

I would expect anyone with ancestors along the east coast from Scotland to maybe Harwich, Essex to have some Scandinavian, Flanders and the Netherlands in there. More inland not so much although London is a different case.

Looking at my 4th cousins and closer DNA matches the most descendents with the new Norway DNA seems to be my English side which surprised me to be honest, a few on the Scottish side but I haven't really done a good check to make a judgement.

Obviously I don't put too much store by it but it is interesting.