PDA

View Full Version : Anybody visiting Derby RO please?

chrissiebee
13-01-10, 16:01
Hi Folks,

I know the weather is treacherous at present, but would any kind soul be visiting the Derby RO in the near future please?

I have a Henry Hitchcock, believed to be born in Ockbrook, Derbyshire circa 1837. There is no sign of him born in that year (the 1st two quarters unavailable on any BMD lists). Somebody many moons ago looked at the birth register, but couldn't find any reference to him.

I wondered if anybody is perhaps thinking of visiting the RO that they could look for the baptism of dear Henry Hitchcock. I believe his parents were James Hitchcock and Mary Stevens, but gleaned that from the IGI and as we all know that record site is not infallible LOL!

Many thanks,

Chris

Merry
13-01-10, 16:59
There is no sign of him born in that year (the 1st two quarters unavailable on any BMD lists).

That's because civil reg didn't begin until 1st July 1837!

kiterunner
13-01-10, 17:07
He's 4 on the 1841 census, so born before the start of civil registration.

Margaret in Burton
13-01-10, 17:53
Derby record office is at Matlock, bit too far away for me. I can manage Derby Local Studies when the weather is better. They do hold some parish registers there on film. Maybe you could phone or email and enquire if they have them?

25b Irongate, Derby DE1 3GL
01332 255393
[email protected]

Margaret in Burton
13-01-10, 17:57
Hi Folks,

I know the weather is treacherous at present, but would any kind soul be visiting the Derby RO in the near future please?

I have a Henry Hitchcock, believed to be born in Ockbrook, Derbyshire circa 1837. There is no sign of him born in that year (the 1st two quarters unavailable on any BMD lists). Somebody many moons ago looked at the birth register, but couldn't find any reference to him.

I wondered if anybody is perhaps thinking of visiting the RO that they could look for the baptism of dear Henry Hitchcock. I believe his parents were James Hitchcock and Mary Stevens, but gleaned that from the IGI and as we all know that record site is not infallible LOL!

Many thanks,

Chris

I can't find that on the IGI?

chrissiebee
14-01-10, 10:52
That's because civil reg didn't begin until 1st July 1837!

Umm! Yes, of course - silly me.................!

Chris

chrissiebee
14-01-10, 11:08
Derby record office is at Matlock, bit too far away for me. I can manage Derby Local Studies when the weather is better. They do hold some parish registers there on film. Maybe you could phone or email and enquire if they have them?

25b Irongate, Derby DE1 3GL
01332 255393
[email protected]

I tried emailing them, but my messages just won't get through for some reason. I think I shall just get on the blower - or send up a carrier pigeon perhaps LOL! Many thanks for your help.

Chris

Gert in Oz
14-01-10, 12:45
Just looked up the Derby RO site and this is what they hold for Ockbrook, first set of figures are original registers, second set are on microfilm

OCKBROOK, All Saints (D2000) bp 1643-1980 bp 1643-1961
Includes Borrowash.

If you get no joy from the local studies library, try them, they always answer my queries the next day.

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure/record_office/

chrissiebee
14-01-10, 15:29
Just looked up the Derby RO site and this is what they hold for Ockbrook, first set of figures are original registers, second set are on microfilm

Includes Borrowash.

If you get no joy from the local studies library, try them, they always answer my queries the next day.

I have just tried that, Sylvia, but have had the same problem that I had with the website that Marg gave me. It must be my computer which won't allow these emails for some unknown reason? I am a complete technophobe with these gizmos, but both times I tried emailing via Outlook Express and the other one (?) I got the same response. I think I shall just phone them, and hopefully have more joy!

Having looked at the PDF form for a researcher at the Leisure/Record Office and nearly had a heart attack when it was quoted at £30 per half hour! I think not..................

Many thanks anyway,

Chris

chrissiebee
15-01-10, 09:53

Includes Borrowash.

I have just typed out a letter to the Derbyshire RO and am sending it 'snail-mail' - will let everyone know if I get a result!

Many thanks - Chris

chrissiebee
21-01-10, 12:05
Just received a letter from the Duty Archivist at the Derby RO Office, enclosing a register search form and informing me that a basic search fee would be £12-50 per half hour! Much as I would love to confirm Henry Hitchcock's baptism, that fee is a little steep methinks!

She was very informative and said that in addition to the Anglican registers the RO also hold a collection of non-conformist registers, including birth/baptism/death/burial records in Ockbrook. What was also very interesting is that apparently many folk worshipped at the con-conformist establishments (i.e. the Movarian Congregational Church), but still returned to the Anglican Church for family ceremonies. Having been to Ockbrook a few years ago, it is a fascinating village, completely unspoilt and very much the Movarian influence therein.

Anybody got the parish records for Ockbrook, pretty please............?

Chris

Margaret in Burton
21-01-10, 13:58
Chrissie

Did you enquire if they hold the records at the Local Studies Library in Derby as well?

Matlock is too far for me but I could manage Derby.

chrissiebee
21-01-10, 16:16
Chrissie

Did you enquire if they hold the records at the Local Studies Library in Derby as well?

Matlock is too far for me but I could manage Derby.

Oops! Sorry about that, Marg. Didn't think about that, to be honest! I shall perhaps give them a bell tomorrow to see what they do hold at Derby Local Studies Library. I would dearly love to have a rootle around myself, but sadly it's a bit more thana tuppenny bus ride from Norfolk!

Many thanks anyway for your interest,

Chris

Margaret in Burton
21-01-10, 17:08
Well if they are in Derby then I am willing to look for you. More than a tuppenny bus ride but not much more and I can combine it with a shopping trip. Derby is only 10 miles from me.

Mary from Italy
21-01-10, 17:58
Ockbrook marriages are online, but not baptisms, as far as I know.

chrissiebee
22-01-10, 09:52
Ockbrook marriages are online, but not baptisms, as far as I know.

Which site is that on please, Mary?

Chris

Mary from Italy
23-01-10, 06:44
The Phillimore's marriage index has been scanned:

http://www.archive.org/details/derbyshireparish01phil

but they only go up to 1812.

chrissiebee
23-01-10, 15:56
The Phillimore's marriage index has been scanned:

http://www.archive.org/details/derbyshireparish01phil

but they only go up to 1812.

Very many thans for that, Mary - I'll give it a shot!

Chris

chrissiebee
23-01-10, 16:26
Very many thans for that, Mary - I'll give it a shot!

Chris

That's fantastic, Mary - that will keep me happy for a while! Chris