PDA

View Full Version : The children of Mary Jane

Phoenix
12-01-10, 17:56
Mary Jane Hawkins was in a workhouse in Grays, Essex in 1911.

Family legend - from her daughter Mabel - was that she turned up at her mother in law's house with Mabel and her two small brothers in tow, saying she couldn't cope.

Mabel (born Grays 1901) was brought up by her grandparents in Portsmouth, as borne out by the 1911 census.

Mabel's father was also in Portsmouth, with her brother Walter James (born Grays 1902).

Charles Riley Hawkins b & d 1906 is almost certainly a baby brother who died.

So where was the other child?

There is a Sidney Charles R Hawkins b 1908 in Orsett RD
There is a 2 yr old Sidney Hawkins in hospital in Portsmouth, born Gravesend.

Do you reckon this could be the same child, Grays misheard or transcribed as Gravesend?

Merry
12-01-10, 18:10
Have you looked to see if a child was registered in Gravesend who would then be the census boy? (have to go to brownies now!)

Phoenix
12-01-10, 18:15
I can't find anyone suitable, Merry.

And there's a Sydney C Hawkins who married in Portsmouth in the 1930s, feasibly the right man.

kiterunner
12-01-10, 18:29
Certainly looks as though it could be him. I suppose you would have to get the birth certificate or find a baptism for him to be sure. Oh, have you found a death for him? If so, then I don't suppose it tells you what the R stood for, does it? If it was Riley then it would be very likely indeed. (Can't get ancestry to load on the laptop at the moment to check.)

Phoenix
13-01-10, 17:12
I'll have to wait till I get to Kew to have a look on Ancestry there, Kite.

I have just learnt from my aunt that Mabel married and had two sons. I didn't know this because my Dad insisted on calling her Mabel Hawkins all his life.

Family joke was that she should have named one of them after her brother Walter.....

She married a Frederick Mellon:rolleyes:

kiterunner
13-01-10, 19:07
Oh dear, I'm on the laptop again. I'll try and remember to look for his death when I'm on the main computer later!

kiterunner
13-01-10, 21:52
Had a look, but I can't see a death for him with his full name.

Phoenix
14-01-10, 09:01
Thanks for looking, Kite. It's quite feasible, since my family didn't really know anything about Mabel's brothers, that they emigrated.

kiterunner
14-01-10, 09:23
Or his death may have been registered without one or both of his middle names.

Phoenix
23-05-12, 15:04
Thank you, Kite and Merry!

The National Probate Calendar has proved that Charles and Sidney were brothers and my rellies.