PDA

View Full Version : How does this work then?

Merry
28-06-19, 21:27
OH has had a DNA test done and so has his daughter.

OH has a DNA match with a person and these are the details given by Ancestry:

Possible range: 4th - 6th cousins
Confidence: Very High
Shared DNA: 59 cM across 5 segments

This is the result for his daughter with the same person:

Possible range: 3rd - 4th cousins
Confidence: Extremely High
Shared DNA: 93 cM across 6 segments

So, she is more related to this other guy than her father is??

*scratches head*

kiterunner
28-06-19, 21:49
Could be that she is related to that person on both sides? Or it is just a statistical error.

Merry
28-06-19, 22:49
I think it's very unlikely there's two connections (and OH would be horrified at the thought lol).

Also, if there was a relationship on both sides, wouldn't there be a likelihood of there being other people who would show a link in a similar way? I can't see any others.

A statistical error is boring though! lol

NickiP
28-06-19, 23:32
I've a few similar, although lower amounts, with my father's results. Been scratching my head a little, especially when there is only a single segment match and my cM is higher.

Kit
29-06-19, 03:27
have a look at the shared matches for both OH and his daughter and see if that helps.

From what I understand the only way to know for sure what is happening is to upload the data to another website that lets you look at the actual segments and hope that match is also there.

There are about 3 different types of DNA matches, firstly a match as you are actually related, the other 2 confuse me but are basically flukes and you aren't related at all. However ancestry apparently cuts the segments off so it might just be that OHs were chopped differently to his daughter. I really don't understand it all but she might have one or more segments that aren't a relationship and the others were cropped too much for OH.

There is a FB group that is very knowledgable but they are mainly US people (if that is an issue for you) and they will recommend using GEDMatch to look at each segment to work it out for sure.

Merry
29-06-19, 07:08
Thank you all.

Toni, I will suggest he has a go at uploading the two sets of results to GEDMatch and see what happens. I will report back!

Merry
29-06-19, 08:09
Another thing I've just noticed - Both our children (ie half siblings of OH's daughter in post #1) have done DNA tests, but neither of them have this man (with the details in post #1 above) in their list of matches. Odd?

kiterunner
29-06-19, 09:00
Make sure to read all the privacy info about GEDMatch first!
I don't think it's unusual for the (other) children not to have inherited that amount of shared DNA.

maggie_4_7
29-06-19, 10:38
OH has had a DNA test done and so has his daughter.

OH has a DNA match with a person and these are the details given by Ancestry:

Possible range: 4th - 6th cousins
Confidence: Very High
Shared DNA: 59 cM across 5 segments

This is the result for his daughter with the same person:

Possible range: 3rd - 4th cousins
Confidence: Extremely High
Shared DNA: 93 cM across 6 segments

So, she is more related to this other guy than her father is??

*scratches head*

That is curious I would expect similar to OH or less because otherwise to me it looks like it has jumped a generation. Although it isn't a great difference perhaps the methodology has gone a bit awry.

kiterunner
29-06-19, 12:24
I think it's very unlikely there's two connections (and OH would be horrified at the thought lol).

Also, if there was a relationship on both sides, wouldn't there be a likelihood of there being other people who would show a link in a similar way? I can't see any others.

Not necessarily, because it wouldn't mean that your OH and his ex are related to each other, just that someone is distantly related to both of them.

NickiP
29-06-19, 13:01
I've been scratching my head since Dad's results appeared Monday about how I could match the daughter and granddaughter of someone who Dad also matches, he also has a match with someone else descended from an earlier generation which I do not. Dad's match with the mother was 29cM over 3 segments and 20cM over 2 segments for the daughter, I only show 8cM over 1 segment with the daughter on Ancestry. Just logged into Gedmatch for the first time in a couple of months to find I do match the mother, 11cM, and the daughter 10.9cM. I understand why the amounts are different betwen the two sites but I can't see why I wouldn't match the mother on Ancestry. I've also noticed, but it could just be a delay in some of Dad's matches appearing, that he's not matching some I have on confirmed lines (but matches others from the same line who are managed by my matches) and there is also the anomaly that my matches with some are higher than Dad's, when in fact you would expect mine to be lower. I'm wondering if Ancestry have changed recently the way they are doing the matching and its throwing some strange results. That said, the match on Gedmatch is welcome as it looks like finally a 20 year brickwall has fallen.

Merry
29-06-19, 13:24
Nicki, great news about your brick wall!

Make sure to read all the privacy info about GEDMatch first!

Thanks, will do.

That is curious I would expect similar to OH or less because otherwise to me it looks like it has jumped a generation. Although it isn't a great difference perhaps the methodology has gone a bit awry.

lol Maybe!

Not necessarily, because it wouldn't mean that your OH and his ex are related to each other, just that someone is distantly related to both of them.

Yes, very good point. I should have thought of that!