PDA

View Full Version : Sorting DNA matches by region

Phoenix
20-06-19, 11:31
Can this be done under beta matches?

I'm checking my distant matches as fast as I can, before I lose the facility to access them.

I should not need to look at regional matches as there aren't very many - only, say, a thousand in each category.

But I cannot see how to access all of them under the beta matches. Help!

Mary from Italy
20-06-19, 12:49
Can you explain why you don't think distant matches will show up in the beta system?

kiterunner
20-06-19, 13:28
There doesn't seem to be a way to select by region in the new system as far as I can see. But I didn't know that you could do it under the old system till just now. I don't think I had any useful regions till yesterday, though.

Phoenix
20-06-19, 13:33
They show up, but are virtually impossible to access. It takes me five minutes to scroll down to matches of 10cM. If I look at one of those matches and eliminate it, I am bounced back to the start of the list.

Currently, I can eliminate probably 100 unlikely matches in an hour. Unless they introduce pagination and allow you to keep your place, you have to scroll past all the known matches each time you want to investigate a distant match.

Under the new system, I simply won't spot the distant matches, particularly if there are spelling variants in the name.

Again, under the new system, a lot of the parishes I am interested in are simply not listed by Ancestry, so place name searches are pretty useless.

kiterunner
20-06-19, 13:33
Okay, you can do it from within the Ancestry DNA app, something like Regions - Community - Matches.

Phoenix
20-06-19, 13:34
There doesn't seem to be a way to select by region in the new system as far as I can see. But I didn't know that you could do it under the old system till just now. I don't think I had any useful regions till yesterday, though.

I've been using the facility for ages, and it switched between searches.

kiterunner
20-06-19, 13:35
They show up, but are virtually impossible to access. It takes me five minutes to scroll down to matches of 10cM. If I look at one of those matches and eliminate it, I am bounced back to the start of the list.

Currently, I can eliminate probably 100 unlikely matches in an hour. Unless they introduce pagination and allow you to keep your place, you have to scroll past all the known matches each time you want to investigate a distant match.

Under the new system, I simply won't spot the distant matches, particularly if there are spelling variants in the name.

Again, under the new system, a lot of the parishes I am interested in are simply not listed by Ancestry, so place name searches are pretty useless.

But can't you set your filter so it only shows you matches that you haven't viewed before? (Or have they all been set to "viewed" because you used a browser extension to process them?)

kiterunner
20-06-19, 13:36
Also, if you have a list of matches and you want to view one but not lose your place, right-click on the match that you want to view and select open in new window or open in new tab.

Phoenix
20-06-19, 13:38
app?

If you just have desktop, how does that work?

kiterunner
20-06-19, 13:45
Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, they haven't produced an app for PC's yet. :(

Phoenix
20-06-19, 13:45
But can't you set your filter so it only shows you matches that you haven't viewed before? (Or have they all been set to "viewed" because you used a browser extension to process them?)

That's only 420 pages. Scrolling down will still take five minutes to get to about 8cm. I seem to have inherited only a small amount of DNA from my Norfolk granny, so answers will mainly lie in the 6-10cM range. I will try the tip about keeping the page, but I get bounced out of Ancestry if I have too many windows open.

kiterunner
20-06-19, 13:55
Okay, I went on the ancestry.com site (on the PC) and managed to get to my matches within a region by clicking on "DNA Story". Will try to do it again and explain how! And see if I can do it on the UK site as well...

Edit - oh no, it only seems to show me a few of them that way, "featured matches".

Kit
22-06-19, 09:38

I've only known of the app, which I haven't used much. Is there anyway on the PC?

Kit
22-06-19, 10:07
We can search match trees for surname or birth location but I've never found them to be much use

kiterunner
22-06-19, 11:17
I've only known of the app, which I haven't used much. Is there anyway on the PC?

Ancestry have said on Facebook that there is no way to do it on a PC now.

Kit
23-06-19, 05:04
Thanks Kate

kiterunner
23-06-19, 18:36
But they have added that it is a temporary problem and they will be fixing it.

Kit
26-06-19, 06:18
They say there are a lot of changes coming soon. Maybe that will be one of them? Fingers crossed