So I paid £29 to MyHeritage and my ethnicity results from them are:-

Europe: - 100.0%

North and West Europe - 98.4%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh - 72.9%
Scandinavian - 23.2%
Finnish - 2.3%
East Europe - 1.6%
Baltic - 1.6%

So they use a different methodology to Ancestry? Do they not calculate English regions? It is more interesting obviously :)

I wanted to mostly check a lot of matches on there.

kiterunner
05-06-19, 15:33
Mine has:
North and West Europe 75.4%
broken down into English 67.8%, Finnish 3.9%, Scandinavian 3.7%
South Europe 15.3% (all Italian)
Ashkenazi Jewish 9.3%.

So they do calculate English too.

And yes, they use a different system from Ancestry. Each company has its own set of "reference" data and its own way of breaking down into regions etc.

I don't think My Heritage is very accurate.

As for matches on My Heritage, hopefully you have lots of matches on there, and you also get the chromosome browser which can be useful.

maggie_4_7
05-06-19, 15:44
Mine has:
North and West Europe 75.4%
broken down into English 67.8%, Finnish 3.9%, Scandinavian 3.7%
South Europe 15.3% (all Italian)
Ashkenazi Jewish 9.3%.

So they do calculate English too.

And yes, they use a different system from Ancestry. Each company has its own set of "reference" data and its own way of breaking down into regions etc.

I don't think My Heritage is very accurate.

As for matches on My Heritage, hopefully you have lots of matches on there, and you also get the chromosome browser which can be useful.

BIB

Yes that is really why I paid to be honest.

But on the ethnicity it has only noted Irish, Scottish, and Welsh - 72.9%.

kiterunner
05-06-19, 15:49
Oh, and they also have an autoclustering tool. It was no use to me because it just put a load of Jewish matches into one big cluster, but maybe it will come up with something better for you!

maggie_4_7
05-06-19, 16:00
Oh, and they also have an autoclustering tool. It was no use to me because it just put a load of Jewish matches into one big cluster, but maybe it will come up with something better for you!

Yes I am using the autocluster tool.

I had a lot of Swedish/Scandinavian DNA matches on MyHeritage which is what I expected from the off but didn't get on Ancestry so I am checking those out.

NickiP
08-06-19, 16:54
So I paid £29 to MyHeritage and my ethnicity results from them are:-

Europe: - 100.0%

North and West Europe - 98.4%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh - 72.9%
Scandinavian - 23.2%
Finnish - 2.3%
East Europe - 1.6%
Baltic - 1.6%

So they use a different methodology to Ancestry? Do they not calculate English regions? It is more interesting obviously :)

I wanted to mostly check a lot of matches on there.

Well I got charged £34 so a bit miffed if they're now charging only £29 a couple of months later.:(

As to the ethnicity results, they list me as being 0% English when there is absolutely no chance of that so I would suggest their pool used for ethnicity isn't very wide. If it wasn't for some of the matches on there, I'd have thought they were somebody else's. That said I do get a lot of Scandinavian matches and they said I had some Finnish in me which was news, but subsequently got a match on Ancestry whose ancestors are 100% Swedish so there is definitely some in my ancestors somewhere, just not entirely sure which side.

maggie_4_7
08-06-19, 17:34
Well I got charged £34 so a bit miffed if they're now charging only £29 a couple of months later.:(

As to the ethnicity results, they list me as being 0% English when there is absolutely no chance of that so I would suggest their pool used for ethnicity isn't very wide. If it wasn't for some of the matches on there, I'd have thought they were somebody else's. That said I do get a lot of Scandinavian matches and they said I had some Finnish in me which was news, but subsequently got a match on Ancestry whose ancestors are 100% Swedish so there is definitely some in my ancestors somewhere, just not entirely sure which side.

It was £34.80 including VAT.

NickiP
08-06-19, 18:19
It was £34.80 including VAT.

OK I feel better as that's what I paid.:D