PDA

View Full Version : addresses on FTM

Rosie Knees
11-01-10, 19:12
before I get in a right muddle I need to sort something out.

I have been putting some facts in FTM (namely addresses at census). I looked on the report and realise that for some people I have previously put the fact as residence but tonight I have been putting the fact as census. arrgghh. Obviously I will have to change some to be consistant.

Who puts what? Do you put 'census' as your fact or 'residence'?

lozaras
11-01-10, 19:19
I put 'Residence' and then choose the census date as source reference with the census ref N° as further detail (I think they call it citation).

I didn't do that at the beginning and it took me about 3 months to get my tree consistant with the source references for the facts.

It really is worth doing though - I can cross reference my files and find the right saved census sheet on my pc to back up any fact on the tree.

Margaret in Burton
11-01-10, 19:24
I just put the place where they lived as well as the census ref in the notes section.

Rosie Knees
11-01-10, 19:26
that's a good idea Sarah.

Sadly some of my census images haven't got the references on as I used to cut off as much black as possible to save ink lol. Another task to re-search for them.

Margaret in Burton
11-01-10, 19:36
I don't save the actual census image or a print out. I just note the reference number.

Joan of Archives
11-01-10, 19:43
I don't save the actual census image or a print out. I just note the reference number.

What happens if you stop renewing your sub though? :confused:

Margaret in Burton
11-01-10, 20:06
What happens if you stop renewing your sub though? :confused:

I'll only do that if I get bored with doing my tree and then it won't matter.

Anyway, that ref can still be looked up on fiche or film at a library or County Record Office. I can't be doing with loads of printouts. I used to but ended up chucking them out. I never looked at them.

lozaras
12-01-10, 06:25
I don't print them out either. I've got a file on the pc that's full of the census sheet copies all saved under their RG / HO number.
*polishes halo* ;)

Merry
12-01-10, 08:34
I don't print them out, but I can view each relevant page on my family history program. Have about 1300 pages.

Lindsay
12-01-10, 19:23
Originally I put the address as a residence fact but rejigged everything when I got FTM2010 and moved it to the 'place' section of the census fact (if you see what I mean)

lozaras
14-01-10, 18:19
I don't print them out, but I can view each relevant page on my family history program. Have about 1300 pages.

ooo - How did you do that Merry? Which programme do you use?

Merry
14-01-10, 20:05
I use Brother's Keeper. It's probably very dated now as I've been using it for as long as I've had access to a pc which is probably about ten years.

Oh and the pages are stored on my hard drive!

Margaret in Burton
14-01-10, 21:11
I use Brother's Keeper. It's probably very dated now as I've been using it for as long as I've had access to a pc which is probably about ten years.

Oh and the pages are stored on my hard drive!

Hope you have it backed up elsewhere. :eek::eek:

borobabs
14-01-10, 21:13
Just been looking on google to see what it was and all I can see is download it here and there ;;well how would you know if you where using the right site or not ??

Merry
14-01-10, 21:20
Hope you have it backed up elsewhere. :eek::eek:

Indeed! As well as having it backed up at home we also have a copy (not that recent, admittedly) in our neighbour's filing cabinet!

borobabs
14-01-10, 21:31
So where did you download it from Merry ???

Merry
15-01-10, 06:07
Can't remember that far back, Babs!

Here's it's website though (it says you can download for free to try):

http://www.bkwin.org/index.html

It's still run by one man - John Steed (which always makes me think of The Avengers!) - who you can contact direct if you have a problem or you can make suggestions to for the next upgrade. Once you have bought in, most upgrades are free of charge.

The main disadvantage with BK (imho) is that the charts it can produce are a bit limited, but tht's not something I want to do!

borobabs
15-01-10, 11:28
Thanks Merry will have a look at that , is yours the paid bersion or the free one ;;??

Merry
15-01-10, 11:34
The paid one.

I would guess that those of you who use things like FTM would find BK very dated, but I like what I'm used to and it does almost everything I need it to.

borobabs
15-01-10, 11:43
Yes but what I find Merry is that different programs do some things better than others I always try to test them to see ;;