PDA

View Full Version : DNA results are in...

Tom Tom
28-05-19, 17:08
I got my Grandma to have her DNA done in the hope it might throw up something about her army ancestors. I wasn't expecting the results for at least another 4 weeks, they've taken just over two weeks which is great.

GG Grandmother was born in India - to army parents, and her mother was born in the West Indies, but I have never been able to trace her parents and a small part of me has always wondered if her mother was of African descent.

The DNA results have come back as:
91% England, Wales and NW Europe.
8% Scotland and Ireland
1% Benin and Togo

Ancestry has 389 4th cousins or closer.

Question 1: I know that my Grandma's Great Grandfather was Scottish and his Mother's side were Irish. Would this account for all the 8%?

Question 2: Benin and Togo are Western Africa. 1% seems so small. Is there any relevance to it? Is there any way to identify which, if any, of the matches ancestry has thrown up link with this particular strand of DNA?

Question 3 : I have managed to link the DNA to my ancestry tree. Should I be doing anything else with it?

kiterunner
28-05-19, 17:49
1. Yes, the 8% could all be from one great-grandparent.
2. I don't think there is a quick way of doing this but you could look through the DNA matches to see who else has Benin and Togo.
3. You can download the raw DNA data and upload it to other sites if you want to - and if your Grandma is ok with it, of course.

maggie_4_7
28-05-19, 17:50
Not sure how relevant it is but 1% Benin and Togo is very interesting.

As Kiterunner has said you should look at any matches ethnicity to see who has any Benin and Togo DNA.

The answer may lay in the slave trade or may not who knows but it is interesting.

https://www.ancestry.com/dna/ethnicity/benin-togo

Tom Tom
28-05-19, 22:23
Thanks both.
I have had a look and found a match who also had 1% Benin and Togo, but then the shared matches that we both had did not have the 1%.

I don't really know how DNA works particularly, so shall have to do a lot of reading up.

Tom Tom
29-05-19, 08:55
Another question:

When I am looking at the matches, I can see if they have a tree and how many people are in it. My Grandma doesn't have a tree on her own account, but I am manager of her DNA and I have attached the record to her in my own tree. Will people matching with her see the number of people in my tree? Or will they see "No tree"?

Thanks!

kiterunner
29-05-19, 09:32
They will see "managed by..." and the number of people in your tree.

kiterunner
03-06-19, 14:15
Back to question 2 - I saw a post on Facebook today which said that the Ancestry DNA app can show you which of your matches share a particular ethnicity with you. I've just installed the app and tried it out and it does do that. You have to tap on "matches" at the bottom, then find "Your Groups" then "Your Ethnicity Groups" and then find the particular one you want to look at, tap on it, and it will list those of your matches who also have that ethnicity in their estimate.

I assume there is a way of viewing other DNA tests that you manage, rather than your own, in the app but this is the first time I've tried it, so not very familiar with it.

Kit
11-06-19, 04:54
Up the top of the app it has your name and a down arrow. If you click on that arrow you can see any other tests you have access to.

Kit
11-06-19, 04:57
I saw a post on Facebook today which said that the Ancestry DNA app can show you which of your matches share a particular ethnicity with you.

I've just downloaded the match and this is so cool. Can we do this on our computer or is it just an app function? I've not noticed it online before.

So helpful with Dad's Indian lines.

maggie_4_7
11-06-19, 08:22
I've just downloaded the match and this is so cool. Can we do this on our computer or is it just an app function? I've not noticed it online before.

So helpful with Dad's Indian lines.

I don't think it is available for desktop which seems a bit silly.

I haven't used it because of that.

Kit
11-06-19, 08:39
No, I've had another look thinking I'd missed something but it's not there. Shame as someone I'd spent a while looking at yesterday without result is high on a list and it would help me target my searching. A bit annoying to have to have my phone out to use the computer.

Tom Tom
11-06-19, 22:59
Thanks Kate.
I've just had a look and get the message that this filter doesn't return any matches, so assume no one on there is related to that line. Hmmm. Food for thought.

Although, I get that same message on England and Ireland too.

kiterunner
11-06-19, 23:56
There's a message on ancestry's website at the moment saying people may be experiencing problems which they are working on fixing, so maybe that applies to the app too.

maggie_4_7
12-06-19, 07:52
I have never been able to make it work at all.