PDA

View Full Version : Grave ownership

JayG
14-05-19, 15:33
In the 1950's my great great uncle purchased 6 adjoining grave plots (I have the original papework).

Buried in them are

1 himself
2 his sister and brother in law (my great grandparents)
3 his brother and sister in law
4 his nephew and their wife
5 his nephew
6 his niece (my grandmother)

Great great uncle never married and had no children.

Does the ownership of the plots transfer to anyone?

JayG
14-05-19, 15:38
I've posted this in the wrong section, please can it be moved.

Thanks

kiterunner
14-05-19, 16:21
I've moved it to "Family History General Discussion".

JayG
14-05-19, 16:33
Thanks Kate

Kit
15-05-19, 01:46
I don't know if it passes but you might be able to claim it.

I know of someone who purchased 2 or 3 adjoining plots but there are no records of a burial in one. A relative has quizzed the cemetery to make sure it is empty and the cemetery indicated the relative could sell the grave if they wished, although I think all relatives of that same level of closeness could claim a share of the sale. Proof of descent or next of kin would probably be needed first though.

Olde Crone
17-05-19, 16:08
It should say on the original paperwork. My father's grave is only leased, as it were! It reverts to the local authority after 30 years. My grandparents' grave is owned in perpetuity by their heirs and successors, which is me at the moment!

OC

JayG
18-05-19, 15:02
I'll have to check the deed but I don't think a time was specified.

Olde Crone
18-05-19, 16:38
If no end date then I would assume it is outright possession in perpetuity.

OC

JayG
18-06-19, 09:31
Having finally managed to find the original paperwork for the graves they were bought in perpetuity. I've spoken to the council and found out what we need to do to get ownership transferred. This process is going to be slightly more complicated than it would had this been sorted out when the original owner died in 1967!

JBee
18-06-19, 10:11
OC

That seems a very short time for a grave - I think my parents is 75 years after the final burial.

Olde Crone
18-06-19, 11:20
JBee

It's a local authority graveyard, don't know if that makes a difference. The 30 years lease runs from the date of burial but my father bought the plot 20 or more years before he died.

OC

Anstey Nomad
18-06-19, 19:11
When my mother died in 2016, I ended up claiming ownership of a grave that was purchased in the 1870s by my great great grandmother, who died intestate in 1929!

It’s done now and there is room for me when the time comes.

Phoenix
18-06-19, 19:53
I think our council cremation plots are 25 years. It's on the reasonable basis that people dont tend the graves/move away and in a generation time, the grandchildren are unlikely to know or care about the graves.

In London we have some splendid memorials, but no money for their upkeep.

Olde Crone
18-06-19, 20:43
I have to say that I have only visited my father's grave once, due to the travel distance involved and the very remote location of the graveyard. The council maintains the graves by virtue of mowing over them. Only flat memorials are allowed, in order to facilitate the upkeep.

Having recently visited a local church graveyard looking for someone's ancestors, I was shocked and saddened at the appalling state of many of the graves. Put simply, none of their relatives are tending them.