PDA

View Full Version : False link

Jill
27-04-19, 21:35
I was delighted to see a DNA match which Ancestry helpfully linked to my 5x great grandfather even though the match only had 16 people on his tree so I fired off a cheery message to my new distant cousin.

Things started to fall apart when his grandfather's WW1 obituary mentioned a different bride, ooh a bigamist I thought but that was not the case, my DNA match has married his grandmother to the wrong Frampton, mine from Somerset instead of his one from the Isle of Wight.

Note to self - check carefully and don't get carried away.

Helpfully though, barking up the wrong tree has helped my find that my relation Henry Frampton Badcock in later life went by the name of Henry Frampton Frampton.

Phoenix
27-04-19, 22:16
So how are you related? Can you find out? Their tree may be wrong, but there must be a link somewhere.

Jill
28-04-19, 08:22
He has such a tiny tree that there's no way of knowing unless he does some more research.

The grandfather he missed off came from the Isle of Wight, I have some Sussex and Hampshire ancestors. he has another ancestor from Wiltshire, I have some ancestors on the Berks/Wilts borders but there is not enough to follow up. He's in the 5th to 8th cousin category so I think I will let it lie for now.

JBee
28-04-19, 09:22
It is still the quality of the trees that matter.

I have one contact that has attached a Lord to his tree but can see absolutely no connection to my line. wishful thinking I think.

kiterunner
28-04-19, 12:32
He has such a tiny tree that there's no way of knowing unless he does some more research.

I have managed to figure out my connection with certain people on my match list even if they only have their parents' names in their tree, by tracing them back myself, or at least searching other trees on ancestry for the same people (which is how ThruLines works, I realise, so not always right!). In some cases if they have no tree at all, it is possible as long as their name is unique or very rare.