PDA

View Full Version : Relationships

Margaret in Burton
26-04-19, 15:18
Not really had chance to look at much today but how do Ancestry work out relationships?
A second cousin once removed who I made contact with via GR years ago is listed as a 4th cousin.

My first cousins son who is my first cousin once removed is listed as my 2nd cousin and to my daughters a 3rd cousin when he is actually their 2nd cousin.

Phoenix
26-04-19, 15:42
You have 50% DNA from father and 50% from mother but (in theory at least) you could have 50% DNA from paternal grandfather and 0% from paternal grandmother.
Ancestry is only saying what the likely relationship is, not what it actually is.
Sib's child is more closely related to some people than I am - which doesn't seem fair! - and makes a mockery of relationships.

kiterunner
26-04-19, 15:54
It's just an estimate of the relationship based on the amount of shared DNA, Marg.

Margaret in Burton
26-04-19, 16:13
Thanks. I understand now

JBee
27-04-19, 17:14
If you look at your thru lines you will see a more accurate relationship based on submitted trees.

On the ordinary dna part it says my son is a 2nd cousin to his half aunt but on thru lines its correct as a half aunt.

However that is on the presumption that the trees are correct.

Have found person who has made a connection to a Lord c1800 but I haven't found anything that even possibly confirms that - wishful thinking I think.

Margaret in Burton
27-04-19, 17:57
If you look at your thru lines you will see a more accurate relationship based on submitted trees.

On the ordinary dna part it says my son is a 2nd cousin to his half aunt but on thru lines its correct as a half aunt.

Have found person who has made a connection to a Lord c1800 but I haven't found anything that even possibly confirms that - wishful thinking I think.

Not got thru lines yet, at least I hadn’t this morning. It’s early days for me

Phoenix
27-04-19, 21:18

I think that the "Lord" in someone else's tree is actually an errant ancestor of mine:o:d