PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with Mountsorrel brick wall

jacktaylor
09-04-19, 12:37
Hello everyone,i wonder if anyone could give me a hand to find the parents of John Taylor born 1754 in Mountsorrel,Leicestershire?
I have been stuck at this point for years!,Ive searched births,marriages and burials for surrounding areas but nothing,the only thing i know is the father was also called John Taylor but no clues for the wife.
One possibility is John Taylor born 1716 in Mountsorrel but i thought that maybe he would be to old?

Thank you,i would be very grateful for any advise or assitance

Merry
09-04-19, 12:44
Hello Jack, welcome to the forum.

I doubt it will make much difference (!), but perhaps you could tell us a bit more about your John Taylor - when and where he married, and when and where he was buried, plus how you know the name of his father. Do you now his occupation?

Thanks.

jacktaylor
09-04-19, 13:20
Hi Merry,Thank you

Yes sorry probably wont help but all i know is he married Sarah Willows 1780 in Mountsorrel.I havent found a burial for him but John and Sarah had the following children:
Mary Taylor 1782
John Taylor 1786
Elizabeth 1789
William 1792
All born Mountsorrel

John Taylor 1786 and his descendants stayed in Mountsorrel until around the 1880s

Thanks

kiterunner
09-04-19, 13:51
Here are some thread on other sites about the same family, just so we don't go over the same ground:

https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/92749-John-Taylor-Mountsorrel-Leicestershire

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=803066.0

kiterunner
09-04-19, 14:06
The John Taylor born 1716 would not be too old to father a child in 1754! Do you have details of any other children baptised at Mountsorrel before and after 1754 with father's name John Taylor?

And do you have the names of the witnesses at John and Sarah's wedding, please?

kiterunner
09-04-19, 14:19
Findmypast's Leicestershire Wills & Probate Records lists entries for John Taylor of Mountsorrell 1743 and Thomas Taylor of Mountsorrell 1724. I haven't viewed the entries on there as I don't have a sub, but I don't think it will give full details of the wills or admons anyway; you would probably need to view them at Leicestershire Archives or order copies from there. They might possibly have some clues.

ElizabethHerts
09-04-19, 14:23
The image for the 1743 will is there. It is an Administration (with Inventory) in which Ann Taylor, widow, is named.

kiterunner
09-04-19, 14:27
Thanks, Elizabeth.

ElizabethHerts
09-04-19, 14:29
The other will is there too. Thomas is the brother of a John Taylor.

jacktaylor
09-04-19, 14:49
The John Taylor born 1716 would not be too old to father a child in 1754! Do you have details of any other children baptised at Mountsorrel before and after 1754 with father's name John Taylor?

And do you have the names of the witnesses at John and Sarah's wedding, please?

Hi,no i couldnt find any other children with the fathers name John around the same time,there is another family in Mountsorrel with Parents John and Ann but they have a differnet John who was born in 1765
Im sorry but i dont have the names of witnesses at the wedding either

kiterunner
09-04-19, 15:36
The witnesses' names might possibly help as they could be relatives, but of course they might be no help at all. Are you able to get to Leicestershire Archives to look at records there, or is it far away from you?

Merry
09-04-19, 15:47
The marriage entry is on FMP.....

The witnesses are John Shenton and Bryan Moore (possibly a serial witness)

Other details are: both otp, banns, both made mark, witnesses both signed, 26 Dec 1780 at Chapelry of Mountsorrel. Marriage celebrated by John Simpson, curate.

The register is very neatly completed.

Merry
09-04-19, 15:58
I think the Chapelry of Mountsorrel was/is in the parish of Barrow upon Soar.

kiterunner
09-04-19, 16:20
Well, there is a John Shenton / Elenor Talor marriage 25 Sep 1737 at Lutterworth, but could well just be a coincidence since Taylor is such a common name and since Lutterworth isn't particularly near to Mountsorrel. But there is the burial of an Eleanor Shenton, wife of John, 19 Jul 1777 at Mountsorrel, so that makes it more likely the marriage is relevant.

Merry
09-04-19, 16:24
Hi,no i couldnt find any other children with the fathers name John around the same time,there is another family in Mountsorrel with Parents John and Ann but they have a differnet John who was born in 1765

Mountsorrel baptisms with father named John, 1734-1774:

William 1735 John and Ann

Richard 1738 John and Ann

John 1754 John

Have you looked at other nearly parishes to see if you can find any other baptisms that might fit the gap between 1738 and 1754?

The 1765 (19 Nov) baptism you mentioned is for John the son of William and Ann Taylor, not the son of John and Ann Taylor. (at least, that's the only match I could find in 1765)

jacktaylor
09-04-19, 16:38
The witnesses' names might possibly help as they could be relatives, but of course they might be no help at all. Are you able to get to Leicestershire Archives to look at records there, or is it far away from you?

hi yes ive been in Spain for a few years now but i will have to get myself up there next time im over

jacktaylor
09-04-19, 16:40
The marriage entry is on FMP.....

The witnesses are John Shenton and Bryan Moore (possibly a serial witness)

Other details are: both otp, banns, both made mark, witnesses both signed, 26 Dec 1780 at Chapelry of Mountsorrel. Marriage celebrated by John Simpson, curate.

The register is very neatly completed.

thank you merry,thats interesting and something i hadnt seen before

jacktaylor
09-04-19, 16:46
Mountsorrel baptisms with father named John, 1734-1774:

William 1735 John and Ann

Richard 1738 John and Ann

John 1754 John

Have you looked at other nearly parishes to see if you can find any other baptisms that might fit the gap between 1738 and 1754?

The 1765 (19 Nov) baptism you mentioned is for John the son of William and Ann Taylor, not the son of John and Ann Taylor. (at least, that's the only match I could find in 1765)
yes thats right son of William,i got muddled up.he would have been grandson of John and Ann
It would be nice if they where the parents i was looking for -John Taylor and Ann Jarratt but i was put off by the gap in birth years.
I have looked through lots of nearby parish records and they are the closest that i have came across

jacktaylor
09-04-19, 16:50
Well, there is a John Shenton / Elenor Talor marriage 25 Sep 1737 at Lutterworth, but could well just be a coincidence since Taylor is such a common name and since Lutterworth isn't particularly near to Mountsorrel. But there is the burial of an Eleanor Shenton, wife of John, 19 Jul 1777 at Mountsorrel, so that makes it more likely the marriage is relevant.

thank you i will look her up

kiterunner
09-04-19, 17:23
yes thats right son of William,i got muddled up.he would have been grandson of John and Ann
It would be nice if they where the parents i was looking for -John Taylor and Ann Jarratt but i was put off by the gap in birth years.
I have looked through lots of nearby parish records and they are the closest that i have came across

The John who was husband of Ann, and father of William and Richard, could be the one who died in 1743, since Elizabeth said his admon named Ann Taylor, widow (post #7 above).

Merry
09-04-19, 17:47
Good point Kate.

jacktaylor
09-04-19, 18:12
The John who was husband of Ann, and father of William and Richard, could be the one who died in 1743, since Elizabeth said his admon named Ann Taylor, widow (post #7 above).

Yes also just i looked him up and if he was alive in 1754 he would have 56 years old

kiterunner
09-04-19, 18:17
Jack, if you have access to Findmypast, you could try looking through any other Mountsorrel wills that they have in the Leicestershire Probate records, in case any of them mention the Taylors.

kiterunner
09-04-19, 18:18
Yes also just i looked him up and if he was alive in 1754 he would have 56 years old

That wouldn't make him too old to father a child.

jacktaylor
09-04-19, 18:29
Jack, if you have access to Findmypast, you could try looking through any other Mountsorrel wills that they have in the Leicestershire Probate records, in case any of them mention the Taylors.

I have done in the past,but will look through again and if anything interesting comes up i will re subscribe

Mary from Italy
10-04-19, 00:19
Have you checked the Rothley parish records? The South End of Mountsorrel came under Rothley, and many of the Rothley parish registers have a separate section for Mountsorrel.

jacktaylor
10-04-19, 07:51
Have you checked the Rothley parish records? The South End of Mountsorrel came under Rothley, and many of the Rothley parish registers have a separate section for Mountsorrel.

Hi Mary,yes i have and surrounding villages

jacktaylor
11-04-19, 18:40
Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.After going through all of the Leicestershire births and marriages for John Taylor around that time frame i was only left with one possiblity who was from Syston.
I will go with that for now and see if it ties in.
Thank you