PDA

View Full Version : How long should I wait?

ElizabethHerts
08-04-19, 11:08
I sent OH's DNA kit off last Monday afternoon but it wouldn't have been collected from the postbox until Tuesday morning. It had an Ireland address on it.

I still haven't received any acknowledgement of it having been received. What should I expect to? My kit was received and acknowledged after just a couple of days.

Phoenix
08-04-19, 11:40
I think it probably took ten days to get an acknowledgement, but sib's child and I posted the kit together, in the same box, and mine was processed and available a good week before theirs.

ElizabethHerts
08-04-19, 11:45
Thanks, Phoenix. I'll have to be patient for a few days more.

ElizabethHerts
10-04-19, 08:32
I found this on the website:

If you activated your test, it's been more than five weeks since you mailed it, and the status bar on your DNA homepage still doesn't show that the test has arrived, please give us a call. It's not uncommon for two DNA tests sent in at the same time to be marked as arrived some days or even weeks apart.

I hope I don't have to wait five weeks - I couldn't stand the suspense!

ElizabethHerts
12-04-19, 10:57
I've just received an email informing me the sample has been received.

Phoenix
12-04-19, 11:14
Yay! (Now to persuade sib we should test my aunt...)

ElizabethHerts
12-04-19, 11:33
Phoenix, I wish that DNA testing had been around when our parents were alive.
My son-in-law wants his father to be tested. It should help to solve a mystery.

Kit
12-04-19, 12:04
I've just received an email informing me the sample has been received.

yay!! I kept watching mine daily to see if the progress had changed. I was so impatient.

Why do you need sibs permission?

maggie_4_7
12-04-19, 12:30

I have a vision of you, everywhere you go, whipping out test tubes for saliva samples :D

Phoenix
12-04-19, 14:21
I have a vision of you, everywhere you go, whipping out test tubes for saliva samples :D

Now I've got the bit between my teeth...
And yes, it will be very much like that.

Kit, it is an ethical dilemma, since we both hold power of attorney, and she isn't as sharp as she used to be (and never was interested in family when she was)

NickiP
12-04-19, 17:14
Mine took 15 days from posting to show received.

ElizabethHerts
12-04-19, 17:21
Mine took 15 days from posting to show received.

Nicki, my personal one took 4 days from posting to show received. OH's has taken 12 days.

Margaret in Burton
12-04-19, 17:33
Ours were posted just over 2 weeks ago. Me and younger daughter have had an email to say received but eldest not yet.

ElizabethHerts
12-04-19, 17:41
Marg, you also get information on your time line for the person tested.

I think if you click on the tab that says, for example, 1 order in process it should take you through to a page which shows the progress of your sample. Mine is now showing Sample Processing in Progress.

Kit
13-04-19, 00:14
Now I've got the bit between my teeth...
And yes, it will be very much like that.

Kit, it is an ethical dilemma, since we both hold power of attorney, and she isn't as sharp as she used to be (and never was interested in family when she was)

ok I understand.

Would she be able to spit into the tube? That might be the start of the discussion.

Phoenix
13-04-19, 15:50
Sample secured, Kit!

A little less than up to the line, but she was firing on all cylinders, and no objections from sib.

ElizabethHerts
13-04-19, 15:54
Great, Phoenix! Now the wait for the results.

maggie_4_7
13-04-19, 18:39
Sample secured, Kit!

A little less than up to the line, but she was firing on all cylinders, and no objections from sib.

Well done.

Kit
14-04-19, 03:31
Sample secured, Kit!

woohoo. That was quick. Glad sib was onboard and a sample could be collected.

I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

ElizabethHerts
25-04-19, 19:56
OH's results came through this afternoon.

I'm feeling envious that he has more close matches than I do!

Kit
26-04-19, 02:49
oops. That's rude of him lol. Hopefully you will get close matches soon.

Phoenix
04-05-19, 10:25
I posted my aunt and a friend's DNA off together. I had notification yesterday that both had arrived. Be interesting to see if the results march together!

maggie_4_7
04-05-19, 11:51
I posted my aunt and a friend's DNA off together. I had notification yesterday that both had arrived. Be interesting to see if the results march together!

How many are you managing now?

I have enough trouble sorting out my own :D

Phoenix
04-05-19, 12:10
Way too many, Maggie!
I got manageable results for best mate.

Aunt declares she wants to live to be a hundred, but it seemed prudent to do a test while she is still capable of giving informed consent.

But I reckon I now have enough to keep me occupied for another two years.

ElizabethHerts
04-05-19, 12:51
It's enough work doing two, Phoenix! I have only scraped the surface so far.