PDA

View Full Version : Retracing your steps - Stillaway?

Phoenix
07-04-19, 08:53
Both best mate and I have Sussex ancestors but are not related per Ancestry.

However, we share several DNA matches, who appear to be people with Sussex ancestry.

While at work, I found a distant match for both of us, who also linked to a mutual match, who is Canadian.

I think that my route in is through the surname Stillaway. (Not that I have found that surname in my family) but...

Edith May Stillaway b 1906 Canada was the daughter of George James Stillaway
George James was the son of Thomas Stillaway and Permilia Martin
and Thomas was b 1853 Surrey, the son of James Stillaway of Henfield, Sussex

Henfield is spitting distance from Ashurst and Cowfold, where my Sussex ancestors lived.

Now, I have found another DNA match, whose name I forget:o
They had ancestors in the same area with a name that looks more German than English: Schtellway or some such variant.

Can anyone suggest easy ways to find them?

I've been hunting under place names, but that doesn't seem to throw them up.

ElizabethHerts
07-04-19, 08:58
I have Stilwells in my family who came from the Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey borders.

They became Stilwell or Stillwell but were originally Stillaway from Bramshott in Hampshire. The first baptisms I have were to James and his wife (possibly Joan) in the 1640s and 1650s.

A man called Martin Stilwell holds a database for the Stilwell name.

Here is the link:
http://stilwellhistory.uk/

ElizabethHerts
07-04-19, 09:03
The Stillaways:

http://stilwellhistory.uk/key-families/the-stillaways

ElizabethHerts
07-04-19, 09:14
From the website:

If you are looking for ancestors please use the ‘Contact Me’ link and get in touch, as I hold a database of over 5,500 Stilwell/Stillwells (and a few Stillaways), mainly up to just after World War 1. If you can provide me with as many details as you can on your ancestor, ideally back to the early 1900s, I will carry out a search of the data free of charge.

Phoenix
07-04-19, 09:20
Wow! I didn't expect so comprehensive an answer so fast!

Thanks Elizabeth!

ElizabethHerts
07-04-19, 09:25
You were just lucky I have them too!
I hope you find the information you need, Phoenix.