PDA

View Full Version : DNA - no match?

ElizabethHerts
22-03-19, 07:47
There is an Ancestry tree with one of my Cornish sets of 4x-great-grandparents shown as ancestors to the tree owner.

I can see the tree owner descends through one of the daughters, sister to my 3x-great-grandmother. The research looks sound.

The tree owner has done a DNA test but we have no match.
Should I expect a match if our research is correct, or does this sometimes happen? Should I suspect that somewhere a parent is different from my or his research?

Phoenix
22-03-19, 08:00
I made contact last night with a fourth cousin. Both she and her father had DNA tests done. I'm a match with her father, but not with her. He is 10cM, so either she hasn't inherited that particular snippet or only a small part of it.

ElizabethHerts
22-03-19, 08:09
That's reassuring, Phoenix. We are probably 4th cousins, but I can't see that bottom of the tree.

kiterunner
22-03-19, 10:37
This might help, Elizabeth:
https://isogg.org/wiki/Cousin_statistics

If you share 4xg-grandparents then you would be 5th cousins, so only a 32% chance of your DNA matching according to that site.

ElizabethHerts
22-03-19, 11:32
Thanks, Kate. You always do wonder about children being passed off with the wrong father!

ElizabethHerts
22-03-19, 22:18
We are now in contact. Although we don't match, we both match with another person who has the same descent as this person.

ElizabethHerts
23-03-19, 08:33
Just for information, you can share your DNA matches with someone. You can let them just view them, or manage them (which I know several people do for relatives).

This was useful for me as that is how I found a shared match with the person I don't match with. I had looked at this match myself but the sparse tree didn't give me sufficient information to see which ancestral line we had in common. Now I can deduce it from one of the surnames which the two other people share.