PDA

View Full Version : Confused!

Merry
17-03-19, 17:23
OH was looking at his DNA matches and saw a tree with his grandmother on it. He sent a message to the tree owner and they replied saying his grandmother is their 1st cousin 3x removed (but didn't say anything more!).

OH is out, so he texted me to ask if I could look at it. Trouble is, I can't find anything about this tree owner. I can't find her on his DNA match list and if I search his grandmother's name she only appears on one tree which belongs to someone else.

Why can't I find this woman and her tree??

kiterunner
17-03-19, 17:27
Do you have access to his messages? If so then you should be able to navigate to the person's profile and then it should (hopefully) say they are a DNA match and you can click to view the match and get to their tree that way.

Merry
17-03-19, 17:31
I tried that. Everyone he has written to says they are not a DNA match with him! (isn't that an Ancestry glitch?)

Others he's contacted show one or more trees on their profile so I can click those, but this woman's profile doesn't show any trees.

kiterunner
17-03-19, 17:32
Just thinking about it some more, when you say you searched his grandmother's name, do you mean you searched public trees, or you searched his DNA match list (which can only be searched by surname, not full name)? Some trees don't come up when you search public trees, possibly because there are no records attached to them. If you haven't tried searching his DNA matches for the surname, try that.

kiterunner
17-03-19, 17:33
I tried that. Everyone he has written to says they are not a DNA match with him! (isn't that an Ancestry glitch?)

Oh yes, I've had that happen to me with a few matches recently too. So annoying.

Merry
17-03-19, 17:48
Just thinking about it some more, when you say you searched his grandmother's name, do you mean you searched public trees, or you searched his DNA match list (which can only be searched by surname, not full name)? Some trees don't come up when you search public trees, possibly because there are no records attached to them. If you haven't tried searching his DNA matches for the surname, try that.

Yes, I did both. When I searched his DNA list the results list was massive because the surname is common (Rogers), but I kept on scrolling and scrolling. I asked him if he could remember what level of relation they were, but he hasn't replied. I tried adding the county of birth, but then the results list went from hundreds down to 2!! Neither were the right person.

Phoenix
17-03-19, 17:50
Check his sent messages.
I've just sent a message to someone, but it's the tree manager, not the DNA match.

Merry
17-03-19, 17:58
His sent message was to the person I'm looking for and the same person who replied.

I'm going to re-search the surname on the DNA matches in case I stopped the list before it had finished generating. If this lady is about a 4th cousin of OH (his nan was her 1st cousin 3x removed) then I wouldn't have expected her to be very far down the list. Plus, OH isn't the sort to have made it very far down the list either!!

Merry
17-03-19, 18:04
Scrolled through all 326 matches (well, the list stopped being generated, so I presume that's all the Rogers matches?) and, she isn't there!

Now I'm going to look at Thru Lines.....

kiterunner
17-03-19, 18:16
Could she have the grandmother listed under her married name in her tree? Quite a few people do that, annoyingly.

kiterunner
17-03-19, 18:21
Wait - have you got the beta improved DNA matches thingy from Ancestry Labs? If so, then one of the filters you can use is "Messaged", though it seems to miss out a lot of the people who I've sent messages to. Well, you could try it.

Merry
17-03-19, 18:21
Hmmm.... possible, but OH's message doesn't mention that and I'm pretty sure it would if she had made that error. I'll look though..... Hamilton …..how many matches will there be?!!

Merry
17-03-19, 18:39
Well, he's home now, so let's see how long it takes him to find what he's looking for...………………...

kiterunner
17-03-19, 18:43
Do let us know if he finds it!

kiterunner
17-03-19, 19:41
Oh, I forgot to say - if he finds her, he should make her a "starred match" so she is easier to find in future.

Merry
17-03-19, 19:53
lol

It occurred to me that if the other tree owner says OH's grandmother is her first cousin 3x removed then the tree owner's 3xg-grandparent(s) who are the grandparents of OH's gran would have been on her tree on Ancestry and would have shown up had OH looked at her tree. We know who three of the four grandparents are (her father was illegitimate) so there's a good chance (if OH looked at the tree!) he would have noticed the name(s) as he is very familiar with this part of his tree.

So, the chances are she doesn't have a tree we can view on Ancestry! So, I will have to get him to ask her exactly how she is connected to his grandmother (he asked her that already, but her answer was insufficient and unhelpful!)

Thanks for all your help, Kate and Phoenix.

Merry
17-03-19, 19:53
Oh, I forgot to say - if he finds her, he should make her a "starred match" so she is easier to find in future.

Good point.

Merry
17-03-19, 21:03
A result, of a sort....

On her profile there was no mention of any tree, but just a note saying her research interested were Rogers from West Brom and Simpkins from England.

On a whim I searched marriages of Rogers to Simpkins and then looked at the only one in West Bromwich.

Further prodding showed about half a dozen trees with OH's grandmother attached to a father of the right name and approx. age, but from West Bromwich and definitely not her father! They had bumped off this George Rogers using OH's great-grandfather's death details which had obviously been pulled from OH's tree (I didn't know it was indexed yet). One of these trees had a photo of the tree owner I was looking for, but this tree uses her real name.

At least she isn't on OH's DNA lists, as they are probably not related at all!

kiterunner
17-03-19, 22:34
Right.