PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone explain this please?

Oakum Picker
17-03-19, 07:54
After sitting on my DNA test since last July, I finally 'bit the bullet' and sent it off last month, receiving the results last week. I have been following the various threads on here & am finding the same as everyone else, no trees, too small trees, no response etc.

I must admit the whole thing left me rather underwhelmed although I have been able to confirm several lines of research including a couple around 1800 hundred where I only had circumstantial evidence but had made an educated assumption which has now proved to be correct.

I have hundreds of questions but now to the point. One of my predicted 4th cousins with whom I share 40cm across 3 (still don't really understand what that means), has no tree but an unusual married name so I have traced her back & with some confidence can say that she is the g-gd of my g-gm's brother which in fact makes us 3rd cousins. So far so good.

When I check our ethnicity:
Me Her
73% England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 2%Great Britain
11% Germanic Europe 82%Europe West
8% Ireland and Scotland 9%Ireland/Scotland/Wales
6% Norway 1%Scandinavia
2% Sweden

How can that be?

maggie_4_7
17-03-19, 08:49
It is because her ancestors are different from you from ggm's brother forwards and would have had other DNA coming in.

Phoenix
17-03-19, 09:05
Ancestry asks us to update our ethnicity on a regular basis.
They derive their results from ours.
I am very, very British, with just 3% French. But when I click on the French ethnicity information, they have none. This must mean that Ancestry is collecting data from very, very few contributors who are French, which probably means that I have no French blood at all.
If you look at both sets of results in ten years time, they may be hugely refined.

Olde Crone
17-03-19, 09:20
Phoenix

I have it in my mind that France does not allow dna testing. I am quite prepared to be proved wrong though!

OC

Phoenix
17-03-19, 09:30
I get the feeling the Norfolk doesn't allow DNA testing, either, OC ;)

kiterunner
17-03-19, 09:52
I think it means that she hasn't updated her results since they changed it, Glen.

maggie_4_7
17-03-19, 10:39
Sorry my mistake I assumed Oakum Picker was talking about the % difference rather than the labels.

maggie_4_7
17-03-19, 10:43
Phoenix

I have it in my mind that France does not allow dna testing. I am quite prepared to be proved wrong though!

OC

They don't allow home DNA kits but the citizens get around it by ordering from abroad mostly UK and the USA. 78% of their citizens want the ban lifted on home DNA kits.

Oakum Picker
17-03-19, 10:47
Thanks everyone. That makes sense Kate as she hasn't logged in since May 2017 and having only just done mine I've never seen another estimate.

Olde Crone
17-03-19, 13:18
Thanks Mggie, nice to know I haven't gone completely gaga yet!

OC