PDA

View Full Version : My DNA Results

maggie_4_7
13-02-19, 08:13
Well they are in and as I thought nothing unusual insomuch that it is evenly split. Not sure what Northwestern Europe includes.

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe = 50%
Southern England
East Anglia & Essex

Ireland and Scotland = 50%
Scotland
Central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland

I have a lot of matches on Ancestry two very close and I was confused with one but now realise she is a very close relative who has uploaded them in her married name which I didn't know and another is a contact in Australia whose mother was my maternal grandmother's niece.

Lots of 3rd and 4th cousins, a lot from the Scottish side but I haven't had time to look at them all in detail and a lot from the English side a few from the English side that I recognise as contacts I have already.

Two interesting ones is a Jewish connection and a Dutch connection. I can only assume one of my ancestors married one of their ancestors but one doesn't have a tree (Dutch) and the other only has 20 names on it.

Anyway annoyingly I have to go out in hour I have a meeting so I will look at it in more detail later.

ElizabethHerts
13-02-19, 08:36
So pleased they are in, Maggie.

I'm envious of your 3rd and 4th cousin matches. I have one 2nd cousin match, one 3rd cousin match, and lots of 4th-6th cousin matches. I have emailed quite a few people, but only a couple have replied.

maggie_4_7
13-02-19, 08:50
So pleased they are in, Maggie.

I'm envious of your 3rd and 4th cousin matches. I have one 2nd cousin match, one 3rd cousin match, and lots of 4th-6th cousin matches. I have emailed quite a few people, but only a couple have replied.

Actually not many 3rd cousins only three. Oh and the 4th cousins could be 4th - 6th cousins have now noticed the breakdown. It is a lot to take in.

I have 231 2nd, 3rd and 4th cousin matches. Although broken down two 2nd cousins (I know both connections) three 3rd cousins (I don't know any of these) the rest are 4th cousin matches and having had a quick look I have had contact with 4 of them.

Kit
14-02-19, 01:35
If you go to the Ethnicity page it should tell you what northwestern europe means, assuming you used ancestry.

Good luck with the matches. I've found some useful information just by looking at online trees and seeing what I can prove from things I didn't know.

maggie_4_7
14-02-19, 06:48
If you go to the Ethnicity page it should tell you what northwestern europe means, assuming you used ancestry.

Good luck with the matches. I've found some useful information just by looking at online trees and seeing what I can prove from things I didn't know.

What is a bit annoying is some don't have trees on Ancestry but I am looking at the shared matches, which gives me an idea of which bit of the family the link comes from. I have been doing the same with the ones with private trees. Some only have 4 or 5 people on their trees!

There are a few trees on my matches where I cannot see any connection and they go back generations, one of them has a lot of Native American ancestors. I have a suspicion where the link is but I was going around in circles yesterday.

I was being a bit erratic yesterday but I think I shall now make a plan and get organised better because I think a couple could knock down a few brick walls.

I assume that when these people look at their matches and click on new I will appear?

Kit
14-02-19, 07:05
Yes, you should appear as new but I do wonder how often people check. Dad only wanted to know his ethnicity and so I can do what I want with the matches and I think many are like that.

Shared matches only got me so far. I have many without trees or shared matches or are from the US. I can only think someone went to the US and had a dozen children who then all had a dozen and so forth but somehow his name has been forgotten or is untraceable so I can't solve the link. It's frustrating.

Mary from Italy
14-02-19, 19:27
I've found that it's paid dividends to search the families of my direct ancestors' siblings forward as far as possible, because the surnames of people they married will often turn up in someone's tree.

Olde Crone
14-02-19, 21:07
Maggie,

I don't know if this relevant to your results but every time I see "native american ancestors" I remember a big discussion about this on another site and when I googled it, it would seem that actually, the american indian tribe had western (british?) dna and it is that which shows up as shared.

As I say, maybe not relevant to your results.

OC

kiterunner
14-02-19, 22:06
Depends what Maggie meant by "one of them has a lot of Native American ancestors", OC - in their tree or in their ethnicity breakdown?

I came across a public tree recently where the author had annotated some of their ancestors with a symbol that they used to denote Native Americans, and they had recently added a comment saying that they had just realised that "native" on the particular census they were looking at (I think it was a Canadian one) just meant born in the country, not actually Native American at all!

maggie_4_7
14-02-19, 22:57
No I meant Native American Indians, there are census returns with Indian on and also their tribe name is noted as Pawnee and they have Native American Indian names. I would say 90% ancestors on this tree are Native American Indian I have spotted no father listed on at least one female ancestor.

The owner of the tree has Shared DNA: 38 cM across 2 segments with me which in the scheme of things is pretty low but I am just curious.

I think I know what happened some of my ancestors siblings went to the USA and then a few went into Kansas and Oklahoma, farming community, I think there must be a descendant in amongst that tree.

As an aside another of my ancestors siblings descendent from another branch did actually go to Indian territory, Outagamie County, Wisconsin home of the Oneida Tribe .

maggie_4_7
15-02-19, 12:36
Well I found an online DNA tool how good it is is anyone's guess, at the moment I am just fiddling about.

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

and on the amount of cM it calculates the predicted relationship!

Edit to say I have put in the cM for my closest and known relationships and it was pretty accurate.

https://thednageek.com/the-limits-of-predicting-relationships-using-dna/

kiterunner
15-02-19, 13:32
It's worth noting that the number of cM shared with any particular match may come up differently on different sites. For instance, ancestry says I share 829 cM across 38 segments with my first cousin, but My Heritage says 906.2 cM across 26 segments.

Kit
15-02-19, 22:38
So much for an exact science.

Phoenix
16-02-19, 06:20
It's worth noting that the number of cM shared with any particular match may come up differently on different sites. For instance, ancestry says I share 829 cM across 38 segments with my first cousin, but My Heritage says 906.2 cM across 26 segments.

Ancestry seems to filter out segments of less than 6.0 cM. It may be that My Heritage counts everything, including tiny fragments, but calls a segment anything - say - in excess of 10 cM.

I'm mainly interested in those who only share about 4 - 10 cM, so find it frustrating that Ancestry doesn't detect matches where they may exist.

maggie_4_7
16-02-19, 06:46
Ancestry seems to filter out segments of less than 6.0 cM. It may be that My Heritage counts everything, including tiny fragments, but calls a segment anything - say - in excess of 10 cM.

I'm mainly interested in those who only share about 4 - 10 cM, so find it frustrating that Ancestry doesn't detect matches where they may exist.

Phoenix, have you uploaded to GEDMatch?

Phoenix
16-02-19, 07:28
Maggie, I'm very dubious about putting my DNA in too many places. Don't care for myself, but I know sib has reservations, which I feel I have to respect.

maggie_4_7
16-02-19, 08:33
Maggie, I'm very dubious about putting my DNA in too many places. Don't care for myself, but I know sib has reservations, which I feel I have to respect.

That is fair enough, I must admit I still have some reservations too.

Kit
16-02-19, 21:11
I've uploaded to GEDmatch but my matches are 'research' so no one can see them. The problem I've found is that there is no way to work out how you are related except by emailing the person. While GEDCOMs can be uploaded I can't work out if a tree has been uploaded or how to view it.

kiterunner
16-02-19, 22:21
Is this what you need, Toni?

https://www.gedmatch.com/dna_gedcom_match1.php

I don't actually use GEDmatch, so I could be wrong.

Kit
17-02-19, 05:36
Yes it is. Thank you very much.

It is very confusing. I entered the first kit number off Dad's list and it gives a list of roughly another 100 kit numbers. It was overwhelming and confusing and very similar to another screen I have seen before.

I've realised that half way along the top row is a GEDCOM ID so it the link to the tree. I'm thinking that the list of kit numbers must all be related to each other, maybe.

maggie_4_7
17-02-19, 07:13

I have that elusive Norfolk match on Ancestry, they are on GEDMatch too, I can't find the link yet though :confused:

maggie_4_7
23-02-19, 14:48
Well I am slowly sorting out the matches but what a job. Some are on Ancestry, MyHeritage and GEDMatch so crosschecking but some are only on one of them!

I have another 2 3rd cousins pop up on Ancestry with no bloody trees and no match to anyone else.

There are few that have me completely baffled to be honest I think it will take a thousand years to do it and I go around in circles.

I have messaged about 3 people over the course of the last week, one in New Zealand I had a response from immediately but I am still baffled.

But I love it anyway :):D

Kit
25-02-19, 03:54
But I love it anyway :):D

That's the important thing.

maggie_4_7
25-02-19, 11:53
What is has confirmed is that my Scottish research is correct and I am descended from the families I thought I was, a lot of people in Australia and New Zealand descended from my Youngs, McMillans, McEwans and Shaw families are matching with my DNA.