PDA

View Full Version : Surprising ethnicity results?

Merry
28-01-19, 06:39
We had expected OH's results to show about 50% Spanish and our children to be about 25% Spanish.

Instead, OH's shows 7% and our children about 5%.

OH's father was from Barcelona and though we don't have his tree going back very many generations, there was no movement from that area for the time span we have covered. We do know for certain that OH's father was his biological father, thanks to the results of a DNA test required for OH to have the correct father's name put on his birth certificate (long story and several other threads here about that!).

OH's results show a higher percentage for France (32% - but no known ancestors from France), our son's results show 8% France and our daughter's 0% France.

OH was reading an Ancestry forum where many people were complaining that their Spanish ancestry didn't show up anywhere (or that it had switched from Spain to France recently), but no one seemed to have an explanation.

Any idea why this would be?

kiterunner
28-01-19, 08:46
I'm guessing that either they haven't got enough Spanish data to use for comparison yet, or that there was ancient migration from France to Spain.

Merry
28-01-19, 09:36
Oooh, good, that's exactly what I said, but he never wants to believe what I have to say! Thanks Kate.

maggie_4_7
28-01-19, 10:25
Not hard to imagine Barcelona is right near the border and Marseille is just up the coast across the bay.

Merry
28-01-19, 12:39
No, I agree, but I think we were expecting Spanish/North African (Moors/Berbers) rather than Parisienne!

maggie_4_7
28-01-19, 14:34
No, I agree, but I think we were expecting Spanish/North African (Moors/Berbers) rather than Parisienne!

They all ended up in Gozo, Malta and the other Med islands.