PDA

View Full Version : Next DNA Q

Merry
23-01-19, 17:44
I clicked 'View all DNA Matches' and then 'Search Matches'.

I entered my father's surname and got two trees come up with potential matches (I note the Ancestry member on my DNA matches who actually has my dad's surname didn't appear!).

I opened the first tree and found that they had my 3x-great-grandfather on their tree. From this I could see they are my 4th cousin once removed and I already have what's probably either her father or uncle on my tree with a photo of him at one of his daughter's weddings (so in the past I've been in touch with the dad - I only add living people when I've been in touch with them). Eureka (I thought)!!

However, though whilst I was viewing her tree I could see this written under her user name:

Predicted relationship: Distant Cousins
Possible range: 5th - 8th cousins

when I click on her user name it states:

(her name) is not on your DNA match list
This person is either not a DNA match or has not yet taken a DNA test.

So, what on earth does that mean???

kiterunner
23-01-19, 18:29
I think it says "not on your DNA match list" as a default while it checks, and if it's going slow, it can take a while to replace it with the correct information.

As for 5th-8th cousin when she is your 4th cousin once removed, it's not always very accurate once you get past approx 2nd or 3rd cousin.

kiterunner
23-01-19, 18:31
Also when you click to view shared matches, it says there aren't any as a default till it gets around to loading them.

Merry
23-01-19, 20:01
I think it says "not on your DNA match list" as a default while it checks, and if it's going slow, it can take a while to replace it with the correct information.

Oh, OK. I'll have another look in a few days. Presuming you mean a long while?!!

kiterunner
23-01-19, 21:47
I didn't mean days, no. Just minutes.

Merry
23-01-19, 21:53
Well, I've been refreshing the page periodically since I posted this thread and no change as yet! I will have another look tomorrow.

kiterunner
23-01-19, 22:32
Does she still show up on your list of matches, Merry?

Merry
24-01-19, 06:00
Yes, she does.

Now I've realised this anomaly happens with every DNA matched person on my tree where their tree appears via 'Search Matches', I'm no longer bothered by it as I realise it doesn't mean anything! No change this morning