PDA

View Full Version : Whose DNA should I test?

Tom Tom
13-01-19, 09:15
I am interested in the whole DNA testing and would like to see what connections it throws up.
I am also hoping it may tell me something about a lady on my Grandmother's tree - she was born in the West Indies and I've always wondered if she had some Caribbean heritage.

My question is, am I better having my DNA tested, or my parents? That would mean I would know which side any potential matches came from and which side has the Scottish DNA or the European DNA etc.
I am also fortunate to have one grandparent left - the one mentioned above. Would it be worth getting her to do a test? I guess that would mean I could compare her test to my dad's and would then know which bits were my paternal grandfathers line?

Thanks!

kiterunner
13-01-19, 09:18
If you can afford it, and if they are o.k. with it, I would go with having your parents and grandmother tested, not yourself.

kiterunner
13-01-19, 10:16
Oh, and can I add - don't pay for the FMP / Living DNA test as you are unlikely to get many matches from that. They may still be allowing free uploads when you get your results from whichever company you go with. Ancestry doesn't allow uploads from other sites which is one reason why a lot of people do their test.

Tom Tom
13-01-19, 21:31
Thanks Kate.
I would have to do one at a time to spread the cost.
I think I'm right I'm saying I would need to set them up on ancestry but then I could be a manager of their matches.
Shall speak to my Grandma about it; this could get quite complicated. Haha!

Phoenix
13-01-19, 21:46
Prioritise your grandmother. I would like to test my aunt, but it feels unethical, as I'm not sure she would really understand what she was doing.

For everyone else, I'd probably wait till they next offer a £49 deal.

marquette
13-01-19, 21:57
I agree, test your parents and grandparent - the DNA is less diluted - but you could also get yourself tested to see more about your maternal lines.

We tested my Dad and two granddaughters on ancestry (I am on FtDNA but thinking I might do an ancestry test too) and the patchwork of matches is really intriguing. Over 25 of Dad's relatives have done Ancestry tests, its amazing to see who matches whom.

Go with ancestry, especially if you already have a tree there, you can be the manager for all and link everyone to the same tree.

Grandmother, dad and yourself will have the same DNA, and should have no unattached matches. Any matches with just Dad and you should be his paternal line. Yours that dont match dad must be mums.

Without the grandparent level, you and your mother would have a series of matches which might be of interest. Depends if you have any mysteries to solve there.

A lot of my matches show no apparent link to anyone in my tree. But a bit of online research usually results in a family link hint.

You can also upload to GEDMatch, a free website, which allow manipulation of comparisons a lot more than Ancestry.

Di

kiterunner
13-01-19, 22:01
Di, I don't see that Tom testing his own DNA would have any advantage over just testing his mum's, as far as his maternal line goes? Nor on his paternal side. Also, there should be some matches to his grandmother who don't match to his dad, as his dad only has half of the grandmother's DNA. And as Tom said, matches which his Dad has which don't match to his grandmother will be from his Dad's father's line.

marquette
13-01-19, 22:23
Kite,

I guess, there is not really a point to Tom testing himself, from the point of view of finding about his grandmother, but boy, it will be hard to resist! He will really want to know how much of grandma's and Dad's DNA he has.

My daughter has slightly more of her Dad's DNA than mine - now her sister wants to find out if she is opposite, as she is more like physically and personality-wise. Her cousin has slightly less of grandpa's DNA than her (via my sister) but they are very physically alike.

Sorry, I meant to mean, that DNA from grandma to Tom via Dad, should be the same - on the same chromosomes. He should not have any of Grandmas that Dad does not have, I think - now I have confused myself.

JBee
14-01-19, 12:18
My half sister wants our mother to do a dna test but she has dementia and is in a home.

I'm not sure she would be capable of doing the split test but wonder if ancestry or anyone else does the swab test.

There's also the problem of consent.

Kit
15-01-19, 21:55
There is a US test that does a swab test as there is a lot of interest in OHs DNA. He seems to be the only known male descendant from a particular branch that the US believe they belong to but can't prove. The person who helped me with my brickwall, which discovered our connection to the branch, said that if we were interested she was sure that many people would offer to pay for a swab test.

Tom I'd start with Grandma but talk to your parents at the same time. If they are interested it might help her decide to go ahead. If she suspects there are any skeletons in the tree then you might have a tough time convincing her.

Olde Crone
15-01-19, 22:10
My very limited understanding of it is that it is best to have the oldest living generation tested as that gives you possibilities of linking to earlier generations which your own dna will not reach. More recent generations are then useful for triangulation.

OC

Phoenix
16-01-19, 07:41
Best Mate's father was born in 1899 (to say she was an unplanned baby is putting it mildly!) so some of the connections I am finding are much further back in time than I would have expected.